48 hours in Cape Town

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 48 hours in Cape Town

We were in CPT in May. Weather was not particularly fabulous. The rough seas meant we could not go to Robben Island. Fog was rather heavy and we could not see much of Table Mountain. But I’m not complaining -

I was completely captivated by the rough seas and extremely pleased that I captured some images of big waves. Watching the waves and feeling the strong winds rushing against you was an awesome experience.

The fog was not too bad. It provides an air of mystery. When the fog does lift and the sun peeks out, we actually felt more appreciative of the beautiful scenery.

Apartheid might be history in South Africa but old habits never die. We encountered a few incidents in which white customers were completely obnoxious to coloured service staff. I do not like the tone they used. It was as if they think they were some sort of ‘superior ruling class’. Of course, I made a few snide comments to certain people during these incidents.

I am totally in love with South Africa. The sights are impressive. Food is excellent and cheap. Driving is easy. Not much different from the UK, except that I seem to turn the windscreen wiper on each time I want to indicate left/right.

We would be back to South Africa soonish. Wild beasts to capture, whales to watch, penguins to frolic with, wild flowers to collect, nice food to eat, obnoxious people to tell off, at least 12000 airmiles to collect…

Some images of CPT from our short visit. Enjoy.

National Botanical Gardens

Pretty pretty flora and fauna:

Comment

Views from Signal Hill

Due to the heavy fog, not much was seen of Cape Town from the top of the hill:

My SA friend told me that this is meant to be Table Mountain and the white building is the cable car station.

Comment

Our transport

Snazzy Honda Jazz used for our exhilarating drives in Cape Town:

Comment

Coastal drive from Cape Town City to Hout Bay

Heavy fog and stormy sea:

Stalls along the road:

Fog lifted in the late morning - pictures taken from the car:

Comment

Chapman's Peak Drive

Tunnel:

Rock fall catching net along the road:

Phaleesy's Volkswagen ad!

Was hoping these were some exotic fowl- a South African version of a roadrunner perhaps . But a SA friend told me they’re just some common peacock.

Last edited by phaleesy; 9 June 2008, 07:35 AM.

Comment

Cape Point

Midpoint between SIN and LHR!

Comment

Cape of Good Hope

Comment

Very nice... someday may be someone will take me there.

Comment

Thanks Phaleesy for sharing the pics.

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                    Very nice... someday may be someone will take me there.
                    Sniff sniff...someday maybe I will go with someone.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                      Sniff sniff...someday maybe I will go with someone.
                      You mean we should have SQTalk South Africa DO? Thus, you will go with someone at that time?

Comment

You mean we should have SQTalk South Africa DO? Thus, you will go with someone at that time?
                        How I wish Dove siete?

Comment

Actually, I have heard how much better to visit places with your friends, instead of your love one. This is according to my unscientific research with limited married men as respondent!

Comment

This is according to my unscientific research with limited married men as respondent!
                            I don't even want to go there.

Actually, I have heard how much better to visit places with your friends, instead of your love one.
                            Yes indeed...I had most fun the last time in Vancouver.

Comment

Great to see photos of South Africa, one of my favourite places in the world and Cape Town is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

I must get back there soon, I think it is about 4 years since I have been there now.

Comment

Working...
                              X