Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which hotel in Singapore out of the following

Hi there

I was wondering about a 2 night stay in Sinapore for me and my wife after reading some of the threads I'm still not sure where to stay. I was after a place for about £200 or $400 a night. iether Orchard road or near or the Mariana think?!? I dont need buisness facilities.

Nor over the top service that would make us feel uncomfatable.

I was thinking of maybe the Shangri-La but it would have to be the Gargen or Tower wing as the Valley is out of my budget.

Tha Pan Pacific Club king delux as they do an offer with SQ boarding passes

The Fullerton a Quay Room pr Post Master Room or Courtyard Room

Retz Carlton but only a standard room.

What do you think out of these or please suggest others

Thanks for your help

BTW I've posted a few other thread and have had much help this is greatly appreciated as this holiday to SIN australia and newzealnd is a once in a lifetime thing for us I've tried to get everything just right includeing going with SQ buisness class as I think they are the berst airline though never been with them before.

Once agian thanks Skooby

Definitely the Ritz Carlton (for me anyway). Even the standard rooms are top of the line. The Shangri La is overrated, the Fullerton has odd-shaped rooms and the Pan Pacific isnt in the same league as these other hotels.

Comment

skooby, what do you intend to do in SIN? that would help us give a better recommendation.

Comment

Another vote for the Ritz Carlton. The Millenia has a great location (Marina, few minutes walk from the underground, far enough back from the main road to be quiet), the rooms are large, well apponted and very comfortable - the bathrooms in particular, with a view from the tub, sipping a
        G & T....heaven)
        The spa/health thing in the basement - excellent massages.
        Breakfast dining - food is as expected, but the ambience - light and airy - superb.
        Slightly OT - Was even offered the choice of double or twin room - which felt slightly odd - (two blokes sharing one room....I don't need to go any further....)it never really occurred to me until that point how some people chose to interpret - funny how "they must be cheapskates" isn't people's first assumption these days......

Back On Topic....
        The artwork is quite engaging too - something like a 4000 piece collection - could spend a few hours just looking at that lot if you're that way inclined.
        If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

If you like Colonial-era hotels, go for the Fullerton or the Raffles Hotel.

Fullerton is famous for their teas, Raffles is famous for their Singapore Sling.

Ritz-Carlton is good but I found one day that their sushi selection at the Garden restaurant to be not as fresh as some other places. I'm sure their rooms are superb though. I've also heard good things about Mandarin Oriental (great view) and Meritus Mandarin (good Chinese food and famous for Morton's Steakhouse, which in my opinion is overrated).

And the MRT (subway/underground/metro) system is not right next to the Ritz-Carlton... bit of a walk.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys.

Raffels in out of my price range other wise i think i might have gone for it just to say ive stay there:

While were in SIN well just be sight the usual torist stuff seeing and dont mind if we need to take taxis or walk abit.

Would like a good view though full lenth window would be nice.

Thanks Skooby

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post

And the MRT (subway/underground/metro) system is not right next to the Ritz-Carlton... bit of a walk.
              Never said it was "right next to".....just a few minutes away, though i realise "a few minutes" is a subjective measure.
              It's not an epic hike though......10-15mins sound about right? Depending on speed and energy-sapping heat/humidity levels, YMMV........
              If God had really intended men to fly, he'd make it easier to get to the airport.

Comment

Due to the increase in Hotel rates in the last 18 months it's all about bang for your buck these days, and it would depend on what rates you can get for the places you mention. Hotel prices in Singapore fluctuate quite a bit, and some places vary greatly from one week to the next.

I was in the Conrad last week (one of my personal fave's) and it was quoting SGD 600 at the beginning of the week then down to SGD 270 at the end of the week, so it's definitely a consideration.

I have stayed at the RC a few times now and was quite disappointed the last time I was there, probably due to the high standards set the previous time. City Hall MRT is about a 10-15 minute walk from the RC, and a little less from Oriental, Pan Pacific and Marina Mandarin. It's also a bit easier to get too there from the Conrad now as they have just opened a new subway link from Suntec City which is going to be one of the exits to the Esplanade MRT station.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaman View Post
                  Never said it was "right next to".....just a few minutes away, though i realise "a few minutes" is a subjective measure.
                  It's not an epic hike though......10-15mins sound about right? Depending on speed and energy-sapping heat/humidity levels, YMMV........
                  Don't worry buddy - I wasn't rapping on you.

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                  *snip* City Hall MRT is about a 10-15 minute walk from the RC, *snip*
                  This man speaks truth.

If you're rushing aboveground, you can probably manage it in 5 mins (but it sure won't be easy / recommended). You'd have to be just about running though.

For me, Ritz-Carlton to City Hall MRT I'd say is a 10-min walk and 15-min leisurely stroll / bit of window-shopping thrown in..

Comment

Don't worry buddy - I wasn't rapping on you.
                    For me, Ritz-Carlton to City Hall MRT I'd say is a 10-min walk and 15-min leisurely stroll / bit of window-shopping thrown in..
                    That sounds about right.
                    I wouldn't recommend running, or by the time you get to the MRT, you'll look like you've just stepped out of the shower...

I sometime forget that my idea of a "short walk" would cripple some super urban city dwellers, with fantastic door-to-door integrated public transport systems......can't you tell I hate living in a backwards part of the modern world......

Comment

At least now you don't have to walk outdoors on the overpass from the Convention Center to City Link Mall. They got rid of it when they finished the underground link from Marina Square/Suntec City to City Link Mall. Much nicer now.

Comment

I've also heard good things about Mandarin Oriental (great view) and Meritus Mandarin (good Chinese food and famous for Morton's Steakhouse, which in my opinion is overrated).
                        Sorry to prove you wrong there. Morton's is located in the mandarin oriental, and so is the chinese restaurant.

@skooby
                        how about spoiling yourself a little bit. I would definitely go for the Raffles as it is a great experience and come on, I mean it's only for 2 days.
                        You are not, who you are, you are who you want to be.

Comment

I gleefully stand corrected.

I'm always confusing up all the Mandarins...

Comment

I am a big fan of the meritus mandarin and I will probably stay there when I come to Singapore in august. My dad is also a fan of the ritz Carlton, so I guess you should be fine there. I'd prefer the mandarin oriental though. I prefer its style.

Anyway, I vote for orchard. Stay there. No 15 minute walks to the next mrt and everything you need is within direct reach.

What would you say on orchard (this is my big unsolved one...) Hilton, Meritus Mandarin or the Regent?
                            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by florianwagner View Post

What would you say on orchard (this is my big unsolved one...) Hilton, Meritus Mandarin or the Regent?
                              Hilton for me, but it all depends on the rate you can get as they fluctuate a lot. You should check the St Regis, which is next to the Regent. If that's within your budget then I would go for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X