A Special Report for A Flyer Who Will Take SQ15 SFO - ICN - SIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Special Report for A Flyer Who Will Take SQ15 SFO - ICN - SIN

Disclaimer: This report aims for giving the somewhat details about taking SQ15 for a couple who will go for their SQ round-the-world. Thus many of the pictures may have been posted before.
    I found only one trip report for SQ15 from last year by peter11. Here is the link.

San Francisco International Airport

Last week, I took SQ15 SFO-ICN-SIN. I arrived from YVR around 8:30am. and of course, SQ check-in at the International Terminal is not opened until 9:15am. Was walking around the Departure Hall, and was thinking of getting coffee or breakfast, but decided to upload my previous pics while seating near the check-in area. As you can see, some Y pax had started to make the line for check-in.

The check-in area looks like this for the premium class. (Photo was taken last year)

The agents this time look friendlier and cheerful. Last year I had encountered unsmily agents. Later on, I heard that SQ had tried to improve the check-in service agents due to the complaints from pax. The girl who checked me in was friendly. But I noticed she had a bit of problem in dealing with my booking. Fortunately, she did quickly make a decision to see her supervisor.

I had two flight coupons SFO-ICN and ICN-SIN. Since I changed the date for my ICN-SIN so that I could connect directly from SIN, SQ reservation system could not handle a split segment anymore, even after using many old tricks. The only way to do is to book SQ15 SFO-SIN but with two flight coupons which the second one needed to be uplifted at SFO.

The supervisor showed her how to deal with it. And something new to learn for her. She apologized for taking the time in checking me in as well for no gate information printed on the BP. While we were chatting a a bit, the supervisor got the call, and the gate has been assigned for SQ 15. Gate 101. She decided to reprint my BP with the new gate information.

Still the old red BP. And the BP shows correctly my LPP as well my miles that should go to BD.

She then directed me to the Silver Kris Lounge.

Note: There is no fast track for SQ premium pax. I know LH has a fast track with a red printed paper given when check-in. Fortunately, at that morning time, it was not that busy. Or perhaps because of low traffic on other airlines departing from the same sections of the International Departure (UA and NH have flights that leaves around 11am).

Pictures prior to land at SFO on UA flight from Vancouver

Again, when I decided to have a straight connect at SFO, i.e. not staying overnight, the weather in San Francisco was gorgeous. Have a full view of the Golden Gate bridge, the city, as well as the SFO airport on this morning flight from YVR.

Comment

Seats Assignment and Book The Cook

When planning to take SQ15 F, it is a 777-300ER (77W) aircraft which has new F and C seats. Right now, SQ has these registration only:
      • 9V-SWA
      • 9V-SWB
      • 9V-SWD
      • 9V-SWE
      • 9V-SWF
      • 9V-SWG
      • 9V-SWH
      • 9V-SWI
      • 9V-SWJ
      • 9V-SWK
      • 9V-SWL
      I have taken almost all registration, except SWK and SWL prior to this trip. 9V-SWA, which had engine problem end of January and had to land in FRA instead of the destination CDG, was my first ever flight on 77W. The full report was discussed here.

F RTW for 77W Inaugural

For First Class Cabin, the configuration is 2-rows with 1 - 2 - 1.
      The cabin will look like this:

1A - 1CD - 1F
      2A - 2CD - 2F

A and F are single seater by the window. C and D are the two seats together.

For additional information, my first ride on 77W in C class found here.

SQflyergirl and CGK ride the 77W again (CDG-SIN in J) - 11 Dec 2006

Hope others will find this helpful with the link to both C and F reports.

Back to planning a trip in F, for a couple you should get seats 2CD to be seated together. 1CD is a bit shorter in length of the bed, according to this travel buddy DeltaFlyingProf.
      And of course, for a single flyer, I prefer 2F for SFO-ICN. This is the same reason as I have explained long long time ago, why I would prefer to have 3F on SQ11 LAX-NRT. (Gosh, I have not done this route for a very long time. But next week will fly out from TBIT on NH6 though. ) You will see later the reason why the right hand side window is exciting. (No no no.. not for dot dot dots nor for mile high club like someone I heard about it... After all, I am just naive, shy and innocent as always. )

Now you have established where you want to seat in the front cabin. Next is what to do: BTC or Not To BTC.

BTC Planning

BTC Pictures Collection

And for the whole availability on certain SQ routes/stations, you can refer to this BTC Selection on SQ web site.

