X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your 2006 SQTalk travel awards!

Copying a thread started by Raffles on the BA board of TOF:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6814116

Yes, it's that time of year again when you can share the highs and lows of your travelling life with the rest of the FT universe!

Based on a mix of my categories from 2004 and PhilH's from 2005, here are my suggestions for categories, with my responses to follow in the next post. Feel free to give away your own gongs, and to add your own personal award categories.

Best Flight
    Worst Flight
    Best Airport / Lounge
    Worst Airport / Lounge
    Best Hotel
    Worst Hotel
    Best Mileage Earning Opportunity of the Year
    Biggest Travel-Related F***-Up of the Year
    Biggest Travel Disappointment of the Year
    Regret of the Year
    Your Gold Special Award (anything you like)
    Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award
    I'll post my BA board focused response from that thread but how about people here ?

Best Flight - SQ J FRA-SIN - first time in SQ J longhaul, sat in 17K (upper deck exit row opposite the crew seat ) and amazing service from the crew.

Worst Flight - Eurostar QQW-BRU - nothing wrong with that in itself but it replaced some flights ex-LHR I had during the travel chaos in August.

Best Airport / Lounge - SIN airport for its ultra-efficiency; NRT NH F lounge for typical Japanese service; and LGW Terraces - the start of another weekend away!

Worst Airport / Lounge - FRA for its confusing layout; the KRK lounge (a tiny prison cell) and the BA/AF CDG lounge.

Best Hotel - Shangri-La Pudong - upgraded to a large suite with a jaw dropping view of the Bund.

Worst Hotel - some no name dive near Tiger Leaping Gorge in Yunnan, Southwest China with no heating during winter; mysterious calls on my mobile all night; rowdy truck drivers; women who asked me whether I "wanted to go to Shangri-La"; and strict instructions not to walk down the street of the town at night!

Best Mileage Earning Opportunity of the Year - Tesco wine offer (£200 for 30,000 BA miles plus a dozen boxes of miniature bottles of cr*p wine) or the Goldener Hirsch free suite upgrade plus 25,000 BA miles offer.

Biggest Travel-Related F***-Up of the Year - none that I can think of (other than foolishly thinking that I would actually sit in all of my selected 2A seats on forthcoming CE flights!).

Biggest Travel Disappointment of the Year - my first SQ F longhaul which I'd psyched myself up for but which was a disappointing anti-climax; and ScottC and influential not reciprocating on my offer to have their babies.

Regrets of the Year - only signing up for FFPs this year and also not discovering FT earlier.

Your Gold Special Award (anything you like): :-: :-: :-: for the following
    Raffles - say no more!
    Smirnoff and DavidA for my BA silver card
    The organisers of all of the away Do's I've been to (and the LON Do) - Andrius, Jenbel, Pyeinthesky and Steady-EDI

Things You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award - my first BA miles booking (using an Amex 241 as well); becoming BA gold and getting lots of love from the BAEC ; my first BA CW or F; and having to endure yet more SQ J/F to renew SQ PPS status.

=================================

For SQTalk, I think I'd only like to add a few Gold Special Awards to CGK, jjpb3, LukeGT, MAN Flyer, MovieMan, shortfinals, StarG and everyone else for all of the advice and encouragement to achieve KF silver (and beyond!); the LON SQ Do I went to; the amazing YVR SQ Do; SQTalk (old and new); and the SQ gossip on here (including MAN Flyer's strangely accurate dreams).
    Last edited by jhm; 8 December 2006, 11:48 PM.

