Help Needed for A Visitor to Singapore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Needed for A Visitor to Singapore

Assumption to be made for answering these thread: The visitors would be adults, not children nor teenagers.

I know that may be part of the answers have been discussed in separate threads. But may be this thread can be used as something like "what to do" in Singapore in the view of SQTalkers as a local Singaporean and also in the view of SQTalkers who visits Singapore.

First question: What do you think about "Breakfast with Orang Utans at the Zoo?" How about the "Night Safari?" Worth it? Are those activities are "a must do" for visitors to Singapore? Of course many guidebooks and web info would suggest those, but how about your opinion?

Second question: What to see there which are not the usual touristic places?

Third question: Weather and dress code?

Fourth question: Any other suggestions?

For me, I have done the zoo stuff a very long time ago. Done that, but I have no recollection whether I would recommend others to do that or not. I know many mileage runners going into Singapore loves to spend time at the night safari and wee hours hawker centers. And in the past years, every time I go to Singapore, my visit would be filled with spending with all very good friends here in SQTalk. Thus talk, eat and drinks. (And yes, the die die must eat in Singapore thread is very useful indeed ...)
    When I visit Singapore with my Indonesian friends and family, shopping is what they love. But I don't like to shop in Singapore (the reason would be kept close to my heart ).

In short, please help with the advice! Thank you!

Zoo would be recommended but I prefer the Night Safari, the orang utan brekkie is now the Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife. That particular orang utan has passed on.....

Not so touristic would probably be a visit to the HDB heartlands where the majority of Singaporeans live.

SIN is hot so light (less....) clothing is recommended.

Others? Like dot dot dot???

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
      Zoo would be recommended but I prefer the Night Safari, the orang utan brekkie is now the Jungle Breakfast with Wildlife. That particular orang utan has passed on.....

Not so touristic would probably be a visit to the HDB heartlands where the majority of Singaporeans live.

SIN is hot so light (less....) clothing is recommended.

Others? Like dot dot dot???
      Thanks..
      More advice please... even for dot dot dots..
      I want to know a I am naive and innocent!

Comment

That particular orang utan has passed on.....
        Oh no! Ah Meng ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
          Oh no! Ah Meng ?

Yes Ah Meng passed away of old age on the 8 Feb.

I prefer the Night Safari too

Comment

[QUOTE=SQ LPP;49019][B]
            Second question: What to see there which are not the usual touristic places?

- Sungei Buloh
            - Labrodor Park

Third question: Weather and dress code?

- Weather is either hot or rainy
            - Dress code is (for women) less the better. Common to wear tube tops, halter neck, sphagetti straps

Fourth question: Any other suggestions?
            - Foot reflex (*** Yang, at about 13 shopping malls in Singapore is recommended)

QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by acey View Post
              - Weather is either hot or rainy
              OR rainy ?. Are you trying to say it's not always Hot ?.

Comment

When I first visited Singapore a long time ago (and didn't know anyone there), one of the things which I did was sign-up for a Singapore night tour which included a quick walkaround of an HDB estate.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the sights in Singapore are the usual man-made tourist attractions (e.g. the fountain on Sentosa etc) and what's left are experiences rather than things to see, e.g.

* cycling along the East Coast

* renting a chalet somewhere and having a BBQ outside

* a trip to Pulau Ubin

* drinking coconut and eating durians in Geylang

* walking around Bukit Timah nature reserve

* why not even a trip across the Causeway to look around JB

Comment

Keep them coming guys!
                  TIA

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    When I first visited Singapore a long time ago (and didn't know anyone there), one of the things which I did was sign-up for a Singapore night tour which included a quick walkaround of an HDB estate.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think the sights in Singapore are the usual man-made tourist attractions (e.g. the fountain on Sentosa etc) and what's left are experiences rather than things to see, e.g.

* cycling along the East Coast

* renting a chalet somewhere and having a BBQ outside

* a trip to Pulau Ubin

* drinking coconut and eating durians in Geylang

* walking around Bukit Timah nature reserve

* why not even a trip across the Causeway to look around JB
                    What many people dont realize is that Singapore has some very nice natural attractions. Besides the usual like Bukit Timah nature reserve:

-St. John's island has some beautiful shores as well as Kusu Island-better than anything else in SG, sometimes can see the long-tailed macaques come out for coconut picking

-Pulau Semakau has rare seagrass and other beautiful green to see, also recommend: Sisters' islands

-Nearly all the southern islands actually have beautiful coral reefs and sea anenome and such for nature buffs with other rare species of marine life, supposedly before all the development Singapore was actually one of the most prime spots for biodiversity on earth and discoveries are still being made today!

-Tanjong chek jawa on pulau ubin with caves + bats and such to see, checking out one of the last spots for SG kampung living

Other things:
                    Of course, eating at hawker centres and kopitiams

As already mentioned, eating durian, rambutan and drinking coconut

Try checking out old quarters like Little India and Kampong Glam which have very nice historical/cultural things with some great market shopping and food

Oh, and for Uncle SQ LPP, I hear Geylang has many interesting dot dot dot activities for the naive traveler!
                    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                      OR rainy ?. Are you trying to say it's not always Hot ?.
                      Yo, it has been raining cats and dogs for the past few days !!

Comment

Working...
                      X