For SQ15, the selection of BTC is basically only for SFO-ICN only, since ICN doesn't offer any BTC options. For SFO-ICN segments, you will get lunch and light meal. Both has the same BTC list as shown below:

BTC Menu SFO-ICN
      • 5 oz. rib-eye steak and peppercorn sauce with grilled yellow squash, asparagus spears, baby carrots, roasted Roma tomato, and fried potatoes
      • Chicken breast stuffed with chorizo, papaya, red onion, and herbs with potato and corn hash, fresh asparagus, and baby carrots
      • Jumbo scallops in raspberry vinegar sauce with baby vegetables
      • Lobster Thermidor with buttered asparagus, slow-roasted vine-ripened tomato, and saffron rice
      • Roasted Chilean bass in creamy cider vinegar sauce with roasted tomato, parsley potato, baby carrots, and asparagus
      • Veal chop sautéed with wild mushroom, potatoes, bacon and fresh herbs, broccoli, baby carrots, zucchini, and roasted potatoes
      • Beef Bulgogi with Korean mixed vegetables and steamed rice
      • Braised quail with chestnut and Chinese sausage served with Chinese greens and noodles
      • Nigiri Sushi
      • Seafood rice noodle soup with Chinese greens
      • Steamed sole wrapped in ham served with seasonal vegetables and fried rice
      • Thai red curry chicken with broccoli, baby carrots, red bell peppers, and pineapple fried rice
      I decided to have beef bulgogi for my lunch and lobster thermidor for light meal.

Just a note, you can chnage your mind, once you are on board, whether you want to keep your BTC, or get the one from the menu. Of course, just keep it mind, depending on the load factor, most of the time it would be accomodated for this switch. Just make sure to tell the LS or LSS ahead, thus your BTC will not be heated and got ruined.

I usually try to BTC something that would be likened by the crew, since they would appreciate the meals choices they would have, especially ex-Japan. Anyhow, as an example, I did BTC rib eye steak from SIN. I usually told the crew right away that I would not eat that. Yeah, the portion is too big, even though I like meats. And so far they appreciate the beef, except once I took SIN-BKK, and was specifically ordered the BERES BTC (beef rib eye steak) for this LS. I had made my choice from the menu, duck yam rice, which the LS removed all the yams after I told him I don't like yam mixed with rice. (yeah, this PITA is a really a pita... ) Guess what? This LS was too kind. He offers the rib eye steak to another pax in the F class (only two of us), and this pax took up the offer.
      Anyway, I would do BTC laksa for example, because I do want to have them on board. If I am not sure, I will order something more substantial for the sake of the SQ Boys and Girls in mind.

Comment

Lounges at SFO

SQ has its own lounge at SFO. Silver Kris Lounge which can be found here. As a holder of *A F BP, actually one can go as well to the UA International Firstclass Lounge. But, it has been discussed in other forum as well as my own experience that when holding SQ red BP, UA IFL lounge dragon would not let you in. Some has mentioned the reasons as being SQ doesn't pay UA or has not paid UA for the prior invoice dues. Who knows. But theoretically, you can go to both lounges with your red SQ BP.

For the past couple of months, I had been to the UA IFL several times. Thus for this trip, at the beginning, I planned to stay at SKL first, then about 1130am, I would move to UA IFL since it's on the way to Gate 101. But plan is a plan. I had fun chatting away with the lounge dragons, and I decided just to stick with SKL. At least now I have given them inputs/comments for improvements. Yup. We were discussing about the lack of foods in this lounge.

After the security check, you will see duty free on the left, and there is a signage towards the right before Gucci store. If you are facing Gucci store (duty free is behind you), you will see the entrance to UA Red Carpet Club. To go to SKL, you go right before this entrance. You will see this:

Turn left, and you will see Eva Air lounge at the end of the corridor. SKL entry door will be a half way down at the left.

The lounge has the F section to the left from the entrance, and the C section to the right (with the precious Raffles signage). There are computer terminals to the right. It's a free wifi, not like UA IFL.

Comment

SKL at SFO has changed a bit compare to couple years ago. But basically it's a small one for the F section. The bathroom and the shower facilities are definitely needing an overhaul renovation. Here are some views of the lounge area.

Comment

The morning I was there, the food offerings were not that great. Similar to the C section, and the C food run out earlier. While I was there, there was only one other guest in F section who turned out later flying in C, and he was a TPP (Solitaire PPS). There were a couple with a baby later on joining us. Not so sure where they were seated once on board. But it was a bit annoying when they let the cell phone ringing all the time. That's when I decide to walk earlier to the gate.

Here are few pictures for the snacks and drinks at this lounge last week.

Comment

Some views from the lounge

Comment

Walk from the Lounge to Gate 101, the farthest gate. Pass restaurant, Tumi store, Chocolate store, news/souvenirs, UA IFL on the right, a coffee shop at the end of the satellite, and for Gate 101, take escalator down.
                Not time for boarding. So the first thing I check is this...

9V-SWK. So I just need another reg to temporarily complete the current list.

