Recent first class flight comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent first class flight comparisons

I've just made it back to Paris after a 5 week trip that has taken me to Asia (4 times), Australia, and the US (2 times).
    I flew a whole slew of airlines in longhaul first class and I thought I would rank them with short descriptions. My rankings are primarily based on seat comfort, service/food/wine, flight time/convenience (in that order). 10 is highest

SQ 77W in F class CDG-SIN. 10/10. New additional flights ex-cdg now depart at 11pm so the timing couldn't be more convenient. This 12 hour flight felt like 3 hours, so based on that, SQ is consistently doing something right. The 1999 Pichon-Longueville Paulliac doesn't hurt either.

SQ A380 in C class SIN-SYD. 7/10. Considering this is business class, this ranking is quite high due to full flat seat comfort and service. This seat and service is better than some other airlines' first class. Novelty of 380 helps too. I'll do a trip report with pics on my next trip to syd in March if I take the new first class suites. The 1998 Chateau Giscours Margaux is the best business class wine I've ever had and stood up great in my taste test vs. 2001 Cos d'Estournel St. Estephe they were serving in first.

SQ 744 in C class SYD-SIN. 4/10. The miserable spacebed. never again. not even for a short haul 3 hour flight from SIN to HKG. The only time I've flown in that seat and my last.

SQ 77W in F class from TPE-LAX. 10/10. Great bed in the new seats, food, and the flight left at 11pm so I slept the whole way minus an hour before landing.

Japan Airlines 744 in F class LAX-NRT. 7/10. Nice private config with JL's Marc Newsome designed while leather seats made by Poltrona Frau. Not spacious enough though. Service was good and they scored points by offering a Corton Charlemagne white burgundy (which is my fav white wine) and a down duvet. Pretty nice new first class lounge in Tokyo as well.

All Nippon Airlines 77W in F class NRT-SFO. 10/10. This was even better than SQ. The food menu was so extensive and there are about 20 different things you can eat. Highlights were the sashimi and a medium rare wagyu Japanese beef steak. The seat turned into a large flat bed, service was top notch and this was probably one of the best flights I've taken in years. NH is the only real competition to SQ in my book. The pjs or amenity kits they offer are not the best, but I had plenty with me anyway from previous flights and not an important criteria in my ranking.

SQ 744 in F class LAX-NRT. 8/10 The usual skysuite we all know by now. Although a little old, still very comfortable especially with all the different positions. Don't like the day flight as much as SQ 1 night flight to HKG though.

CX 744 in F class NRT-HKG. 9/10. New suites with a ton of space. they didn't have sheets and the duvet due to the regional route being relatively short which was a minus. But overall, it was very comfortable and I slept well after a huge Saturday night out in Tokyo. The food and wine list of CX has been cut back (no more Lynch Bages Paulliac - perhaps to finance those new seats. Only 9 suites in the front of the plane with 4 individual suites along the windows and one in the back middle. No two seats remotely together except perhaps the first two so flying with someone is not ideal although it is possible to dine with someone sitting on the ottoman (as if anyone ever does that).

LH 744 in F class SIN-FRA. 6/10. Full with 16 passengers and every seat taken. LH's product compared pretty low especially after all the great Asian carriers. The fact that those seats are still in service has made LH really slip in terms of offering a competitive first class product. Even UA, who have spent a few years in Chapter 11 have found a way to upgrade their first class seats twice in the same period of time LH has had these in service. At least LH makes nice scrambled eggs onboard and they have those great first class lounges in Germany once you get out of that upstairs sardine can.

Despite some pretty comfortable travel conditions, I'm happy to stay put for at least 3 weeks and not get on any plane no matter how good the seats are!

Silvertoad
    (aka CDG 1K from FT)

Welcome to SQTalk, Silvertoad.
    Thank you for the comparisons! Certainly will help others who search or try to expand their wings. I did that evening flight from CDG last month. Indeed, it was very good (except my bags did not make it to SIN... but that's a different story ) Had an excellent rabbit stew.

Once again, welcome to SQTalk! And perhaps soon you will make a detour to LHR on the Suites.

Comment

Awesome breadth of comparisons. Welcome to SQTalk, Silvertoad.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thank you for the warm welcomes.

Comment

Thanks, Silvertoad for the interesting comparison. I'm more determined to - one day - try NH and JL in F.

If based purely on seat comfort, does the SQ 77F seat still come out top ? Is privacy a factor ?

Comment

Enfin! Welcome to SQTalk Silvertoad

Hope to fly with you on the same flight soon

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
              Thanks, Silvertoad for the interesting comparison. I'm more determined to - one day - try NH and JL in F.

If based purely on seat comfort, does the SQ 77F seat still come out top ? Is privacy a factor ?
              The layout of the 77W on SQ and NH is the same with 1-2-1 configuration in 2 rows. There is plenty of privacy in the NH seats even though there are not walls surrounding the seats. If you are in the middle and someone is next to you, the level of privacy would be about the same. No privacy issues whatsoever on the window seats.

