X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yotel Gatwick Airport

Yotel Gatwick
    South Terminal, London Gatwick Airport

I had to overnight in London as the flight connections didn't work out so well. It seemed a bit of a stretch to travel to Central London for a mere few hours of snooze time, and I was too knackered from Malta to pull an all night clubbing session in London.

It also seemed more sensible to head to bed early and wake up bright and early on a Sunday morning for the bus to Heathrow with minimal traffic on the roads, rather than waiting till 0200 for the next National Express service to Heathrow or pay for a cab. Thanks to the various forumers who gave me hints on this.

I've always wanted to check out a capsule hotel, so when the opportunity presented itself I booked myself into the Yotel at Gatwick Airport. Even though the bigger room was not that much more, I decided to go for the standard to get a real feel of staying in a capsule hotel. It'd be something different. And even if I'd get HH points for staying at the Hilton I did not feel comfortable paying that much for a few hours of shut-eye.

It was quite easy to find Yotel as there were signs leading all the way to the hotel. You then step into the very space-aged yet no-nonsense reception-area. The place was lit up in purple coloured lighting. You'd need either your confirmation number or your last name and time of reservation to check in.

I got a cabin with an upper bunk, which came with an ensuite bathroom. The entire set up fit my suitcase and I rather nicely, but cozily - there wasn't room for anything else. The overhead rack was too small for my suitcase and hence I had to put it on a stool. There was a fold out step to assist in getting on to the bed.

The cabin actually came with rather nice trimmings. The bed was very comfortable, there was a flat screen tv, and wifi was free.

The bathroom was pretty cramped and there was barely room to turn around. I keep reminding myself that I was paying for something basic. The showers were nice and strong. They'd ran out of dental kits, and that was when my airline amenity kits came in handy.

Overall, very good value for money for an overnight stay at an airport. Definitely a lot more luxurious than your standard capsule hotel!
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Very interesting report, KeithMEL. Seems like a very good option for overnight connections.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks for the pics and writeup, KeithMEL. Definitely worth considering over the Sofitel which is (AFAIK) the only other hotel inside LGW and (IIRC) in the £150-200 range per night.

The Yotel looks very modern and clean (not surprising given it's recently opened) but perhaps a bit too dark for me (unless it's just your camera).

How was the room in terms of noise ? Any food options, e.g. breakfast ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
        How was the room in terms of noise ? Any food options, e.g. breakfast ?
        The place was really that dark, maybe a bit brighter but not overly so.

I didn't hear a thing the entire night - so either soundproofing was good or the hotel was deserted.

Yes one is able to order food room service style through the TV.
        All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          I didn't hear a thing the entire night - so either soundproofing was good or the hotel was deserted.
          or ...
          Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          ...I was too knackered from Malta to pull an all night clubbing session in London.
          You sure the imbibing at the Do and post-Do flight didn't contribute a bit to your desensitization?
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            You sure the imbibing at the Do and post-Do flight didn't contribute a bit to your desensitization?

Comment

Thanks KeithMEL! I just booked the Yotel LHR for 4 hours tomorrow. Will see how it goes.

Comment

Thanks KeithMEL!

Do you think jhm would fit into the room and bed? It's a serious question!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                  Do you think jhm would fit into the room and bed? It's a serious question!
                  It'd be a touch too cozy I reckon - the premium cabin might be better. Why not urge him to experiment and report back?

Comment

All airports should have these kinda facility for long transits! Doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but still quite hippy and comfy.

Comment

Working...
                    X