Monday 12th May 2008
    Departure time: 14:50 (GMT+6)
    Arrival time: 17:45 (GMT+7)
    Distance: 679 miles
    Scheduled flight time: 1hr 55mins
    Aircraft type: B777-200
    Seat: 11K
    Miles accrued: 1017

My final day in Saigon and I woke up just before 08:00 (02:00 GMT). My flight was at 14:50 so I had plenty of time to pack and get ready to fly home. I checked out at a quarter to one and hopped in a taxi for the short drive to the airport. Traffic wasn't anywhere near as bad as it was when I arrived on Friday and it took me less than twenty minutes to get to the international terminal. The fare on the meter was 77,000 Dong which is less than US$5.00.

As I was walking slowly over towards the SQ business class check-in counter this guy comes rushing over, waving his KrisFlyer Gold card in front of him for all the world to see, walking as fast as he could to get to the check-in counter, rollaboard and laptop bag in tow. It was ten minutes past one in the afternoon. The flight wasn't about to leave just yet. I watched him as he checked-in, standing there looking ever so important and a right twat. Why the need to flash his Gold card like that, way before he'd even reached the desk?

After he disappeared I went up to the same counter to check-in for my flight to SIN. I didn't even show my BD Gold card as I knew my number was attached to my booking. I spoke in Vietnamese, greeting the check-in agent politely first - how hard is it to say hello? I produced only my passport and was not asked for my credit card used for the booking. My bags were checked through to LHR and I was given a lounge invitation to the Star Alliance contract lounge.

As I was in no rush to get to the lounge, unlike Mr. DYKWIA, I had a little wander around the new terminal first just to check out the facilities. The Vietnam Airlines lounge certainly looks better than the old one. Then I made my way over to the lounge for some light Vietnamese snacks and fresh fruit.

I didn't spend much time in the lounge, just enough to have some spring rolls and plenty of fresh fruit and a cold ice lemon tea. By the time I boarded the plane I wasn't hungry. The flight itself was uneventful so I'll keep it brief. We pushed back at 14:45 and were in the air by 14:58. I can't remember what was on the menu as I wasn't interested in eating a three-course afternoon meal. Usually I do not eat a lot of food when flying, especially if I have eaten in the lounge beforehand. And fruit certainly does fill you up! When I see fruit I just can't help myself! So all I had on this flight was the dessert, which was a bowl of...fruit! Plus a few cappuccinos.

Landed into SIN T3 at 17:45 on the dot and I was off the plane before six. My flight to LHR would be departing at 23:30 so I had quite some time to kill. I certainly wasn't going to spend five or so hours in a lounge so had decided to go into Singapore to look for some electronic gadgets. Now, because my flight had landed in T3 I decided to drop by the KrisFlyer Gold lounge just to check it out before heading into town (plus I needed my caffeine fix). I had already seen the new C and F lounges but not this one.

As I reached the lounge entrance a guy in a suit produced his Y SQ boarding pass. The receptionist asked for his card. He said he didn't have it. She shook her head and said she needed to see his card. He then took it out of his wallet and literally threw it down on the counter, huffing and puffing and moaning about always being asked to show his card when he had his status printed on his boarding pass. "But sir, your status is not printed on your boarding card" said the receptionist. I stood next to this idiot and watched him make a right fool of himself. "That's your fault" he huffed. The receptionist remained cool and calm and told him about the rules but he just wouldn't listen, talking over her and moaning and being a right total PITA . I tried to intervene but Mr. DYKWIA No.2. told me to mind my own business before going through inside. Fair enough but he didn't have to be quite so rude to the receptionist. I felt sorry for her - see what morons they have to put up with?! Anyway, I went in, less than two minutes and a quick coffee later I was out. I'd seen enough.
    My SQ A380 photos

To: London Heathrow (LHR)
    Flight: SQ322
    Monday 12th May 2008
    Departure time: 23:30
    Arrival time: 05:50 (+1)
    Distance: 6761 miles
    Scheduled flight time: 13hrs 20mins
    Aircraft type: A380-800
    Seat: 15K
    Miles accrued: 10141

After a quick trip to Raffles City and Funan shopping centres I took the MRT back to Changi T2. Before making my way over to the lounge in T2 I stopped by at the check-in desk to ask if I could have my boarding pass re-issued as I wanted the new style ones (I wasn't sure if they had those in the lounge). The business class counters didn't have then so I was directed to the KrisFlyer Gold counters opposite.

