Flo does FRA (Part I)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flo does FRA (Part I)

So, this should have been posted back in February when I was actually done with this short trip. Unfortunately I wasn't quite motivated to write a TR as I had a lot of work to do and uni exams came around the corner as well. Today, I had my last exam before my main summer exams so I finally have some time to whip up the best of my memories of this short hop to Frankfurt.

I perfectly know that this might not be the standard trip report you might find here as it includes neither fancy lounge pictures (no time and a forgotten Gold card) nor awesome business class cabins, though European business class isn't that spectacular anyway. This is simply a small snippet of my short trip to FRA to meet up with some folks on FT.

So....

It all began around 3 AM in my flat. Peter was staying over as he lives in the suburbs and the first bus to the city is scheduled for 7 AM. So he decided to crash on my couch to get around paying 35 euros for a cab. Pretty expensive for poor students like us ... and not quite economical if you know your way round public transport in Vienna, which is actually pretty awesome. Anyway, we managed to wake up after 3hrs of sleep, got dressed and went for the nearest night-bus stop. (!) I tell you, it's a whole experience on its own getting to the airport way before normal public transport commences at 5 AM.

my bus stop

you might guess what's been going on in my head... (tireeed! wanna sleep!)

After one hilarious 20 minute ride on the night-bus, wearrived in Sankt Marx. I was quite relieved we finally arrived as the person sitting next to me was apparently pretty pissed and constantly let his head fall on my sholder and made himself comfy there ... ewwww.

The train took us directly to Vienna International (VIE). We did not take the well-advertised City-Airport-Train (CAT) as it is way too overpriced and not significantly faster.

Sky is clearing ... VIE here we come!

People sleeping (?!) in the main terminal.

We checked in, using the self check-in stands. Quite easy, though I will never ever use those stands again, they somehow could not credit the miles on my bmi account.
    Home is where your heart is.

Well, here are a few pictures from the airport in Vienna ...

Instead of heading to the Lounge, we had a cup of coffee at Starbucks after we somehow managed to be a bit late, arriving just on time for our flight. The security handler told us we might get a cup of coffee before the flight as there were some minor delays because Frankfurt airport did not give clearance because of heavy fog. Nevermind, I had a mango smoothie and Pete had a coffee to go as we waited for boarding. As I was a bit bored (I did not bring my MacBook Pro around) I made a few photos of the deserted VIE airport.

As time went by, it was finally time for boarding.

Comment

Flight: LH3534
      Route: VIE-FRA
      Class: Economy
      Aircraft: Airbus A321
      Name: Würzburg
      Seat: 8F / Window

Comment

An Austrian Airlines flagship ready to push back for FRA as well.

We waited some 15 minutes near the remote gates to finally take off for FRA as the fog has still not lifted.

We finally took off some 30 minutes late.

The 'snack' wasn't too special. I guess it's even somehow inappropriate to call a soft waffle a snack. The tea was good, though.

I was pleasantly surprised on how the FA's treated us. They were pretty attentive, though it was only a short flight and economy. Lufthansa is really great!

German skies...

Comment

The cabin.

I reserved seats 8E/8F for Pete and me. Whilst taxiing at VIE, a FA came around and told us we could change seats as the cabin was pretty empty. You can clearly see, I enjoyed my 'free' upgrade to 'European Economy First Class' with not only one empty seat next to you, but a whole row for yourself. Fancy, huh?

The flight was really comfy and I was some kinda sad as we started our descent.

... and as you can see, it was pretty foggy, we could not even see the ground! I added some light sources to the photo to make at least some things visible.

and though we were delayed at VIE, we still arrived on time in FRA. I waited till everybody de-boarded and asked if I could visit the cockpit and to my surprise, I could! The captain explained the Airbus type-rating system to me and told me he would want to fly the A340 asap.

Comment

We went to the US Gates and went through heavy security to watch some US heavies: UA 777 and 744, AA 777, US 767 if I remember correctly and an AC 343. I totally love the Airbus 340 as I spent my most memorable flights on the SIA Celestars from SIN to VIE and on to MEL back in the days. And of course to BKK after a surprise aircraft change ... but I was always very very comfy flying on the 343.

