Changi - what next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi - what next ?

Now that SIN T3 has been opened, what's next ? Has talk started about a fourth terminal ? Or is this still a number of years down the line ? Is the renovation of T1 the only thing on the horizon ?

Compare that to Beijing Capital International Airport with it's new terminal 3 (due to open at the end of this month for trials and officially - apparently - at the end of March) which is huge - e.g. PEK will have about 10-20% more floor area than all of Heathrow's terminals (including T5) - but demand is already projected to be too much and a new airport elsewhere in Beijing is being planned.

Crikey, give 'em a chance to start filling the current capacity....

I believe there are longer term plans for a fourth terminal, and the third runway will be the one to the East currently used by the RSAF for Cessna Chasing.

BTW, there are one or two more people in China than Singapore.

Comment

But the whole point is that waiting until the current capacity is full leads to the horrors of (say) LHR! In fact, even with LHR T5, I seem to remember reading somewhere that that isn't enough for BA's needs now and hence the use of T3 and the talk starting now of T6.

So I'm sure the CAAS will no doubt have planned ahead as well and I was just wondering what those plans are, e.g. the fourth terminal you mention.

Comment

I don't think Changi will wait until the full capacity. They will build as the numbers demand for it. If I'm not mistaken, T3 will bring the capacity to 60 million passengers from previously around 40 million per year. However, even until last year, Changi only seen 35 millions passengers.

Singaporeans plans ahead and I think, the plan for T4 will be set in motion once the passenger numbers goes beyond 50 millions.

Comment

there are no plans for T4. the capacity of T3, when it was planned many many years back, was for Changi Airport to be able to handle passenger capacity for the next, at least, 15 years on. T1. T2 and T3 combined.

Rather, the immediate and future concern is how to increase the aircraft movement area to facilitate increase in aircraft movement into and out of Changi. got the hint..........

Comment

Originally posted by lowwol View Post
            there are no plans for T4. the capacity of T3, when it was planned many many years back, was for Changi Airport to be able to handle passenger capacity for the next, at least, 15 years on. T1. T2 and T3 combined.

Rather, the immediate and future concern is how to increase the aircraft movement area to facilitate increase in aircraft movement into and out of Changi. got the hint..........
            For the short term, perhaps, but certainly not for the long term (which may become medium term dependent on growth).

With the completion of T3, the original masterplan of Changi Airport from the 1970s is now complete. By the 1990s, however, the government has already forseen the need to allow further expansion, hence the reclaimation of Changi East. There is now land as big as the entirety of the current airport set aside for future expansion. Even back in the late 1980s and early 1990s, there are already indications of plans for at least 5 main terminals in total and 4 runways.
            Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              But the whole point is that waiting until the current capacity is full leads to the horrors of (say) LHR! In fact, even with LHR T5, I seem to remember reading somewhere that that isn't enough for BA's needs now and hence the use of T3 and the talk starting now of T6.

So I'm sure the CAAS will no doubt have planned ahead as well and I was just wondering what those plans are, e.g. the fourth terminal you mention.
              LHR's bigger issue is its limited slots available, which is dependent on the number of runways as well as permissible flight hours. Their plan is to rebuild all the existing four terminals sans T5, but that will still not solve many problems.

Changi is unlikely to face similar issues. There are no flight curfews here, thanks to the selection of a site whereby flights take place over water. And partly because of the type of aircraft used in this region (relatively more widebodies, and correspondingly lower frequencies) and major markets served from Changi (we do not have a sizeable domestic operation involving plenty of shuttle services), we have relatively less aircraft movements despite high passenger numbers handled.

Comment

well...since u are already providing so much info, i may just add a hint to all posters here that the masterplan for Changi Airport would be the area east of Changi Airport. those who are in the know, whats the land utilisation east of Changi Airport? that is the expansion plan for SCA. clear as mud? cheers to all.

Comment

Originally posted by lowwol View Post
                  well...since u are already providing so much info, i may just add a hint to all posters here that the masterplan for Changi Airport would be the area east of Changi Airport. those who are in the know, whats the land utilisation east of Changi Airport? that is the expansion plan for SCA. clear as mud? cheers to all.
                  The info provided above on Changi East is not really "insider secrets" or anything like that. It just comes from abit of research for a number of years. One of the best sources to know land utilisation plans is to check out the URA's master plan. The most current release (2003) is available here: http://www.ura.gov.sg/ppd/gazettedmp...rontmp2003.htm. You can already see the large tract of grey-coloured zone, which is designated for airport use. The next version of the plan is due this year.

Unfortunately, I have yet to come across any actual masterplan of the airport layout within this zone. The 1991 Singapore Concept Plan actually showed the layout of the 3rd and 4th runways, both of which are aligned side-by-side towards the right of the site. Given that the third runway is now aligned more towards the left, I have my doubts that this plan is finalised.

Comment

I believe this recent public revelation concerning Changi future plans should confirm much of what I have already said:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...333301/1/.html

Cheers!

Comment

Thanks, huaiwei! SIN T4! No mention of when that's expected though...

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                        Thanks, huaiwei! SIN T4! No mention of when that's expected though...
                        Expect it to be flexible for it depends on market growth as I earlier explained. Here's another article which says more or less the same thing.

I am just as excited, although I can't stand how civil servants think they can shroud everything in secrecy without nosy Singaporeans finding out somehow!

Comment

There was information today in the Straits Times and Business Times about the future of Changi. Here's what I can remember.

-T1 Renovation
                          -Budget Terminal Expansion
                          -Planning for T4

Sorry I don't have a copy of the papers anymore.

Comment

I've heard T4's going to be built by runway 02R ....which commercial traffic doesn't use today.

Comment

Singapore's Budget Terminal scheduled for upgrade

Singapore's Budget Terminal scheduled for upgrade
                              Friday March 7, 2008

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore yesterday announced a S$10 million ($7.2 million) expansion project at Changi Airport's Budget Terminal scheduled to begin in July.

The seven-gate facility, which opened in March 2006 and caters to LCCs (Airport Equipment & Technology, Summer 2006), will be enlarged to 28,700 sq. m. from 25,000 and boost annual passenger capacity to 7 million from 2.7 million.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=11989

Comment

Working...
                              X