In terms of seat comfort, I would give the edge to NH because the seat can recline and change shape a lot more than SQ's. SQ's downside is that its basically either a seat with minimal recline or its a bed and not much in between.
              Although the beds are comparable in size and length (I'm comparing row 2 on SQ since row 1 is cramped), I would give an edge in comfort to SQ since the bed is a little bit more smooth. But both are very close and NH offers a bottom sheet and a duvet as well.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ Solitaire View Post
                Enfin! Welcome to SQTalk Silvertoad

Hope to fly with you on the same flight soon
                thanks, and yes it took a while but finally I've joined you all here on sq talk. My next SQ flight is in March CDG-SIN-SYD and back via HKG and SIN 2 weeks later. Any overlap?

Comment

Welcome Silvertoad!

I see that your ratings are very biased towards good drinks

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    does the SQ 77F seat still come out top ? Is privacy a factor ?
                    You are assured of total privacy on a 77F. Just you and the pilots. Not sure the seats they put on this will be very nice though. Besides, SQ hasn't got any of these freighters either.

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post
                      Welcome Silvertoad!

that's something we apreciate anyway, right?
                      Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by impresta View Post

Approx 1.5 weeks to go till I go on the bender again....
                        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvertoad View Post
                          I've just made it back to Paris after a 5 week trip that has taken me to Asia (4 times), Australia, and the US (2 times).
                          I flew a whole slew of airlines in longhaul first class and I thought I would rank them with short descriptions. My rankings are primarily based on seat comfort, service/food/wine, flight time/convenience (in that order). 10 is highest

SQ 77W in F class CDG-SIN. 10/10. New additional flights ex-cdg now depart at 11pm so the timing couldn't be more convenient. This 12 hour flight felt like 3 hours, so based on that, SQ is consistently doing something right. The 1999 Pichon-Longueville Paulliac doesn't hurt either.

SQ A380 in C class SIN-SYD. 7/10. Considering this is business class, this ranking is quite high due to full flat seat comfort and service. This seat and service is better than some other airlines' first class. Novelty of 380 helps too. I'll do a trip report with pics on my next trip to syd in March if I take the new first class suites. The 1998 Chateau Giscours Margaux is the best business class wine I've ever had and stood up great in my taste test vs. 2001 Cos d'Estournel St. Estephe they were serving in first.

SQ 744 in C class SYD-SIN. 4/10. The miserable spacebed. never again. not even for a short haul 3 hour flight from SIN to HKG. The only time I've flown in that seat and my last.

SQ 77W in F class from TPE-LAX. 10/10. Great bed in the new seats, food, and the flight left at 11pm so I slept the whole way minus an hour before landing.

Japan Airlines 744 in F class LAX-NRT. 7/10. Nice private config with JL's Marc Newsome designed while leather seats made by Poltrona Frau. Not spacious enough though. Service was good and they scored points by offering a Corton Charlemagne white burgundy (which is my fav white wine) and a down duvet. Pretty nice new first class lounge in Tokyo as well.

All Nippon Airlines 77W in F class NRT-SFO. 10/10. This was even better than SQ. The food menu was so extensive and there are about 20 different things you can eat. Highlights were the sashimi and a medium rare wagyu Japanese beef steak. The seat turned into a large flat bed, service was top notch and this was probably one of the best flights I've taken in years. NH is the only real competition to SQ in my book. The pjs or amenity kits they offer are not the best, but I had plenty with me anyway from previous flights and not an important criteria in my ranking.

SQ 744 in F class LAX-NRT. 8/10 The usual skysuite we all know by now. Although a little old, still very comfortable especially with all the different positions. Don't like the day flight as much as SQ 1 night flight to HKG though.

CX 744 in F class NRT-HKG. 9/10. New suites with a ton of space. they didn't have sheets and the duvet due to the regional route being relatively short which was a minus. But overall, it was very comfortable and I slept well after a huge Saturday night out in Tokyo. The food and wine list of CX has been cut back (no more Lynch Bages Paulliac - perhaps to finance those new seats. Only 9 suites in the front of the plane with 4 individual suites along the windows and one in the back middle. No two seats remotely together except perhaps the first two so flying with someone is not ideal although it is possible to dine with someone sitting on the ottoman (as if anyone ever does that).

LH 744 in F class SIN-FRA. 6/10. Full with 16 passengers and every seat taken. LH's product compared pretty low especially after all the great Asian carriers. The fact that those seats are still in service has made LH really slip in terms of offering a competitive first class product. Even UA, who have spent a few years in Chapter 11 have found a way to upgrade their first class seats twice in the same period of time LH has had these in service. At least LH makes nice scrambled eggs onboard and they have those great first class lounges in Germany once you get out of that upstairs sardine can.

Despite some pretty comfortable travel conditions, I'm happy to stay put for at least 3 weeks and not get on any plane no matter how good the seats are!

Silvertoad
                          (aka CDG 1K from FT)
                          Thanks for your comparison Silvertoad...ANA looks good...would want to try their long haul one day....well, i think after your 77w flight and then taking 744 on SQ nevertheless than you would feel that....

Your miles would probabaly be thousands on that trip!!

Comment

Excellent report. Thank-You!

One correction - the JAL skysleeper solos were done by designer Ross Lovegrove, not the person you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfox View Post
                              Excellent report. Thank-You!

One correction - the JAL skysleeper solos were done by designer Ross Lovegrove, not the person you mentioned.
                              Marc Newsome designed QF F product on A380 IIRC.
                              Not sure who designed JAL Suite product, though.

Comment

Working...
                              X