New style boarding pass

It was about 21:20 by the time I reached the SilverKris C lounge in T2 and it was nice and quiet. Lovely! At this time of evening I knew it would be, with the majority of long-haul flights scheduled to depart from T3. I spent an hour just catching up with the news, checking my email, having more coffee and, of course, fresh fruit (not as nice as the exotic fruit in the new F lounge in T3) but good enough for me. At approx 22:20 I headed over to T3 via the Skytrain to do some duty free shopping. Then it was off to the new SilverKris C lounge for a quick shower. I just knew it! Look how busy it was! The lounge was as packed as a United RCC! I was so glad I stayed over in T2. After a quick refreshing shower (I always carry my own soap as I'm not too keen on that pink shower gel) I had a quick cappuccino before making a quick exit from the lounge. My second A380 trip was about to begin.

I booked my A380 ticket only 2 weeks prior to my trip and at such a late stage I knew it would be almost impossible to get a seat pre-assigned in the forward cabin. Having flown in the main cabin before (seat 17K) I wanted to try the smaller cabin with only 18 seats as opposed to 42 in the main cabin. To be honest I didn't really like 17K on my SIN-SYD flight. It's too close to the galley and suffers from a lot of noise and traffic. The space and privacy is great but overall it's probably one of the worse seats in the rear cabin if you need to sleep. Good thing I was too excited to sleep much on that flight. The only window seats available at the time I booked my ticket were 11A/K (err, not quite window seats) and the last few rows from 25-27 and I didn't want those. A few days after I booked my ticket and constantly checking seat availability on the seatmap, 15K suddenly opened up and I immediately snapped it up. I was so pleased, especially since that was the seat I wanted to be in. Sweet!

Priority boarding was short but the queue for Y passengers was quite long

Upper deck entrance to airbridge

View of the nose of the A380

Close up photo of the plane right on the airbridge

I was welcomed aboard and my jacket was quickly taken and I was offered a pre take-off drink. Just an orange juice for me. Every single seat in the forward cabin except 16D was occupied on this flight and in the main business cabin it was completely full. Hot towels were given out and drink orders taken for after take-off. I requested a Singapore Sling. Whilst waiting for the boarding process to be completed I began to take pictures around my cabin. I think I was asked 2 or 3 times by different members of the cabin crew if I would like my picture taken but I had to say no thanks. Once all doors were closed the Captain welcomed everyone onboard and advised a flight time estimation of 12hrs 35mins.

Seat 15K

Crew storage right behind seat 15K

Toilet is located behind my seat but not too near for discomfort

View from seat 15K
    My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Flight SQ322 took off into the night sky from SIN Changi at exactly 23:55 local time (16:55 GMT) and headed over the Malaysian Peninsula towards the Andaman Sea, climbing gently to its cruising altitude of 39,911 ft.

Supper was served an hour into the flight. I was hungry as I hadn't eaten properly since lunchtime. So to begin I had a delicious caesar salad with roasted cajun spiced chicken. For the main event there was a choice of either the roasted muscovy duck breast with jus, roasted plum, bean salad and polenta or the Chinese style barbecued pork ribs served with wok fried vegetables and egg noodles. Assorted sushi was also available as an entree.

I chose the ribs but was mistakenly given the duck instead. It looked very nice but I'm not quite a fan of polenta. Besides, I had had enough duck on my flights lately. The ribs were okay, a bit too tender and salty for me - I like my ribs firm and chewy! Halfway through the meal service we encountered some extreme turbulent weather and I could see the cabin crew struggling to serve. Ping! The seat-belt sign came on. One cabin crew member almost bumped into my seat whilst trying to walk through the cabin, it was that bumpy! After a few minutes the Captain advised all cabin crew to suspend service for ten minutes. We were still cruising at 39,912ft. Eventually the turbulence calmed down and the flight smoothed out. For dessert I had a wonderful espresso creme brulee with almond tuile (that's a crunchy biscuit wafer thing). To finish my meal I asked for some fresh fruit but only grapes to go with the cheese were available so I munched on those. I usually have a cup of tea late at night as I don't need so much caffeine so I had a nice freshly brewed cup of Darjeeling tea. Don't you simply love those Givency mugs? I do.

Starter

Duck (I didn't order it!)

Pork ribs

Dessert

Fresh grapes with darjeeling tea

Throughout the flight a wide range of snacks were available such as noodle soups, sandwiches, savoury munchies, biscuits, cookies, bananas and chocolate. Most of the nibbles were there for you to help yourself at the self-service buffet-bar. I wasn't hungry at any time after the main meal so didn't snack on anything (I only had eyes for the fruit anyway).

