Spreading My Wings - KLM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spreading My Wings - KLM

I have not flown KLM for several years. Since I did not want to go through the US, the options to fly out directly from YVR to Europe are BA and AC to LHR, LH to FRA, and KL to AMS. It was for a long holiday weekend here. Thus, it's a peak travel. What I got was KLM.

I arrived at YVR about 75 minutes before the flight and was so surprised that the check-in area was empty. I guess everyone else checked in earlier.

The lounge used for C pax is the Plaza Premium. In early 2000 - 2002 I think it was AC lounge which SQ used. It still looked the same but refreshed. Nothing interesting to munch in. Spring rolls and soup.
    The place was rather packed. Some LH pax as well as people who has Priority Pass card. So, I decided to head to the gate 71. And here is the MD-11.

Boarding was through door 2L. I was assigned 6A. Row 5 and 6 are to the right of door 2L. Mini cabin before the Y cabin. To the left, there are row 1 to 4. The configuration is 2 - 3 - 2.
    No FA offered me to store my jacket. But when pax in 6D boarded the plane, one of the FA offered him to take care of the jacket. An overlooked? Perhaps the FA only stored the blazer / suits kind of jacket, but not other kind of jacket. My seatmate was not offered with this jacket storage.

Of course it is down memory lane. Remembering those blue color on board...

Economy cabin

Leg room

Comment

Comment

Amenity kits

Later on, each C pax gets a Delft house miniature ceramic.

Comment

Champagne: Piper Heidsieck Brut Reserved

Comment

Comment

Meals Service

I felt asleep right away after the dinner service. The FAs might have recollected the menu since I did not see it anymore around my seats.
              What I remember is that there were three choices for the main course. And we fill a form what we want for breakfast.

Comment

Arriving at gate E2 in AMS. Notice the place for plane watchers.

Comment

AMS is still the same like years ago. Same shops. There are two lounges at the International area. But both were so packed.

And here are the pictures for the short hop to ZRH on 737.

Comment

In short, after taking these KL flights, I know that I feel more at home on SQ. Even I do think that LH or LX are still better than KL. But, I could not understand why many posted how bad KLM is. I would not classified my flights on KLM as bad. The good news is that KLM has two new planes in operations with new seats. Thus if you get those, it might be a different situation. My flight was definitely an old-style seat. No AVOD. Just the loop movies program.
                    And yes, for whoever complaining about how crowded SKL is, it seems every lounges nowdays are crowded. Being at the home lounge of KLM, it gives me more appreciation of beng at SKL C at Changi, even though some would say the SKL C is bad.

Comment

Thanks for the TR, SQ LPP. I've always been curious about KL: their prices to MNL ex-LHR are usually very tempting (though I haven't been courageous enough to jump just yet).

Besides the jacket-hanging episode, how did you find the service? Friendly, or distant?
                      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Strange that jjpb3 asked about the service.

I have to say in my experience, I have not been terribly impressed with KLM especially their service. What service?

My experience have been on regular short Y class hops over to AMS from you know where. In addition, while queuing at a DXB hotel to check-in, a group of KLM flight crew just barged in front of me and thus jumped queue. Both my colleague and I were shocked but we just let them be. My rationale was that they have just finished a flight and was tired. I could have been more assertive like jjpb3.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                          Besides the jacket-hanging episode, how did you find the service? Friendly, or distant?
                          Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                          Strange that jjpb3 asked about the service.

I have to say in my experience, I have not been terribly impressed with KLM especially their service. What service?
                          So you are one of those who think KLM doesn't give service?
                          Actually, it was business as usual. What I mean is that they delivered what we need as a business pax. The FA who serve me the meals was friendly. She offers drinks regularly. She was not in a rush. And even trying to convince me to have the dessert, when I said no.
                          Also, I did not wake up for breakfast. But once they saw me waking up, they rushed to greet me, and told me it's not too late to have my scrambled eggs (30 minutes prior to land which on other airlines would say it's a no no.) I said no, thank you. Just coffee. But still they serve me coffee as well as croissant by saying just in case I feel like to have something.

For the AMS - ZRH, same decent service. Not disappointing. Just the meal box was surprised me. Well, on LH, BA, and LX, they don't use boxes.

Comment

Thanks for the report.

I didn't have a problem with the service on my KLM flights. However I found the cabins rather dire, and have more often than not had problems with my seats. Full flights each time too so no opportunity to move. From memory, the catering and wine lists weren't too exciting, to say the least. The food in SQ LPP's pics look nicer though.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              In short, after taking these KL flights, I know that I feel more at home on SQ. Even I do think that LH or LX are still better than KL. But, I could not understand why many posted how bad KLM is. I would not classified my flights on KLM as bad.
                              i said they were bad because i had a very unpleasant experience in Y with them. C looks okay though .... but i guess flying C is quite always good when you're used to flying Y. but honestly ... from my experience with KL, i'll never fly them again.
                              Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Working...
                              X