X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UA Mileage Plus: End of 500 mile minimum EQM/RDM

http://www.united.com/page/article/0...programchanges

Mileage Plus accrual policy for flights less than 500 miles

To ensure that Mileage Plus miles earned toward award travel on United and elite status are aligned with actual miles flown, we are revising our base accrual policy. Effective July 1, 2008, all travel on United, United Express, Ted, Star Alliance and partner airline* flights credited to the Mileage Plus Program will accrue actual miles, with no minimum. This change affects only those flights that are less than 500 miles. Flights greater than 500 miles have always accrued actual miles, and are not affected by this policy change.

This new mileage structure applies to travel on or after July 1, 2008, regardless of when the flight was ticketed. (Flights of less than 500 miles flown on or before June 30, 2008, will fall under the previous accrual policy.)
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

This will affect those fellas who do LAX-SFO on a regular basis. 500nm to 300nm.

Comment

Boy, they really are getting tight on the mileage...
      HUGE AL

Comment

Yes they are getting tight. This was preceeded by cutting out certain booking classes on other carriers like LH from mileage earning. LH 'E' class domestic in germany comes to mind. I always credited those to MP as I got 500mls vs. LH's own generous 125mls plus exec bonus. Now UA doesn't give anything for those, not even flown miles.

Comment

I don't understand the on TOF. Plenty of other FFPs (including KF) credit only actual miles with no minimums, or even nil miles on cheap fares.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi View Post
            I don't understand the on TOF. Plenty of other FFPs (including KF) credit only actual miles with no minimums, or even nil miles on cheap fares.
            It's a case of being so used to something that you become familiar with it, and when it's gone - one would get upset. I don't know if it's a feeling of entitlement or not, but the airlines do have clauses that permit them to change the terms and conditions of their FFP at their discretion.

Comment

It is true that the 500 minimum miles was a big help in reaching an elite status on UA MP. I used to take PHL-IAD-LAX-SFO which got me more EQM (yeah there were the times when IAD-LAX was served by 3-class international service.

As an example... for someone who could be 1K by doing 100 short segments, he could get 100 x 500 miles x 200% as 1K = 100,000 redeemable miles. But now, if the distance between the two cities this person flies most, let's say 100 miles, then now he only gets 100 x 100 miles x 200% as 1K = 20,000 redeemable miles, which doesn't get even a domestic award ticket.

Comment

I agree with SQ LPP: it depends on the travel pattern and on the benefit that was most valued from the FFP. Someone who has to take short hops frequently (e.g., between cities within the same region of the US or between main cities in Western or Central Europe -- an exhausting travel pattern) and who primarily valued the chance to redeem miles for leisure travel (the status perks coming in second) would have seen the FFP devalued significantly.
                ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Agreed. Very well put, SQ LPP!
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                  X