• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood hotel reviews - New York

W New York-Lexington Ave, #3
    W New York-Times Square, #18-20
    W New York-Union Square, #2
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 September 2009, 02:49 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

W New York-Union Square
    201 Park Avenue South (at 17th)

This seemed to be a rather inimate, boutique-style W. They had a smaller Living Room than the other Ws I've stayed at (except perhaps W Chicago-Lakeshore), which was segregated from the Welcome and Whatever (concierge) desks. The Welcome Desk was pretty cool - very green. I'd thought it was faux grass till I actually touched it.

The Living Room seemed smaller (and seating was scarce on a busy night! Well, every night!) than most others, but it has perhaps the best crowd of all. They also played the most genres of music, there was techno, R+B, house, funk, rap and even top 40 - other Ws simply concentrated on either House or techno. Unfortunately I couldn't drink the lychee martini that the Living Room Bar of this property is famous for. They made me a non-alcoholic version but it just tasted wrong without all the booze. Underbar, another outpost of Rande Gerber's nightclub empire like Whiskey Blue, was simply heaving on weekends.

There was a Beaux Arts and sorta avant garde theme running through the hotel, which was designed by David Rockwell and happened to be the landmark Guardian Life building. I loved their hallways which were nice and dim. There was something cool and mysterious about them.

We were upgraded 2 categories from a Wonderful Room to a Mega Room, the biggest room they had with 2 double beds. It was nice and big by Manhattan standards and came with a fax machine. But for a W I felt that there was nothing special about the design, and in fact parts of the room seemed worn. It actually felt like I was staying in any other hotel. The leather headboard was nice to feel though.

The hotel housed a Mediterranean fusion restaurant on the ground floor, Olives by Todd English. The service was excellent, but unfortunately the same could not be said about the food. There was nothing wrong with the food, but nothing spectacular either and for the same price there were much better dining options elsewhere in Union Square.

The location of this W simply cannot be beaten. IMO it is the best located W in NYC. The Union Square/Gramercy neighbourhood had a lot to offer in terms of food and nightlife (and Chelsea was only a short walk away), and had much more character and sass than the midtown area. There was great shopping just 2 avenues away on 5th, and Union Square market is always a sight to behold. My favourite neighbourhoods, the Meatpacking District, SoHo, the Village, Alphabet City and Tribeca were all easily reached within a few stops from the subway station across the street from the hotel.

Me outside the W Union Square - with newly acquired pair of 'Floyd' by Badgley Mischka

The service was also immaculate. Whatever/Whenever truly delivered with astoundingly quick responses to our requests. The concierge team were superb. I'd liaised with them before arrival for assistance with restaurant reservations, and not only did they booked what I'd wanted but they'd also came up with a list of 'must eat' or in SQTalk speak 'die die must try' places in Union Square and NYC generally, and even took liberties with making tentative reservations for us at some of the busier restaurants. Upon hearing that it was my parents' first time in NYC, they'd immediately suggested things that they simply had to see (some of which I'd missed on my last visit), and were most helpful in organising itineraries and booking tours. Special cheers to Heather, George and Aisha if any of you happen to browse this forum - you rock!

I felt the W Union Square's strengths more than made up for the deficiencies I'd noted. The rooms aren't the sexiest, but this is NYC and we were too tired to notice when we came back after a long day (and night!) anyway. The in-house restaurant isn't the best - but its location meant there are SO many other awesome restaurants to choose from. Throw in the fantastic service, great crowd and great music - there's not much else to ask for.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 8 March 2008, 12:20 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

W New York - Lexington Ave

I was going to write an actual report but I think my email to the GM probably suffices...

Well Hey There Edward,

I hope you're having a most Whimsical Weekend.

As per your Wish, I have decided to write in about my recent W New York experience. I was eagerly anticipating my stay at this particular W, as I make it a point to check out every single property across the brand (in December I am making a trip to Doha just because there's a W there!), and also because your recent refurb has produced a rather kick arse new decor! Normally I'd stay more downtown at the W Union Square in order to be near Soho but I thought I'd check out your property for a change. Sadly, I was on the whole rather disappointed with my first (and last) W NY experience.

I'd start with the compliments - I LOVE the decor!! The Living Room is amazing, and I love the v minimalist decor in the room with v clever use of colours and space. I also loved the lighting in the hallways, which struck a great compromise between the traditional dark and clubby W feel, and those who prefer more lighting. I particularly enjoyed W Sundays, and appreciate the stringent enforcement of the dress code. The Acura service was most handy in getting me downtown - the booking process was simple and efficient, and my driver was ace. Also not to forget - the friendly folks at the concierge desk (David in particular) who were a great help.

