Qantas takeover bid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas takeover bid

Qantas's non-executive directors have unanimously recommended that shareholders accept the $5.60 a share cash offer from the consortium known as Airline Partners Australia (APA) after it was bumped up from $5.50. The $5.60 level would represent a record price for Qantas shares.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html

So does this mean that SQ's gonna be able to get some LAX-SYD flights now? I sure hope so. More SQ planes in LA! Squee!

I can't remember if it was here or TOF talking about loss of influence in Canberra if they were privatized.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
      So does this mean that SQ's gonna be able to get some LAX-SYD flights now? I sure hope so. More SQ planes in LA! Squee!

I can't remember if it was here or TOF talking about loss of influence in Canberra if they were privatized.
      Perhaps, and this editorial provides some perspective:
      http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...55-601,00.html

Virgin Blue's decision to launch transpacific flights might also make SQ's bid more difficult IMO.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL
        Virgin Blue's decision to launch transpacific flights might also make SQ's bid more difficult IMO.
        Don't forget AC's launch down to Australia via LAX too. Also, I don't think SQ has the capacity to do it right now anyways.

If anything, UA has more to lose than any other airline in terms of service on the SYD-US flights.
        Last edited by globetrekker84; 14 December 2006, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
          Also, I don't think SQ has the capacity to do it right now anyways.
          They're still committed to it, according to recently released statements.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL
            They're still committed to it, according to recently released statements.
            Guess they're more than willing to reallocate some 744s just to stick it to QF. CDG doesn't have the 744 anymore, so that's two planes there, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
              Qantas's non-executive directors have unanimously recommended that shareholders accept the $5.60 a share cash offer from the consortium known as Airline Partners Australia (APA) after it was bumped up from $5.50. The $5.60 level would represent a record price for Qantas shares.

http://www.news.com.au/business/stor...-31037,00.html
              Will Qantas still be flying?
              "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewSQ011 View Post
                Will Qantas still be flying?
                Absolutely. Just that it will be privately owned.

Comment

Just that it will be privately owned.
                  Or maybe not:

http://www.theage.com.au/news/busine...685825051.html

Comment

SQ have been straight on about SYD-LAX flights again. Stephen Forshaw was on Sky News out here this morning re-stating their case.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      SQ have been straight on about SYD-LAX flights again. Stephen Forshaw was on Sky News out here this morning re-stating their case.
                      Hopefully he'd run a better campaign this time around. This is a golden opportunity. If the deal is allowed to stand - Qantas will lose a lot of political support on both sides of politics. Virgin Blue might campaign against SQ as well, but IMO they do not have the same amount of political clout as Qantas currently possesses. And hopefully politicos would've learned their lesson by then, that the national interest of Australia is not = the interests of Qantas Airways Ltd or Virgin Blue Pty Ltd.

A little bit OT - But I'm proud to point out that most people in the Labor Opposition support more competition on the trans-pacific route. Ironically most of the Qantas PR people are ex-Labor hacks (the CEO is himself a big donor) whereas Forshaw is an active member of the Liberal Party.
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 15 December 2006, 07:11 AM.

Comment

SHAME QANTAS SHAME!!!

Qantas has refused to confirm whether the rights and rewards for its Frequent Flyers will be guaranteed as it explores the possibility of hiving off Qantas Frequent Flyer after the (nearly) successful Macquarie-led ownership raid.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/business/...162368548.html

Thankfully I've always been with AAdvantage.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                          Qantas has refused to confirm whether the rights and rewards for its Frequent Flyers will be guaranteed as it explores the possibility of hiving off Qantas Frequent Flyer after the (nearly) successful Macquarie-led ownership raid.

EEK. Good thing I have (had?) only 2.4k in that account.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post

Good Grief, that's daylight robbery! I'm sure they loose many customers should it happen.

Comment

Good Grief, that's daylight robbery! I'm sure they loose many customers should it happen.
                              Definitely. Especially with DJ building up its own FFP.

Comment

Working...
                              X