To adjust to the six-hour time difference I have been on I stayed up as late as possible. It was about 20:30 GMT somewhere over north-eastern India when I decided sleep beckoned. I converted my seat into a nice bed with fresh linen, changed into my chocolate brown Givency pyjamas (not included on this flight) and cleaned my teeth and dozed off...
      My SQ A380 photos

Comment

from this...

...to this

I slept very well until about 02:00 GMT. I wanted to sleep a bit longer but I was still on my time zone, being 8am in Vietnam (09:00 at departure origin). The bed was extremely comfortable and I was able to get some good rest. Now, for my morning caffeine fix. I pressed the call button to ask for a cappuccino.

An hour later, flying over the Ukraine towards Poland, the cabin was awakened with the mood lighting and the cabin crew came round with hot towels. Breakfast in bed was served as we flew over Poland towards Berlin. I had only the continental breakfast as I don't normally eat a full breakfast at 3am in the UK! I couldn't possibly stuff myself! To start some freshly squeezed orange juice followed by a fresh fruit plate. This was followed by a bowl of muesli, a strawberry yoghurt and a croissant (no extra butter needed) from the bread basket. And not forgetting a fresh banana. Lovely and healthy start to the day.

For the main hot breakfast the choices were:

Singapore nasi lemak
        Malay style coconut rice with spicy prawns, peanuts, ikan bills, grilled fishcake, egg omelette and fried chicken. A local favourite served with sambal chilli.

Braised egg noodles with prawns, scallops and leafy greens

Omelette with mushrooms and fine herbs, chicken sausage, tomato and potatoes

About 40 mins from LHR the Captain informed us of our expected arrival time and the weather conditions. A cabin crew member converted my bed back to seat mode about 15 mins before landing whilst I was in the loo freshening up. How nice. We landed into LHR at 05:35 (12:35 at departure origin) after a flight time of exactly 12hrs 40mins. Disembarkation was delayed by about ten mins or so so we remained in our seats until the doors opened. When I reached baggage reclaim the belt hadn't even started yet. After a five minute wait my bag was amongst the first to appear and I was out of the airport by quarter past six. The flight crew were excellent throughout the whole flight. Once again Singapore Airlines has delivered the highest levels of onboard service that only other airlines can talk about. To lovely leading stewardess Anidah on my flight to BKK last week, I hope you enjoy reading my trip report. This was one of my best flights, better than my previous A380 experience, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for my next A380 flight...

On approach to LHR. That's the M4.
        My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Have really enjoyed your recent trip reports UK flyer and this final one is no exception Hope you had an enjoyable holiday!

Comment

Fantastic trip report UK Flyer!

Nice to see shots of the new TSN International.

Comment

Great trip report! I am booked in 15 A/K on our upcoming A380 flight and am very much looking foward to it. Thanks.

Quick question. Did you enjoy the seat location or did you prefer it in the main bc cabin?

Comment

Enjoyable read. Thanks!

Comment

An excellent read UKFlyer. Thanks for sharing (at least I got the author right this time! )

Comment

Originally posted by UK flyer View Post
                    Before making my way over to the lounge in T2 I stopped by at the check-in desk to ask if I could have my boarding pass re-issued as I wanted the new style ones (I wasn't sure if they had those in the lounge). The business class counters didn't have then so I was directed to the KrisFlyer Gold counters opposite.

New style boarding pass
                    It's a very nice trip report. Thanks for posting.

Did they ask for your 'old' boarding pass, or did they retain it? Looks like SQ can be quite slack in issuing extra boarding passes to satisfy boarding pass fetishes. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by John316 View Post
                      Quick question. Did you enjoy the seat location or did you prefer it in the main bc cabin?
                      Absolutely loved the seat location. 15K is an excellent seat, you have easy access to the buffet-bar in the galley and the toilet is just behind you. Much better than being in the main cabin. Plus I had a window which lined up with the seat.

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                      Did they ask for your 'old' boarding pass, or did they retain it? Looks like SQ can be quite slack in issuing extra boarding passes to satisfy boarding pass fetishes. Haha
                      I showed my original BP and asked for a new one and they just kept it. I was asked for my passport though.

Thanks for reading my trip report.
                      My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Once again another great TR UK flyer! Enjoyed reading it!

Comment

Enjoyed reading your TR too ! Thumbs up !
                          J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                            X