A380 LHR - SIN Inaugural Flight 18MAR2008

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A380 LHR - SIN Inaugural Flight 18MAR2008

I am on my way to London at the moment. Better start the trip report now to built an excitement. The foreplay thread had been pretty busy since DeltaFlyingprof posted the Breaking News (the thread is in the Community forum).

I think what I will do is just to write something simple with lots of photos of my travel diary. Of course others can add more stories to this inaugural flight trip.

You can follow the other forum for another report by iangoodwin.

Well, I am too excited, and I am speechless.

Links to other trip reports:
    Other links:

Gifts for Y pax: post 109 and post 110.
    Last edited by SQ LPP; 26 March 2008, 11:27 AM.

I am led to believe the Big Man himself is arriving in town today...

Comment

Enjoy the flight and all festivities leading up to it!

Comment

Due to work, I have to postpone my trip to London. I was planning to stay in London for the weekend, but due to the different way of getting the UK visa, it takes longer, and I would not get my passport back before the trip. So, now I am trying to stay less than 24 hours in London.

Even though I have lived in Canada for such a long time, I could not remember the peak travel. Yes, it's Spring Break. I decided to fly out Sunday. Saturday flights I heard were overbooked. But luckily I did not travel on Saturday. It was a nice break in weather. Sunny and a bit warm. Spring is around the corner.

I took UA down to SFO Sunday at 6am. I was booked on LH SFO-FRA. Alaska Airlines was full. AC has couple of seats, but I needed UA status miles.

The check-in process was quick, but at that time after 430am, the US immigration has not opened yet. So the line of the pax was so long. If you have been to YVR for US departure, UA counter is in the left side, and behind the AC counter is the area to go to the US immigration. The line for waiting was all the way to the right hand side of the building, all the way near the Fairmont Airport Hotel entrance.

Luckily, I got quicker through the immigration, then handed out my customs form, but the line to go through security was so long. It was about 5am. I remember the boarding started at 53o, and I was there at the gate two three minutes prior.

The flight was full with the vacationers. I was boarded number two. Contrary to the check-in agents who remember me (yeah one of them saying something like "are you flying to Singapore via Europe again?" ), the gate agents were a bit cold. The guy took the BP for the first pax in line, and he said "Have a nice flight, Mr. Lucas!" When my turn, the guy did not even say anything. I guess that's the punishment for being a 1K. Looks like all the UGSs are the gods for UA.

This time around, the flight time was only 90 minutes! Breakfast was served. As usual, I was the slowest person finishing up the meal.

Unfortunately, I was seated by the aisle. So no pictures of lovely morning scenery.

Comment

Arriving at SFO, it was still before 8am. Decided to go to the city first before checking in for my LH455 SFO-FRA. The check-in would open at 1045 for the flight that departure after 3pm (yes, it's daylight saving time).
          Store my rollabag for $10 fee at the travel service, and headed to BART station.
          Got off at Montgomery Station in downtown. Walked along Market Street. Hmm it was cold. (well the sun was still too low). Remember about W hotel, and also saw Westin Third Street. I thought of having breakfast with a friend in Castro that early morning. But decided to check out one of the places that got praises by SQ princes and princesses.
          From Market St, I turned right at the corner of Virgin Store. Yeah, Apple Store was still closed. Walked along Stockton. Union Square was pretty busy already. The sky was clear and bright. But between the buildings, still no sun. Hmm the Compton Place now becomes part of Taj Hotel. Walked further up. And walked through the tunnel, and yes, arrived at the Chinatown. Headed to certain place.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
            No long queue today ?

Comment

Nice to see some familiar faces and some new ones last night. Also surprised to see that poor old bottle of Piper Heidsieck is still being passed around untouched.

Enjoy your trip. I believe the main man and some of the 'special girls' are in town for the occassion...

Comment

Enjoy your trip and the inaugural London - Singapore flight on A380, SQ LPP. I know you will have a wonderful experience. Please take a lot of pictures especially the special foods prepared by Gordon Ramsay and Sam Leong.

Comment

It was a very pleasant dinner last night meeting new faces (nickbot finally and Howard) and catching up with others.

Many thanks to nickbot and the VVIP guest for the bunnies and the tarts.

I hope everyone on the flight today has a fabulous time both at the pre-departure celebration and during the flight itself!

Comment

WOW! I missed it.

Comment

18th Mar 2008

T- 6hrs to LHR-SIN SQ 319 Inaugural Flight :

Packing his own BTC from Four Season's@ Bayswater,London.

Comment

Woun't there be some special meal on LHR-SIN ? haha

Comment

It was nice to see you all last night. And thanks to Howard Long for the generous flow of dot dot dots. The two special guests were late! (And now 3pm, and they had not arrived here at Piccadilly Circus!)

It was a very nice dinner with Howard Long, nickbot, JPB, jhm, phaleesy, and the two special guests. Later on MAN Flyer came for dessert and after dinner drinks. Here are some pics.

SORRY... I have moved the pictures to make up the order of the occurrence. See post #33.
                          Last edited by SQ LPP; 25 March 2008, 12:43 PM.

Comment

This is the first time I've gone online since Sunday evening - so many posts to catch up on! Just to say a very big thank you to all of the SQTalkers for last night's experience at Hakkasan. It's always a great pleasure to catch up with you all, old faces and new.

Just got back to my hotel room after seeing off the travellers at check-in. Now feeling very envious

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                            Nice to see some familiar faces and some new ones last night. Also surprised to see that poor old bottle of Piper Heidsieck is still being passed around untouched.
                            Many thanks for giving me the well travelled bottle of Piper MAN Flyer ...I'm sure mrs nickbot and I can give it a good home

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            It was a very pleasant dinner last night meeting new faces (nickbot finally and Howard) and catching up with others.
                            Great to meet you and Phaleesy too after all this time! Must meet up again soon, as I'm conscious we didn't have much time to chat in the noisy restaurant.

Originally posted by jhm
                            Many thanks to nickbot and the VVIP guest for the bunnies and the tarts.
                            No problem! With Easter fast approaching, and knowing everyone's taste for RESM's Lindt chocolate, I thought it would be a suitable gift!

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                            It was nice to see you all last night. And thanks to Howard Long for the generous flow of dot dot dots.
                            I'd very much like to second SQ LPP's sentiments on this one - thank you so much Howard Long for your generosity. The dot dot dots flowed almost endlessly throughout the evening I hope you have a great time in R class today!

(note to self, meeting up with Lobster and consuming 3 pints of lager before the meal on an empty stomach, plus plenty of champagne = one very pissed nickbot who had to be woken up by the guards on the tube when it got into LHR )

Comment

Some photos...

My photos aren't a patch on others posted in this thread so far, but here we go...

Wonderful food at Hakkasan...

SQ LPP, MAN Flyer and Jubilee777 at check-in,...right after MAN Flyer surprised SQ LPP by joining them on the flight (well,...not specifically joining them as he was flying in J not Y )

Three VVIP Pax showing off their A380 polo shirts

Another shot, unfortunately a bit blurred

First time seeing "Suites" check-in at LHR

Mr LPP proudly showing off his Y boarding pass and invitation to gate party (J class MAN Flyer looking disgusted he he!)

LHR billboard sign for SQ LPP (Economy!)...

...MAN Flyer (Business)...

...and not forgetting Howard Long (Suites )

Have a fantastic flight guys - look forward to seeing plenty of pics!

Comment

Working...
                              X