Unfortunately the brickbats far outweigh the bouquets. First, I am most disappointed with the general lack of service when it came to other aspects of the W NY. To begin with, when I arrived in my airport express shuttle, none of the Welcome Ambassadors milling around the entrance offered to lend a hand with my rather heavy suitcase. This lack of any form of welcome continued at the Welcome Desk, where I was served by the most surly Welcome Desk agent I've ever met - I'd only been at the hotel for 10 mins by then but have never felt so unwelcome!

But the worst was yet to come, I know upgrades are the bug bear of every property but it is the upgrade perk of SPG Platinum status that keeps me loyal to Ws as well as Starwood as a whole (vs staying at independent boutique design hotels). I don't even mind being stuck in a shoebox if a property genuinely has no better alternatives available. But if there's one thing I hate - it's being blatantly lied to about an upgrade. Whilst I was checking in, I was told that due to there being no Fantastic Suites available I was being upgraded to a Mega Room (or something that sounded big and impressive). However I arrived to find the same room category as I'd booked, which I believe to be a Cozy Room (if that teeny room was a Mega Room I'd hate to see what a Cozy Room looks like). I then rang up to speak to the Welcome Manager who thankfully found me a much bigger room, it was twice the size of the initial room I was allocated (though aforesaid surly Welcome Desk agent snarled at me and mentioned something along the lines of "it's the same room category anyway.."). That was really a low point in my W NY experience which has barely begun.

I'd hoped that my experience would improve but unfortunately I was yet again let down by the disinterested staff at the Living Room. The Living Room is a major part of any W experience in my view, as I love spending time relaxing there, enjoying the cocktails, people watching and in general - soaking up the W vibe. It is often a great starter place to hang out at for a drink or 5 prior to hitting the city's nightspots. Unfortunately the W NY Living Room was simultaneously short staffed and had servers who seemed intent to avoid serving anybody whatsoever.

I should also inform you that I intend to write a review of this property on Flyertalk, Australian Frequent Flyer as well as other travel forums. I LOVE Ws and it pains me to write a negative review. As well, I always talk up Ws - barring minor quibbles, I have enjoyed every single W I've experienced up till now and hence enthusiastically recommend them to everyone who ask for advice on accomodation. But I cannot in my right mind recommend the W NY - not even with the relatively good value Cat 5 Cash and Points redemption option for this property. Most importantly, it's often been said that the best customers are the ones who complain - I felt so let down and angry at the disparity between my W NY experience vs my W experiences in general that I feel compelled to write in.

Your attention is greatly appreciated, and I do look forward to an improvement in standards of this property - but suffice to say I am rather glad that there are many other Ws to choose from in NYC. In short, I would not have been all that whelmed if this was my intial W experience, which is ironic given that this W was the launch property for the W brand and hence ought to be the flagship property.

Warm Wishes,
      KeithMEL
      I sent the email over 5 days ago and there's been no response yet, despite the Out-Of-Office auto reply promising a reply within 48 hours.

Comment

I''ve wrote to Ed before to provide feedback as requested and - eventually (even though my e-mail was somewhat less wordy than yours!) - received a reply and some points for my (minor) troubles.

Comment

deleted
          Last edited by trekkie; 23 September 2010, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            I''ve wrote to Ed before to provide feedback as requested and - eventually (even though my e-mail was somewhat less wordy than yours!) - received a reply and some points for my (minor) troubles.
            No response as yet, I wonder if i can be bothered doing a follow-up email. Says a lot about the property as a whole really, when not even the GM is interested in addressing guests' concerns. In contrast, GMs at other Ws have always responded promptly, ranging from 15 mins to just under 24 hours after the initial email is sent, whether they're compliments or complaints. Back to the W Union Sq for me. Or maybe the new W Downtown. David at the concierge desk will be missed, but Union Sq also has some fully sick parties.
            Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 July 2009, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              No response as yet, I wonder if i can be bothered doing a follow-up email. Says a lot about the property as a whole really, when not even the GM is interested in addressing guests' concerns. In contrast, GMs at other Ws have always responded promptly, ranging from 15 mins to just under 24 hours after the initial email is sent, whether they're compliments or complaints. Back to the W Union Sq for me. Or maybe the new W Downtown. David at the concierge desk will be missed, but Union Sq also has some fully sick parties.
              Not to mention the brand.

Question: is the hotel union? If so, that would explain A LOT.
              HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                Not to mention the brand.

