Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOT pilots' poor English almost led to crash

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/tol/...cle4116523.ece

A Polish airliner came within seconds of colliding with another plane near Heathrow because its pilots had such poor English that they could not understand basic instructions from air traffic controllers. The Lot Boeing 737, carrying 95 passengers and crew, wandered the skies for almost half an hour as the pilots struggled to identify their position. A controller had to instruct another aircraft to change direction to avoid a collision.
    Yikes...
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Wow... I wouldn't want to be on that airplane....

Comment

Originally posted by otnaicus View Post
      Wow... I wouldn't want to be on that airplane....
      You might be... cos aren't they part of *A?

Comment

They are indeed!
        Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

The airline should organise a special English tutorial class for the pilots whose English is below standard. Ha ... Ha...

Comment

In Singapore domestic workers have to pass an English test to be allowed to work here. They should do the same for pilots

Comment

Originally posted by wsssaero View Post
              In Singapore domestic workers have to pass an English test to be allowed to work here. They should do the same for pilots
              Sadly, its only for domestic helpers. I would wish they would extend this to every foreign worker in this country.
              Life's A Bitch,
              Love It

If GOD created me for only 1 reason. That reason would be to the love of my wife. If there was any other reasons involved, that would be for the love of Singapore Airlines

Flown with me? - http://my.flightmemory.com/inix

Comment

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English the international language of air traffic control? so it's almost a necessity to be able to speak it...

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                  correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't English the international language of air traffic control? so it's almost a necessity to be able to speak it...
                  It is the agreed standard language but it is not compulsory to use it. So for example French ATC will quite often speak to French pilots in French. Also there is no minimum standard so in reality a number of Pilots and ATCers have very limited English.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                    It is the agreed standard language but it is not compulsory to use it. So for example French ATC will quite often speak to French pilots in French. Also there is no minimum standard so in reality a number of Pilots and ATCers have very limited English.

Yes but the airlines still have to care about the language skills of their pilots- I mean after all most of LOT's routes will end up in countries where most ATC controllers don't speak the Polish language!
                    Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Working...
                    X