It looks like this UA 744 was smiling at me. Darn I love those heavies and I'm really looking forward to flying widebodies again this summer.

Pete and I weren't able to meet up with somebody who was supposed to be on this particular UA aircraft, so we went out of the airside part of the terminal and waited in front of the AAdmirals Club for the other guys to arrive.

We had a piece of cheesecake and coffe at a coffeeshop nearby. The coffee was so-so but as a VIE coffee addict, you probably say that a lot of times when having coffee abroad. The cheesecake was delish, though. Absolutely recommendable: creamy and fluffy with a slight vanilla arome. Just how I like it!

Comment

I absolutely love this photo: Me with sunglasses on and next to me a cigarette vending machine depicting an eagle with glasses and the statement "Perfection does not need any extras" hehehe.

The lady who owned the coffee shop was very kind and as Pete asked if there was a place where he could have a smoke, she told us where here employees go. We got to see a pretty ... unusual ... view of FRA then:

Comment

'Beware of gas. Suffucation risk. If you enter, please leave the door open!'

hehe.

In front of the AAdmirals Club again, waiting for our fellas to show up! Unfortunately I did not take many photos in the city as I spent most of the time talking to people who just arrived from the US.

We took the train to Café Schopenhauer to have their famous all you can eat champaign (it was Sekt, though) breakfast. It was really, really good and I can only recommend you to pop in if you've got some time to kill in FRA. There is a pretty awesome tea shop nearby called Teelirium (you can google them) where I spent about 20 Euros on tea for my friends as bring-alongs.

Comment

As we went to the airport again, a friend from Sydney sneaked us into the UA RCC at FRA, which was absolutely unremarkable. I really don't recommend you to go there if you have lounge acces; head to the LH SEN Lounge instead!

We were pretty tired already so we had a quick nap in the lounge before they threw us out when they closed. Yeah, PITA lounge access abusers

We headed to the nearest McDonald's to have a quick meal and some last views of FRA where we spotted some aircraft you don't get to see in VIE: CA 343, NH 744 among them. It was too dark already to take photos with my crappy camera.

So we finally headed to our gate (the A gates as far as I remember). We had to walk like 20 minutes to finally get to our gate but the light tunnel was quite funny to go through. Not that I've ever tried but I guess this is what it looks like if you take LSD ... or the mood-lighting in an aircraft going discomode.

The smoker boxes looked so funny. So many people in there. It almost felt like being in the zoo, watching animals in their cages

Flight: LH3542
                  Route: FRA-VIE
                  Class: Economy
                  Aircraft: Airbus A321
                  Name: ---
                  Seat: 25E / Middle

I did not take any pictures of the return leg as I was pretty tired. The flight was not that great as it was totally cramped. Luckily the seat next to me was kept free but some PITA pax insited on taking this seat as he did not want to sit in the middle. I was so annoyed as he blocked the window with his newspaper! Grrr ... so I asked a FA for a pillow and had, again, another nap. We landed in VIE and we had to take the CAT to Landstraße to catch the last train home. I stayed up till 2 AM though the day in FRA was pretty exhausting.

Anyway, I hope you liked reading my TR; FRA part II will follow soon as I booked my next short hop to FRA on Jun 7th. This time with my Star Gold card in my walled, of course.

Thanks for reading and please excuse my bad spelling etc. I'm pretty tired
                  Last edited by flo; 8 May 2008, 07:29 PM.

Comment

That smoking box is so funny

Comment

Great report. I enjoyed looking at the "Raucherzimmer" - If i recall correctly that's they called them.

Comment

Cool report, thanks for sharing.
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Flo does FRA(Part 1)

Refreshingly different angle of a trip report. Enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing. Didn't know SQ use to fly A343 to Vienna. I too love the look of the plane. Used to fly it between SIN-PER. But did you know that it is a sloooow plane compared to 777? Of course 747s are still the fastest subsonic plane.

Comment

Great report, thanks for sharing.

Kills my boredom while i am still stuck in office.

Comment

Great report.
                              Haha I have to agree that the smoking box looks funny.
                              zxcvbn

Comment

Working...
                              X