Question: is the hotel union? If so, that would explain A LOT.
                No, it's Lexington Ave - see post #3. Union is sexy (even if the decor is kinda meh)!

Lexington is a real bleep in the brand I have to say! Also my 2nd time staying so midtown - still not enamoured, and the only real plus I can see are drinks at Dream, and the only Dolce and Gabbana store in NYC on Madison and 70th! (ok maybe the eye candy at the A+F store on 5th too )

Does anyone know where exactly W Downtown is (123 Washington St)? Or more specifically, is it convenient to get to SoHo from W DT? Or should I stick to Union Sq (which is probably easier for MePa and Chelsea)? My driver also raved about the W Hoboken but I don't think I want to stay across the river.
                Last edited by KeithMEL; 28 July 2009, 12:46 PM.

Comment

No, it's Lexington Ave - see post #3. Union is sexy (even if the decor is kinda meh)!
                  hahahahaha I knew we might have a problem here... I meant is it union run.

Does anyone know where exactly W Downtown is (123 Washington St)? Or more specifically, is it convenient to get to SoHo from W DT? Or should I stick to Union Sq (which is probably easier for MePa and Chelsea)? My driver also raved about the W Hoboken but I don't think I want to stay across the river.
                  Your beloved W is in the middle of nowhere. Easiest way to SoHo is to walk two blocks South and one block East to the Rector Street Station. Take the 1 Train uptown to Canal (three stops). You'll be relatively SW of all the fun stuff by a couple blocks.
                  HUGE AL

Comment

Originally posted by HUGE AL View Post
                    hahahahaha I knew we might have a problem here... I meant is it union run.
                    Hmm, don't know about that. OTOH I didn't have any such problems at the W Seattle even if it was union-run, and they seemed to have a lot less staff than W NY.

Your beloved W is in the middle of nowhere. Easiest way to SoHo is to walk two blocks South and one block East to the Rector Street Station. Take the 1 Train uptown to Canal (three stops). You'll be relatively SW of all the fun stuff by a couple blocks.
                    OK, it sounds like the W DT is around the vicinity of Ground Zero. W Union Sq it is...

Comment

Hmm, don't know about that. OTOH I didn't have any such problems at the W Seattle even if it was union-run, and they seemed to have a lot less staff than W NY.
                      Ahhh...good to know. You liked the Seattle property, right (except for being cutoff at 2am )? As the only W I find acceptable, I will be there again shortly.

OK, it sounds like the W DT is around the vicinity of Ground Zero.
                      Yup. You're a block away.
                      HUGE AL

Comment

Better late than never I suppose. Seems like a sincere and unreservedly apologetic email.

Welcome Mr. KeithMEL,

I am responding on behalf of our General Manager, Ed Maynard. First and foremost allow me to apologize on behalf of entire team. I will like to thank you for bringing this to our attention. Feedback from our Guests is very important to us as it often times pinpoints areas of needed focus. Also it helps us to provide in future reservations a better service to our guest. As one of the Guest Service Managers here at W New York, I always like to make it a point to reach out to my guests and get their feedback. I really don’t like to see guests leave with any type of disappointments.

I always put myself in the same shoes as the guest and believe me I was concerned to read about your W experiences. All of our guests are important and should not go through this experience. Our goal is to provide our guests with a memorable and enjoyable stay from start to finish. I have read some of the specifics of your incident and agree there is no excuse for anything less than courteous, friendly and overly attentive service. This feedback will also be brought to our operating teams and managers so we can learn from this and improve our service across our company. I am not writing to offer you any excuses, just my sincere regret that such a thing had to happen to any one of our guests. We take our promise of being your home away from home very seriously and again please accept my apologies. Please be assured that this in not the norm but the exception and as one of our loyal W guest it is particularly upsetting when I hear stories such as yours. Voicing your opinion on issues such as these while frustrating are what help to make us better and I thank you for that opportunity.

As a gesture of our concern for the inconveniences you have faced, we have also honored 12,000 Starwood points towards your Platinum Starwood account #xxxxxxxxxxxx. Please allow 3-5 business days for the points to be reflected on your account. And do not hesitate to contact us at anytime should you need any assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Warm Regards,
                        xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 3 August 2009, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Good to see Starwood finally answering.

Comment

It's nice, but would have been better if the GM replied to you himself. Not a hard thing to do and many feel it is important enough for them to take on personally.
                            HUGE AL

Comment

And for comparison, here's the e-mail I received from the WUS with 5,000 points comp a few years ago:

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthr...=7279#post7279

Comment

Working...
                              X