Scenes from Egypt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scenes from Egypt

Had to make an urgent trip to Egypt last week, but had some time to take pictures.

Many of you when mentioning about Egypt will think of the pyramids, the sphinx etc etc, well, I have seen those before on other trips that I made to Egypt, this time I was not in Cairo so I did not see those touristy place, but instead, I went through the Suez Canal and here's what I saw....

As the plane approaches Cairo, I took a shot of the dessert below, senai Dessert where a war was fought over the land mass of sand,....

Plane landed at Cairo airport and as expected, plenty of hassle going through immigration... no pictures, but u can imagine....

In the car on way north to Port Said, which is the north entrance of the Suez Canal, on the great dessert road....

While at Said, I stayed at the Grand Albatross hotel, a four star, not so bad, but service need improvements...

Had coffee.... turkish if u need to know...

Cashier at the restuarant....

The hotel is built within a condo project and here's the pool....

Just behind the hotel is the beach area, facing the Med Sea...

Shisha pipes at cafe by the beach...

To be continued..................
    This is a computer generated message, no signature required....

Continuing .......

Went for a walk in town and across the road from the hotel, lo and behold what did I see, the Chinese Embassy, .... this is not the capital, but guess they need their rep here for other businesses....

Other then mosque, there were also churches here in Egypt... if you do not know .. then head of the Greek Orthodox Church, i.e. their Pope, is based in Cairo...

The roads are generally well organised in Port Said, which is not an old city, it was established by the French when the canal was built...

This is the Nasser memorial...

to be continued.....

Comment

Was walking along.... got slightly tired due to lack of sleep and then I saw a horse drawn carriage,, stopped him, jump onboard and let him take me around instead of my legs...

The following pictures are taken as i rode along... scene from Arabic market, street scene, Greek Orthodox Church, mosques etc etc... the people are generally friendly towards a foreigner.. those on the streets waved at me when I passed by...

Comment

continuing....

Comment

Fascinating pics! Thanks for sharing.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

The next day, I had to jump onto a boat to go through the Suez canal....

More mosque

Arrival of the convoy...

Riding on a ship through the canal, you see nothing but sand, sand and more sand... btw, a dust storm was actually blowing while I was there...

The north bound convoy going through, we had to wait until the convoy is through before we can proceed as the canal is not wide enough for two ships to pass side by side...

Comment

At last, I completed my assignment late into the night and the next day I flew back home... this was the bird that took me back to my home,..sweet home...

Comment

Nice pics - thanks for sharing.

Comment

Sorry to hijack the thread but I was in Eygpt at around the same time and don't think that it is worth starting a separate thread for.

I flew TLV-CAI with Air Sanai. They lease a rather old 737-500 from Eygptair for the route. Seat pitch is a bit tight 29" or 30" I would guess. They do serve a light snack on board plus drinks which is not bad considering it is only a 70 minute flight.

I stayed at the Flamenco hotel on Zamulek Island in the middle of the Nile. The hotel was OK but nothing special. However I did have a nice view over the nile from my room

A view over Cairo from my room

As this was a work trip there was not much time for sightseeing but I did manage to sneak off and see the pyramids whilst I was there - well there was no way I was going to Cairo and not seeing the Pyramids.

Last edited by Lobster; 19 April 2008, 03:39 PM.

Comment

yes, the pyramids.... fantastic isn't it... I have been there twice and both times it never fail to inspire me.

next stop Turkey, flying off tonight....

Comment

Coptic, not Greek!!

Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      Was walking along.... got slightly tired due to lack of sleep and then I saw a horse drawn carriage,, stopped him, jump onboard and let him take me around instead of my legs...

The following pictures are taken as i rode along... scene from Arabic market, street scene, Greek Orthodox Church, mosques etc etc... the people are generally friendly towards a foreigner.. those on the streets waved at me when I passed by...
                      Originally posted by kapitan View Post
                      Continuing .......

Went for a walk in town and across the road from the hotel, lo and behold what did I see, the Chinese Embassy, .... this is not the capital, but guess they need their rep here for other businesses....

Other then mosque, there were also churches here in Egypt... if you do not know .. then head of the Greek Orthodox Church, i.e. their Pope, is based in Cairo...

The roads are generally well organised in Port Said, which is not an old city, it was established by the French when the canal was built...
                      Nice TR Kapitan and some great pics too of the Suez....imagined it would be narrow but not that narrow!

Just to clarify, those churches you saw are actually those of the Coptic Orthodox Church who are seperate from the Greek Orthodox and are the direct descendants of the pharaohs. Their pope is the Pope of Alexandria who is based in Cairo.

Hope to see more TR's from ancient cities

Comment

Great TR!

Looks very "real"

ie not touristy at all

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                        X