Comment

Best Flight: SQ002SIN-HKG-SFO. First time in F..... and simply wonderful.
      Worst Flight: AZ539 MUC-MXP then cancelled and rerouted through LH and AZ2050 (another tragic flight)
      Best Airport / Lounge: APT = Singapore. Lounge: SQSKL in SIN, JTK lounge.
      Worst Airport / Lounge: APT = MXP; loungeelta lounge in EWR
      Best Hotel: Ritz-Carlton in SIN
      Worst Hotel: ehm.... no comment.
      Best Mileage Earning Opportunity of the Year: UA Transcon mistake fare.... JFK-LAX-MSY and back
      Regret of the Year: AZ has not failed yet.
      Your Gold Special Award (anything you like): a certain SQTalker
      Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award: keep to be PPS and BA Gold. Travelling a lot on SQ and flying on SAA.
      There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
      If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        Things You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award - ... becoming BA gold and getting lots of love from the BAEC ...
        Uh oh. In case that wasn't a tongue-in-cheek comment (despite the wink), maybe you should lower your expectations on that one.

On the other hand, if you had said BA Gold (OW Emerald) and getting lots of love from TraitorAir, you might be on more solid ground. TraitorAir is very good at giving special recognition to Emeralds.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Paging for CGK.... Paging for CGK....

This is a traitors' clump.....
          There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
          If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Best Flight: SQ11/12 (first time in F!)
            Worst Flight: EUG-PDX in an E120 turboprop....in a January snowstorm
            Best Airport / Lounge: APT = Singapore. LOUNGE: SKL in SIN, NH in NRT, NZ in SYD
            Worst Airport / Lounge: APT = CGK; Lounge: old UA/NZ at MEL
            Best Hotel: Putrajaya Shangri-La (nice views)
            Worst Hotel: my apartment in Berkeley (absolutely no service! )
            Best Mileage Earning Opportunity of the Year: Quadruple miles on UA in March - took SFO-SYD-MEL RT and SFO-JFK-NRT-SIN RT - got me some 170k total.
            Biggest Travel-Related F***-Up of the Year: not taking advantage of TG F, instead I took SQ regional C
            Biggest Travel Disappointment of the Year: Haven't earned miles since March
            Regret of the Year: Not requalifying for 1K
            Your Gold Special Award (anything you like):
            Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award: I just hope I can get a job...hopefully one that'll let me fly like CGK
            Last edited by globetrekker84; 9 December 2006, 03:57 PM. Reason: Added some stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post
              Paging for CGK.... Paging for CGK....

This is a traitors' clump.....
              Snitch.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                Uh oh. In case that wasn't a tongue-in-cheek comment (despite the wink), maybe you should lower your expectations on that one.
                What ? No op-ups to F on every flight and waitlists clearing like magic with a mere flash of my BA GOLD card ?

Comment

Best Flight: UA LAX-NRT had the best crew so far this year out of all my flights
                  Worst Flight: UA BOS-SFO I was hungry those BOB's don't fill me up and my upgrade didn't clear, got a bad stomach, plus my bag misconnected
                  Best Airport / Lounge: SIN by far
                  Worst Airport / Lounge: ORD first time through ORD the flight was delayed 40 minutes
                  Best Mileage Earning Opportunity of the Year: LAX-JFK USD 129 all in 3 of them! 5/6 flights in C also

Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award: I'm flying CMB-SIN-HKG in SQ F and getting to take the new F and skysuite on SQ 1

Comment

Originally posted by fumitani View Post
                    Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award: I'm flying CMB-SIN-HKG in SQ F and getting to take the new F and skysuite on SQ 1
                    New J/F on SIN-HKG as well ? When are you going ?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                      Snitch.
                      CGK is drunk!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        New J/F on SIN-HKG as well ? When are you going ?
                        Jan 6th SQ 862 SIN-HKG
                        Jan 14th SQ 1 HKG-SIN

