PPSV and FX rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PPSV and FX rates

Does anyone know exactly when the PPSV is locked in - at ticketing or upon travel?

Example:
    I buy a ticket today for USD5000, with the outbound segment in 3 months time and the return segment in 9 months time.

SQ receives my USD5000 today at the USD/SGD rate of 1.39 = 6950 PPSV.

But if USD/SGD drops to 1.30 in 3 months and 1.20 in 9 months, then this scenario happens:

Outbound = USD2500 * 1.30 = 3250 PPSV
    Inbound = USD2500 * 1.20 = 3000 PPSV
    Total = 6250 PPSV (loss of 700 PPSV)

Of course this is for example only. The USD may well rebound, in which case there would be an FX gain in PPSV.

My point is that for those in advanced planning for PPS re-qualification, are we exposed to FX fluctuations which may possibly leave us short of the SGD 25000 PPSV mark...?

I would imagine that is based on the FX rate (SQ's rate, whatever that maybe) on the month of ticketing. I think generally MNC companies have a FX rate they use company-wide for the said month.

Comment

The PPS Values are calculated based on IATA's monthly exchange rate as quoted from the Singapore Airlines website:
      using the International Air Transport Association’s (IATA) monthly exchange rate. The rate used will be based on IATA’s exchange rate at the month of ticketing
      When you log into your account, under 'My Account' there will be a table where you can convert your currency with the IATA exchange rate.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, what I am go to do with the PPS $value?
          To redeem ticket? or
          what can I do with my pps value of 8,288

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wenkroy2 View Post
            Excuse my ignorance, what I am go to do with the PPS $value?
            To redeem ticket? or
            what can I do with my pps value of 8,288
            It would be nice but unfortunately, you can't redeem your PPS value!

You need to reach S$25,000 in your membership year to qualify for membership of the PPS club:

http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/en_U...tpps/index.jsp

Comment

PPS value

Thanks,
              Unlikely, that I will reach PPS$25,000 this year.

Comment

Working...
              X