Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews of Starwood properties - San Francisco

W San Francisco, #2-3
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

W San Francisco
    181 3rd St (at Howard)

WoW. Just WoW. C'mon say it with me - WoW!!

We'd booked a Wonderful Room with 2 doubles, but were upgraded to a Fantastic Suite on the 24th floor! There was a bit of confusion at first as our reservation reflected an upgrade to a Fabulous Room, and we were told we had a 'Fabulous Suite' (a non-existent room category!) at check in. But the description of our suite matches that of the Fantastic Suite on spg.com. These spanking pads have a bedroom which contained a king sized Wonderful Bed, a separate lounge room with a Murphy Bed, and 2 full bathrooms (ie TWICE as much Bliss Lemon+Sage!!)! My parents took the King bed, whilst I had the Murphy Bed - which turned out to be very comfortable. Considering that there were very few Fantastic Suites in the property, this was a great score! There was ample space and privacy for 3 people, and the furnishings just felt so warm, soothing and relaxing. The very homey feel made us feel...uhh...very much at home!

Bedroom

Lounge room

Bathrooms

I was relieved that they hadn't meddled too much with the traditional stark and dark W look in the Fantastic Suite with their recent refurbishment. With the Fantastic Suites all that's changed is a lighter-coloured bedspread. I'd seen the refurbished Wonderful and Spectacular Rooms through other people's holiday photos and hadn't liked the general trend from stark and dark to bright and lily white.

Hallways had a very Californian feel, but again dark is good and I prefer the dim hallways at places like W Chicago-Lakeshore or W NY-Union Sq. Dim hallways add a very sensual edge to a hotel. The hallways here were just a tad too bright for my liking. They felt pretty 2-dimensional and can be a rude shock to the constitution in the morning. They had these cute fortune cookie quotes hanging outside every room door - cheesy, but cute.

Of all the Ws I've stayed at, the W San Francisco has perhaps the best Living Room of them all. The crowd was at times a wee bit business-y/suit-y due to the hotel's proximity to the convention centre, but on the whole there's such a cool and trendy vibe about the place that one immediately feels welcome and settled upon arrival. The Living Room, decor of which I'd describe as radical Asian with splashes of white, purple and blue and framed by a generous dose of black, is anchored by its circular bar. Adjacent to the bar are heaps of comfy couches, and a fireplace. They also had a DJ every evening, spinning some very chilled out House. There was a good crowd no matter what time of the day it was right up till the Californian 2am liquor embargo. There were also usually random staff members doling out free stuff in the Living Room - be it free Bliss Spa amenities or vouchers, or free vodka jelly shots (here's where I gave in to temptation a few times...).

The bar served up some very good martinis - my martini-mad mum certainly enjoyed her evenings at the Living Room, as HUGE AL can attest to... They were also quite adept at making me Virgin cocktails. I wasn't quite prepared for how spicy Virgin Marys taste though.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Living Room by day

Welcome desk

...and by night

There was also free wifi in the Living Room.

The service here was generally decent. Everyone was super efficient and friendly. And good looking. Concierge was generally of a high standard, except one of the night shift staff who gave HUGE AL and I the runaround town to a 24/7 diner that no longer exists.

The hotel's restaurant XYZ serves up some lovely Californian fare - the chef's menu paired with wines is highly recommended and is of fantastic value. With some serious eye candy to boot. There was another bar on the 2nd floor, XYZ bar. I didn't hang around there too much, except to attend a free wine tasting on the 2nd day during which I once again gave in to temptation (i know, i know...) and had a few sips (ok 2 glasses... but hey I'm still alive!) of some lovely Californian wines.

The W is located about a 15 minutes' walk to the shopping at Union Square. And 15-20 minutes' by cab to Fisherman's Wharf. Immediately surrounding the hotel is the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, some nice restaurants (my favourite was Two), as well as a Peet's outlet which was handy for soy lattes when needed. Nightlife isn't too far away either, whether by cab or tram.

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at this W. There was just such a welcoming vibe about the place. I was truly sorry to have to leave by the end of my visit to SF!

Comment

Very nice pics. It's next door to the SF Museum of Modern Art. Even if you don't go to the art museum you can go to the gift shop; it's very nice.

On Howard Street, the W is next store to SF Fire Dept's Station Number 1!

Comment

Originally posted by kevino View Post
          On Howard Street, the W is next store to SF Fire Dept's Station Number 1!
          The Fire Dept is on 3rd St I think. But yes they're near each other.

Comment

Haha, no, it's on Howard Street. I walk by it everyday on my way to work!

Here's the pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/monicadahl/1489208158/

Comment

When they were constructing the W, a part of the facing to the building fell from the crane lifting it. It crashed through the roof of the fire station. Amazingly, no firemen or women were hurt.

Comment

Hmm... I walked by the FD on the way to Two and distinctly remember it being on 3rd St.

The pic below was taken on 3rd St, unless it's some back entrance to the FD??

Comment

I didn't realise SF firemen dress like this!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post

Comment

I still don't get it with the darkened Welcome Desk by night. I had it too at W in New York. Seemed that they try to project an ultra cool image for a Vampire gathering place...nope..I am not enamoured with W hotels so far.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                        I still don't get it with the darkened Welcome Desk by night. I had it too at W in New York. Seemed that they try to project an ultra cool image for a Vampire gathering place...nope..I am not enamoured with W hotels so far.
                        Because the Living Room doubles up as a bar, or sometimes a club. Whether the Welcome Desk also darkens or not depends on how integrated it is with the rest of the Living Room. And no one wants to drink under bright lights. Or maybe it's just me.

I don't think the Welcome Desk at the W SF darkens because it's in a separate area with the rest of the Living Room. The Whatever Desk is in the Living Room itself though. Oh and they have the coolest Whatever Desk agents and Welcome Ambassadors ever at this property.

Having said that they might be catering to your taste because everything is brightening up in recent refurbishments (cue the new W LA rooms and the W SF hallways). One of the WA peeps said that was the general trend for the Californian Ws. This vampire is depressed.

I loved the Living Room of the W NOLA-Poydras because it is dark no matter what time of the day it is, except the bits exposed to natural light. Feels more like a cool nightclub.

As always, YMMV.
                        Last edited by KeithMEL; 6 April 2008, 08:29 PM. Reason: wrong smiley

Comment

A lot less clothing and definitely more fashionable than our British firemen.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                            A lot less clothing and definitely more fashionable than our British firemen.
                            We know now what will be more appropriate for your X-mas present this year...

Comment

I don't think that manbag is appropriate!

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Because the Living Room doubles up as a bar, or sometimes a club.
                              OK, that's stretching it! In LA, yes...but "club" at the W SF??? I don't think so... Especially since (according to you), "They're all wearing suits and just so businessy!"

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                              We know now what will be more appropriate for your X-mas present this year...
                              Bring on the naughtiness! I'm loving it! hahahahaha
                              HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                              X