X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The InterContinental Wellington - a review

The InterContinental Wellington
    2 Grey St

It is really not my fault that Welly has no HH or SPG affiliated properties… But I guess its strong reputation for good coffee and nightlife makes for a rather compelling proposition to ignore the existence of my favourite chains. At least I don’t have to stay off-chain entirely!

I’d thought about begging a sympathetic RA for the gifted RA status but then decided that I don’t have enough IC/IHG stays to justify the gifting of RA/PC Plat statuses. So I decided to suck it up and stay at the IC without all the “super powers” that come with status.

The lobby seemed rather ho hum – even for a business hotel. The furniture also seemed dated. It took an age to get checked in as the hotel was busy and I had to wait a little for my room which wasn’t yet ready. Would I like a complimentary drink while I wait? But of course!

Despite having no status, the “Club” level of my PC status allowed extended late check out at this property of up to 4pm. No mention of this was made at check in however – I only found out when I read a card explaining the features of my room. I extended my check out time through Guest Services to 1.30pm but it didn’t stop a frantic receptionist from calling me at 10am on the last day to find out when I’d be vacating the room.

The standard room I booked was of a good size and comfortable. The bed is comfy. However the furnishings felt rather drab and the décor in general feels pretty cheap. The bathtub was chipped. The bathroom also lacked a soap dish for the hand soap. When I asked about this, the Guest Services agent said they haven’t such a thing. Charming. I made a makeshift soap dish with the little tray that the bath amenities and hand towels were stacked on by removing the hand towels. Bathroom amenities were ok but I used the Bliss Sinkside 6 (sans green soap) that I’d brought with me anyway.

I felt that the service levels in general at the hotel were pretty substandard, if the above examples haven’t illustrated this already. It took at least 30 minutes for anything to be delivered to the room (I requested for a dental kit as well as a shaving kit – but thankfully they’d tried to make it up by sending up a week’s worth of the stuff), my wake up call didn’t come on both mornings, billing errors.

The only exception was the concierge team – staffed by people who were mostly enthusiastic and competent. Though my first impression wasn’t great as I was told by a numpty who didn’t even bother trying that it’s “impossible” to get a seat in any restaurant on my first night there and that it’s best simply eating at the hotel restaurant, but I persisted and his supervisor found me a spot at a very nice restaurant at Courtenay Place. Aforementioned numpty also responded to my request for all day breakfast cafes at 12 noon the next day with "uhh it's midday" - that's exactly why I said "all day" - doh! Thankfully he wasn’t at work subsequent days.

Now it would seem like I am asking for too much, as was pointed out to me by an AFFer whom I complained to who considers IC “2nd tier.” Now obviously I’m not expecting a W, the Ritz Carlton or the Pen. But let’s consider the market positioning of the IC brand – upper upscale at least, if not borderline luxury. So they ought to be at least equivalent to the upper tier Westins. There are certainly many properties that I’ve experienced that meet this standard, eg IC Singapore and IC Bangkok. However the IC Wellington is really equivalent to a mid grade Sheraton at best, and feels much the same as a CP or one of the better HIs. The rooms are clean, functional, and have comfy beds. But don’t expect much else in the way of nice soaps, high quality furnishings etc.

The amazing thing is that this is meant to be one of Wellington’s top hotels. For a city that’s otherwise upscale and chic in so many ways, I’m surprised that a hotel like this is considered the city’s only 5 star hotel (or one of the few 5 star hotels)

Most importantly, you shouldn’t need any form of hotel status and associated benes to enjoy a hotel stay at a competent hotel.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 1 April 2008, 01:39 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

not too shabby though nothing compared to W's etc.
    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Oh and please say hi to Miffy, who's now happily sitting on my desk in his protective plastic gear:

All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

awwwwww cute i have one just like that hehe
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I somewhat expected better standards from an Intercontinental Hotel. Your pics seems to indicate just a normal hotel.

Comment

The location of IC is superb in this city. However I prefer Holidayinn's style more (one of the newest hotel in Wellington).

Comment

Stayed here a couple of times and quite like the place. Nice little club lounge as well, but it can get a bit busy.

Granted there is not a heap of choices in Wellington. The only other place I have stayed at is the Duxton, and I got upgraded to the Presidential Suite as I was late arriving and they were oversold.

Comment

A Hilton was meant to open shop but plans got scuttled after they failed some "environmental assessment."

I was tempted to stay at the Holiday Inn as the pics of that property looked nicer, however the location is poor. Granted Wellington is quite small but apart from Parliament House there's really nothing near it and the surrounding areas looked a tad run down.

I was alerted to this very cool-sounding new hotel the other day:
                http://www.wellingtonnz.com/accommodation/ohtel

Location is pretty good - very near Courtenay Pl and nightlife. I will check it out on my next visit.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                  ...I was tempted to stay at the Holiday Inn...
                  Are you sure you're feeling alright KeithMEL? Just never thought I'd hear you utter those words!

Comment

Working...
                  X