It seems, while waiting at the gate, more announcements made in Korean. Anyway, from the previous information I got, there would be 3 F pax (1A and 2A) with one LPP in 2F. C-class will have one TPP seated in 12K (yes, not full C-cabin). 12 middle was assigned for pilot rest, which I forgot to take the picture later on. There was one TPP in Y, and one QPP in Y who got seated in 31H. She was connecting from Seattle. Last from the lists were about a dozen of *G.

According to the SQ ground staff I talked to, couple days before, they had empty F cabin. Some other time only one or two. Basically, the load in F for SQ15 is up and down.

Being only three of us in F, there was no announcement at the gate for F pax to board. The announcement made was "C pax and PPS and Elite Gold can board now."

Comment

Very very nice pics thanks

Comment

that's the life i'm dreaming of

thanks for sharing the pics. awesome as ever!
                    Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      Very very nice pics thanks
                      Originally posted by florianwagner View Post
                      that's the life i'm dreaming of

thanks for sharing the pics. awesome as ever!
                      Thank you for the kind words. Will continue the story shortly. He he he...

Comment

SQ LPP, thanks for the story and pictures so far!

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                        You will see later the reason why the right hand side window is exciting. (No no no..
                        Looking forward to hearing what happens next...

Comment

Boarding

This process was one of the weaknesses in this trip. I don't remember exactly, but I may be boarded after 4 other pax. The agent who took the BP was pretty cold. Well, I am sure you know what I mean. At Changi, they would say something like "thank you for choosing SQ" or some other sentences. Here, she was quite. Rush. Abrupt. This part makes me think LAX staff are so much friendlier and nicer, as well as giving me the sense of being appreciated as SQ pax. Must be the personality of the staff makes a difference. (Well, indeed, the SKL staff, she was transferred from Manila, and she was excellent. I mean good rapport with pax. Friendly. Happy. Knowledgeable. Caring. This compare to the two girls who worked there a year ago. The same goes to Mr. J C, who has worked for 7 months as SKL staff here at SFO. He is happy and welcoming. I think SQ management made the right decision to put them at SKL.) Now back to baording gate process.

Anyway, once you passed the door, that's where you claim your duty free goods. And occasionally, there would be random checking by customs officer. It's related to the need for making a declaration when exporting cash/or other money intruments valued more than USD10,000. In my trip this time, no officer around.

Walked the jetway, and found out that only one door used. The jetway towards door 1L was roped off. Thus, we walked towards door 2L, which will lead to the main galley for the C section. Once you are at the door, to the left you will find row 1, 2, 11 and 12. To the right, you will find row 14 to the end of C class, as well as to the Y cabin.

The disadvantage of going through this door (being the only door) is no one will take you to your seat. Seemed only one cabin crew checking the BP And who knows where were the rests. Anyway, he just said to me "Welcome aboard. Please turn left." He wants me to go to the first aisle left.. all the way to door 1L and make U-turn through front, to go to my seat. I know it's shorter to just go through the galley in front of me (door 2L), and left.
                          I did just that. In the mean time the two C pax in front of me just arrived at their seats 11K and 12K. The TPP in 12K was quickly settling down. I mean he knew where to put the carry on etc. But the guy in 11K which flew in from somewhere in the US on Delta Airlines (yeah the ticket jacket gave it away) seems slower in finding where to store his rollabag.

But he noticed I was waiting and he let me go through first.

The LSS greeted me, and she took away my winter coat.

Comment

As promised writing this special trip report, my first task was to take pictures of seats 2C and 2D. And here you go.

Seat 2CD when the divider is up.

This is basically what you see when you are seated. Thus you can look each other as a couple...

The view of 2CD when standing up from seat 1F.

And here are seats 1CD

Lastly, the view from seat 2F (or 2D) of the First Class galley. The lav is on the right hand side after seat 1F. (The other lav is in front of seat 1A)

Comment

A reminder, on this 77W F cabin, there is no over head bin. So, your sole storage is the area underneath the stool in front of you. You will see the rollabag is on the floor.

The backpack was later on stored in the overhead bin in the C section. Of course these pictures are not from this trip. But to give better explanation to you.

And here is the view of seating side by side in 2CD.

For you as a couple, the seats 2CD will give sense of privacy. My travel buddy can take my picture while I was leaning back.

As you can see from the table set up, while dining, we can just exchange plate to try each other's food.
                              And I can see him sleeping as well...
                              Anyhow, since you are a couple, I must say those seats are better. Being in row 2, you will face a larger space of the cabin being 2 rows cabin, while seating in seat 1CD will give you limited space cabin.

Well, just remember something. Since you are a couple, I am sure you want to hold hands once in a while. I don't know about personal affection display for you as a couple, but seating in 2CD will give you opportunity to hold each other hand. Discreetly if you are shy, naive, and innocent like me. And here is the picture of the divider area of 2CD.

Disclaimer: He and I are travel buddies. Nothing more.

Comment

Working...
                              X