F on both sectors

Comment

Best Flight
                          Well of course any flight in SQ F has to be a candidate. However at risk of being flamed and branded a traitor for life I am going to give my award to my CX CGK-HKG flight. Now I am very clear that overall SQ is my preferred way to travel but this was my first time in CX F and there is a certain excitement from trying something new. Also I was the only passenger in F so had two great FAs looking after me.
                          Worst Flight
                          None of my actual flights were terrible this year. But I suppose for the overall travel experience the award has to go to one of my Sana'a - Mukalla flights in Yemen. We were delayed for 8 hours and just had to sit around in the departure gate for the whole time with no food or water. The actual flight when it finally took off was fine.
                          Best Airport / Lounge
                          Best airport has to go to SIN it is just the most efficient airport out there . Best Lounge has to be the LH FCT
                          Worst Airport / Lounge
                          It would be very easy to give this award to Sana'a as it really is not a great airport but I think considering the resources available to it that is not really fair. Therefore my award goes to LHR and in particular BAA for being a complete and utter shambles whenever I have travelled through it this year.
                          I don't particularly like to give out a reward for worst lounge as so much of my travel does not entitle me to access a lounge I do appreciate them when I get the chance. However I think I will have to give the award to the OS SEN lounge in VIE for just being so small.
                          Best Hotel
                          The FS Hong Kong I think is by far the nicest hotel I have stayed in this year but to be honest it is not up against much competition.
                          Worst Hotel
                          I have been lucky and not stayed anywhere too bad this year. I think the award must go to my recent hotel in Tirana (can't remember it's name). No english language TV channels, the worst breakfast I have ever had at a hotel, it was impossible to close the door without slamming it and although not the hotels fault there were roadworks right outside my room which went on all night.
                          By far the best way to earn miles in my view is to travel in SQ F. Been lucky and got to experience it twice this year.
                          No major disasters this year. Nearest I had was flying EK from LHR to DXB. I took a wrong turning in LHR going to the gate and rather than be able to just turn around they made me go through flight connection centre and through security. They were just about to off load me when I finally amde it to the right gate.
                          No disappointments it is all a great experience.
                          Regret of the Year
                          I would like to say no regrets but the truth is that I do regret leaving my CX F PJs on the plane after my HKG-YVR flight.
                          This goes to CGK for hosting such a good DO in YVR
                          Has to be travelling in SQ new products. I guess the award has to go to travelling in the new SQ F (and hopefully the new A380 F product) but I'd settle for any class if it meant that I was travelling on the golden bird again.

Comment

Best Flight: SQ J SIN-ICN-SFO Great service and it just feels good to be on SQ metel

Worst Flight: HA Y SFO-HNL No service at all and the flight attendants were missing throughout the flight.

Best Airport / Lounge: Gotta give my vote to SIN. Efficient, Clean, Organized

Worst Airport / Lounge: ICN no priority boarding and just somehow didn't like the layout.

Best Hotel: Miyako Hotel San Francisco, Small and cosy and I loved the ofuro in each room.

Worst Hotel: loved all the hotels I stayed in this year

Biggest Travel Disappointment of the Year: Not being able to sit in J for my upcoming flight on 18DEC06. SQ 1

Regret of the Year: Choosing to fly on UA. only 1 good flight out of 4. Learned my lesson and am avoiding them at all cost.

Thing You're Most Looking Forward To In 2007 Award: Graduating and moving back to Singapore

Comment

Best Flight
                              01 August 2006 / SQ0321 LHRSIN, Economy Class - classic SQ experience.

Worst Flight

10 December 2006 / CX735 HKGSIN, Economy Class - let's not talk about it.... trip report to come.

Best Airport / Lounge
                              Singapore Changi for reasons ad nauseum

Worst Airport / Lounge
                              LHR Terminal 3 - what a dump

Best Hotel
                              Holiday Inn Silom, Bangkok - very friendly service

Worst Hotel
                              None

01 August 2006 / SQ0321 LHRSIN, Economy Class

Not booking my latest flight to HKG more earlier and forking out S$459 for the "privilege" of flying Cathay Pacific.

Cathay Pacific

Regret of the Year
                              No comment.

Presley from the Silver Kris Lounge, Hong Kong. Very friendly but I can tell he thinks I'm a bit strange. Also the SKL called the gate for the delayed SQ859 yesterday so that a member of staff could bring me the latest SilverKris magazine. Transforming Customer Service (TCS) indeed!

SQ326 SINFRA on B777-300ER

Comment

Working...
                              X