Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design (chain) hotels other than Ws?

So I take it that you like W's, Keith ?

(My one and only W experience so far was the W Union Square which didn't leave much of an impression on me. Perhaps I will try again when I'm next in a city with a W.)

Not a question about the W Chicago-Lakeshore but design (chain) hotels generally - what other brands exist besides SPG's W ?

I'm only aware of Hyatt's Andaz with their first property in the City of London (next door to Liverpool Street station) which opened launched last November. From articles like this:

http://www.exploringtheglobe.com/?p=1187

it seems that it's using the same ideas, e.g. the lobby becomes the living room. The hotel used to be the Great Eastern Hotel by Conran. The room rates seem to be much more than the SPG properties in central London (with the exception of the Lanesborough).

(If enough people reply to this OT post, I can see jjpb3 taking a hatchet to it. )

I decided to take the hatchet to it myself since this is a rather interesting topic.

Like I said in my review the W Union Square isn't as fashion-forward as I'd like in terms of its room decor. Maybe the suites are nicer. But for a really hip W in NYC - head for the Times Square one. Were it not for the TS location that'd be a really cool W - but some people do actually like TS, hey ho.

W will also have its lower cost sibling, aLoft that's debuting pretty soon.

So on to the copycat brands...

SPG also has the Le Meridien Art and Tech range, which was actually started before SPG bought LM but ceased when the tookover occurred. Presumably to prevent an overlap with W. The Anytime/Anywhere (Or Anything/Anytime - can't remember) line sounds hauntingly familiar... It still exists in a way - just that it's not promoted as a subbrand like Le Royal Meridien. Basically the hip and trendy LMs, eg LM Cyberport in HK, LM Wien, the LM Barcelona post refurbishment etc

Well that Andaz sure has W written all over it....particularly with its concept of the living room.

Some time ago I posted a thread here about Marriott's new brand, Edition. The chief designer will be Ian Schrager, the guy behind Gramercy Park NYC, the Mondrian in WeHo etc. They seem to have announced more properties than all of the Ws that currently exist. The name's quite smart "Wall St Edition" "South Beach Edition" "Paris Edition" etc - you get the idea. I still reckon W has a nicer ring.

I think ICHG tried to do the boutique/design thing with Hotel Indigo - not sure how that's going. But it doesn't look as cutting edge as the others to me.

There's Vibe hotel, an Australian chain. I think they currently only exist in Melbourne, Sydney and the Gold Coast.

And Metropolitan which exists in both London and Bangkok. Not sure you'd consider that a chain though.

The other design hotels that I know of are non-chain. The W is itself inspired by the Royalton in NYC. My personal favourite is the St Martin's Lane in London.

The trouble with design hotels is they have to keep re-inventing themselves. I'm sure the W NYC on Lex was revolutionary when it first opened but then just got tired and boring over the years. Apparently there's been a refurb though I've not been there post-refurb.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 11 March 2008, 01:15 AM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

NH

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
        Basically the hip and trendy LMs, eg LM Cyberport in HK, LM Wien, the LM Barcelona post refurbishment etc.
        It's pretty hip indeed; I walk by it every day when going to uni or work.
        Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I found these websites particularly helpful when looking for off-chain design hotels:

www.designhotels.com
          www.hiphotels.com

I found the Elysian Bali via designhotels.com

In fact I've been happily using these websites until i discovered the W and got hooked on SPG.
          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

So you must be very happy in NYC bc you can go from one W hotel to another everyday and keep earning stay credits and welcome point bonuses!

Comment

I don't actually stay run if I can help it. Only did it last year due to the double stays promo which made me striking distance of PLT. It's not something I'd ever seek to repeat as I hate packing/unpacking even though it was fun watching the reactions of various staff members while I did it.

Comment

SPG also has the Le Meridien Art and Tech range, which was actually started before SPG bought LM but ceased when the tookover occurred. Presumably to prevent an overlap with W. The Anytime/Anywhere (Or Anything/Anytime - can't remember) line sounds hauntingly familiar... It still exists in a way - just that it's not promoted as a subbrand like Le Royal Meridien. Basically the hip and trendy LMs, eg LM Cyberport in HK, LM Wien, the LM Barcelona post refurbishment etc
                I'll be staying at the LM Turin Art+Tech next weekend (BA fly direct from LGW)! It was desgned by the Italian architect, Renzo Piano and built inside the Lingotto building (the former Fiat plant which in its time was the largest car factory in the world and featured in the classic film, The Italian Job). Looking forward to it.

A bonus is the fact that just down the road is Eataly which describes itself as the world's biggest food and wine centre.

No time I think to visit the Chapel of the Holy Shroud (with only a replica on view) in Turin Cathedral...

Comment

probably the MOST awesome hotel I've ever seen ...

Hotel Puerta Aermica Madrid. Every floor is designed by a different architect/designer ... Norman Foster, Jean Nouvel, Zaha Hadid, David Chipperfield, Marc Newson, Kathryn Findlay, ...

If I manage to stay there in 2 weeks, I will most likely stay in a Kathryn Findlay room (so awesome!) or on the Zaha Hadid floor.
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

I must say the design scheme of the Marc Newson floor looks remarkably similar to that of the QF Flounges in MEL and SYD. I wonder if he has a template that he just slaps on everywhere.

Comment

Now where in the world did this thread start from???

I must say the design scheme of the Marc Newson floor looks remarkably similar to that of the QF Flounges in MEL and SYD. I wonder if he has a template that he just slaps on everywhere.
                      I was wondering when KeithMEL would work in his beloved 'roo!
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        Now where in the world did this thread start from???
                        It was split from a Chicago hotels' thread.

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                        I was wondering when KeithMEL would work in his beloved 'roo!
                        And I was wondering when you'd post what you just posted.

Comment

It was split from a Chicago hotels' thread.
                          Ahhh...found it...from long ago...

And I was wondering when you'd post what you just posted.
                          My apologies for my tardiness.
                          HUGE AL

Comment

Just added this to one of my must-visit places:
                            Fujiya Inn
                            http://www.fujiya-ginzan.com/index.php

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              Just added this to one of my must-visit places:
                              Fujiya Inn
                              http://www.fujiya-ginzan.com/index.php
                              Thanks for posting. Nice and very comprehensive English info.

Comment

Working...
                              X