The cheapest IC chain property I've (n)ever stayed at

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The cheapest IC chain property I've (n)ever stayed at

I have four IC chain hotel stays during March booked (including a mini-run of three different hotels at LHR on three consecutive nights), but wanted to add a fifth to qualify for a 10k points bonus - okay, 10k points isn't the be-all and end-all, but the 2k KF miles they translate into (or 2 x pointbreaks stays) are pretty useful to me right now, plus the leg up towards Plat requalification for 2009 couldn't be ignored, so I went in search of a cheap room to notch up a fifth stay!

Luckily enough, the cheapest HI rate I could find (in fact, the lowest possible UK HI rate at only £39) was only 4.13 miles from my house. The way the maths pans out (with this stay being the lynchpin) was that this £39 rate will earn me an impressive 12,700 PriorityClub points (these same points would cost the best part of US$130 or ~£65 if I purchased from PC), so I decided to book a room for tonight

mrs nickbot thought I was a little mad (perhaps I am!) when I told her of my plans, especially when we agreed that staying at the hotel wasn't really convenient tonight, but was soon "kind of" convinced (or simply humouring me!) Despite this, we drove the 4.13 miles over to the hotel and checked in at 3pm today; sat and watched TV for an hour with a cup of tea and then left to go home. We'll drive over tomorrow morning on our way to the supermarket and check out!

The dialogue at checkin made us smile

Reception: "Will you require a wake up call or newspaper?"
    Me: "No, thank you"
    Reception: "Will you require breakfast?"
    Reception: "Will you require a table in the restaurant tonight?"
    Reception: "Enjoy your stay"
    Me: "Thank you, we will"

Anyhow, despite the less than salubrious location (right near the M1 motorway), and looking a little jaded from the outside shot on the PC website:

...the foyer and general check-in experience gave a good impression to the property, and the room, whilst pretty bog-standard for HI properties, was clean and looked to be relatively recently refurbished:

...the view from the room was less than inspiring, but HI PhiPhi this aint

I suppose this hotel serves a purpose (probably more of a motorway overnighter or conference venue), but in terms of location it's not really practical for visiting Nottingham, as it's roughly an 8 mile drive to the city centre. The fact that £39 rooms were still available at midday on Saturday for the same night indicates that they're perhaps stuggling for weekend visitors, and this was confirmed by the observation that the carpark was pretty much empty and we didn't see any other guests during our walks through communal areas.

Anyhow, a fairly random mattress run report, and perhaps an illustration of how one can get a little points crazy at times, hope this brings a smile to your faces and hope you all have a pleasant weekend

Well, your "points" mind has grown up! Drinks to that...
    Why went back home? Sometimes a night off from home would spice up your life.
    Early of the year, I had a visitor. To maximize the time together, I ended up staying in downtown overnight... Additional points to my hotel program as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
      Well, your "points" mind has grown up! Drinks to that...
      Has indeed , shame I don't get the opportunity to earn more miles/points from actual flying!

Why went back home? Sometimes a night off from home would spice up your life.
      Early of the year, I had a visitor. To maximize the time together, I ended up staying in downtown overnight... Additional points to my hotel program as well.
      We're back home because we have another commitment this evening I agree, a night in a hotel can be a nice break even if it's close to home; with a little more thought we could have stayed in Birmingham (sorry MANFlyer ) and visited one of the world's best foodcourts, but this would have cost a fair bit more - perhaps next time!

Comment

I'll be SQ LPP on this one:

Hmmm, "visitor"? Overnight to spend time together = dot dot dot?
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
            I agree, a night in a hotel can be a nice break even if it's close to home; ...
            And yeah in the morning you can have this much appetite after ...

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            Hmmm, "visitor"? Overnight to spend time together = dot dot dot?

Naughty boy...
            I am too naive and innocent in this department...

Comment

And yeah in the morning you can have this much appetite after ...
              He he, forgot to mention that the £39 rate doesn't include breakfast! Even if it did, I doubt it would be as appetizing as yours looked

Comment

Originally posted by nickbot View Post
                ...the view from the room was less than inspiring, but HI PhiPhi this aint

Anyhow, a fairly random mattress run report, and perhaps an illustration of how one can get a little points crazy at times, hope this brings a smile to your faces and hope you all have a pleasant weekend
                View from the room looks like hospital (staff) accomodation.

I know all about mattress run. I've had to drive all the way to LHR (30 miles) several times to drop off/pick up the SPG tart.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  I know all about mattress run. I've had to drive all the way to LHR (30 miles) several times to drop off/pick up the SPG tart.
                  You got to exact some kind of toll in terms of his Bengawan Solo pineapple tarts (real tarts this time), presumably?

Comment

I remembered many times when we drove across the US, we had stayed in that U-shaped building accomodation.
                    Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                    ... Bengawan Solo pineapple tarts ...
                    A bit OT, it is annoying that the shop at T3 doesn't open early enough. A friend tried to get some snacks for me, but the shop was still closed at 630am...

Comment

A bit OT, it is annoying that the shop at T3 doesn't open early enough. A friend tried to get some snacks for me, but the shop was still closed at 630am...
                      The one in T1 (right opposite the <cough cough> checkin counters ) definitely was open by then.

( to cawhite for calling my attention to the T1 option, but to Sir I for getting me addicted in the first place.)

Comment

I stayed at the IC in Bethlehem last week as it was USD70 per night inc breakfast, absolute bargain.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

This thread brought a chuckle to my face as it reminded me of my own mattress run, and the bizarre looks I got at check in.

Hopefully you'd get some good value out of those Points and I'd see you in MEL one day.
                          All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Looks just like my university halls of residence too, now there's a blast from the past!

Well, as hotel nickbot shower room renovations are still ongoing, we visited the hotel this morning to make use of the power shower and fluffy white towels before checking out in order to maximise my £39 investment

Comment

Working...
                            X