Curry puffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curry puffs

Having been introduced by an irredeemable lurker to curry puffs from Singapore, I now have to admit that I'm addicted to them. Five (Why five? Because one was mysteriously missing from the box given to me this weekend ) which rode with me back to London were all gone after breakfast today.

I was wondering if SIN-based SQTalkers can point me to a good source, preferably close to the IC? Or if the source requires a bit of travel, give me directions?

(Said lurker is still travelling, so I won't get a chance to pepper him with questions until later.)

Much obliged.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post

I was wondering if SIN-based SQTalkers can point me to a good source, preferably close to the IC?
    220 miles close enough?

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
    Or if the source requires a bit of travel, give me directions?
    Straight to woodlands, then past customs, immigration. 200 miles as she goes - due north/north west along the north south highway and then find your way to Damansara Uptown. A1 curry puff the name of the brand. It's a singaporean chain, but this IMHO, is one example of a later iteration being better than the original

Comment

I believe this is the vendor (or location of the vendor) of the curry puffs you're referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        220 miles close enough?

Straight to woodlands, then past customs, immigration. 200 miles as she goes - due north/north west along the north south highway and then find your way to Damansara Uptown. A1 curry puff the name of the brand. It's a singaporean chain, but this IMHO, is one example of a later iteration being better than the original
        Very close to the famous special fried rice place I plan on visiting? I hear the fried rice place will even provide transport and insiders' tips to KUL eating spots (I'm dying for some mamak satay).

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
          220 miles close enough?

A1 is a curry puff franchise and the owner was recently convicted of tax evasion!

There is a store in Ang Mo Kio central which is pretty good. Believe that it is called Tip Top.

Comment

Originally posted by cawhite View Post
            I believe this is the vendor (or location of the vendor) of the curry puffs you're referring to?
            An old man's memory needs refreshing.

Comment

I read about the ancestor of the curry puff called an epok epok:

Unlike today’s curry puffs, which gives you that rich sensation with an over-buttered pastry and over-curried potatos, epok epok pasty was simply done with a hint of ghee (clarified butter) and plain flour. Even the potato fillings were different- marinated with a light chilli rempah devoid of curry powder. It was just a softly crispy yet not oily pastry holding in soft sambal potatoes. The corners of the epok epok were hand-nipped and irregular. Delightful.
              Any of the SIN locals tried some of these with a glass of kopi ? Are they worth making a trip to seek out ?

Comment

Working...
              X