Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HKG - is it possible to through check baggage on overnight connections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HKG - is it possible to through check baggage on overnight connections?

I'm aware that some airports only allow same-day interlining of bags but not sure whether this applies to HKG.

I'm arriving in HKG at 2045 on CX from DPS, and departing on QF to MEL at 0900 the next morning since the QF departure on the same evening falls short of MCT. Both flights are on the same ticket (DONE4). I am not booking a hotel room since this is a Saturday night and I'd be club hopping, and getting a shower at one of the lounges when I get back to the airport in the morning.

So I was wondering if CX at DPS will be able to check my bags through to MEL? Or would I be required to pick them up and re-check them at HKG since this isn't a same-day connection?

I suppose I could always use the baggage storage facility at Hong Kong AE station, but would like one less thing to worry about.

Ta.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Found my own answer elsewhere.

And the answer is... YMMV. As in, can be done officially even if overnight but some agents will say no.

Anyway the easy solution in the event through check cannot be done: the Prior Day check in facility at HK AE station.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      I'm aware that some airports only allow same-day interlining of bags but not sure whether this applies to HKG.

I'm arriving in HKG at 2045 on CX from DPS, and departing on QF to MEL at 0900 the next morning since the QF departure on the same evening falls short of MCT. Both flights are on the same ticket (DONE4). I am not booking a hotel room since this is a Saturday night and I'd be club hopping, and getting a shower at one of the lounges when I get back to the airport in the morning.

So I was wondering if CX at DPS will be able to check my bags through to MEL? Or would I be required to pick them up and re-check them at HKG since this isn't a same-day connection?

I suppose I could always use the baggage storage facility at Hong Kong AE station, but would like one less thing to worry about.

Ta.
      Good day! I have actually done that before...was too lazy bringing my baggage around in s'pore (all the hassle checking in the hotel and back to changi)....i flew on CX 713 from BKK - arrived s'pore in the evening. I actually told CX ground staff in BKK to check my baggage straight to Penang the next day which they actually allow (SQ 196) - which was rather risky for me...but i took the gamble...and it paid off...

My baggage arrive in Penang the day after in one piece!

Cheers!!

Comment

Originally posted by KevSQ View Post
        Good day! I have actually done that before...was too lazy bringing my baggage around in s'pore (all the hassle checking in the hotel and back to changi)....i flew on CX 713 from BKK - arrived s'pore in the evening. I actually told CX ground staff in BKK to check my baggage straight to Penang the next day which they actually allow (SQ 196) - which was rather risky for me...but i took the gamble...and it paid off...

My baggage arrive in Penang the day after in one piece!

Cheers!!
        The OP is talking about HKG, I believe. And your example is about SIN?

Comment

Meant to provide an update on this ages ago but forgot. Anyway, the answer was yes. CX tagged my bag all the way to MEL and even issued my QF boarding pass. Which was lucky as the QF early check in facility at HK station wasnt open when i got there (tried to change a seat).

Comment

Working...
          X