X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changi T1 to get facelift

Quoting ST website 14 Feb 2008
    Terminal 1 to get 'Tropical City' makeover

CHANGI'S grand old dame is getting a $500 million extreme makeover.
    With Terminal 3 operational and T2 just upgraded, it is time for T1 1 to get a fresh new look.

Upgrading works will start in May and take three years to complete, said the Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore, which on Thursday announced that the contract had been awarded to Takenaka Corporation.

To ensure minimal disruptions to passenger flow and airline operations, works on the 27-year-old terminal will be done in phases - as was the case when T2 underwent a $240 million upgrading.

The significantly higher bill for T1 is because of more extensive works that need to be done and the higher cost of construction now.

Areas to be upgraded include the exterior facade and the departure kerbside, as well as the arrival and departure halls.

As part of the upgrading works, services and facilities offered will also be improved and the building expanded to make space for more shops and eateries.

CAAS director-general and chief executive officer Lim Kim Choon said on Thursday: 'Many of us have fond memories of Terminal 1, which is synonymous with the birth of Changi Airport in 1981.'

He added: 'With the recently renovated Terminal 2 and newly opened Terminal 3, Terminal 1's face lift will ensure that all passengers at Changi Airport can enjoy the same exciting, vibrant and enjoyable Changi Experience.'

AT LONG LAST.... this was due like 3 years ago?

Comment

Please do not change the viewing mall. It is already small the way it is now.
      BOEING. Forever New Frontiers

Comment

and do not move it back like T3 you cant see a thing at night!

Comment

Saw the rendering at http://www.changiairport.com/Journal...en&site=changi. Not sure if I am happy that the huge "teeth" on the roof will be gone...
          Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Somehow it doesn't look modern to me. Rather different from T2 & T3's concept.
            We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

I guess the facelift is way overdue. If you walk from T3 over to T1, you can feel like you've gone from a very open and modern terminal to a very old, ancient and confined terminal building. The feeling you get when in T1, especially airside, is definitely not one that you associate with Changi...

Comment

Originally posted by otnaicus View Post
                I guess the facelift is way overdue. If you walk from T3 over to T1, you can feel like you've gone from a very open and modern terminal to a very old, ancient and confined terminal building. The feeling you get when in T1, especially airside, is definitely not one that you associate with Changi...
                Bearing in mind that 75% of the airlines uses T1.... it dont gives such a good impression of the wold best airport.... Far from it

Comment

Originally posted by IanDeYoung View Post
                  Please do not change the viewing mall. It is already small the way it is now.
                  You're SO right. They shouldn't even change the historic parts of Terminal 1 at all, since they remind us of Changi Airport's heritage. And the most peaceful place in Terminal 1 is probably the Viewing Mall at the western part, now unfortunately part of it has been blocked off. What a disappointment

Comment

From what i understand, the fountains (the one from ceiling to basement) at the Check in hall will be gone and the size of the viewing mall will be reduced to the centre section only. It will also be like T2 / T3 but possibly without the sunshades.

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                      From what i understand, the fountains (the one from ceiling to basement) at the Check in hall will be gone and the size of the viewing mall will be reduced to the centre section only. It will also be like T2 / T3 but possibly without the sunshades.
                      AAAAAAAA!!!!! That will be so unfair!!! Now the 'personality' of Terminal 1 will be gone forever...

Comment

Originally posted by SQalMundo View Post
                        AAAAAAAA!!!!! That will be so unfair!!! Now the 'personality' of Terminal 1 will be gone forever...
                        Very sad indeed. I hope they won't remove the traditional departure board as well...
                        Help make this article a better one!

Comment

here's hoping the makeover isn't too drastic, T1 does have a fair bit of "charm" IMO, it's not like you're coming into an old, slightly neglected terminal like MEL for instance, it's pretty well maintained and most of the time I can't tell the difference between T1 and T2, except for the really cool fountains... I will be sad to see them go

Comment

The first pile of the T1 upgrade has been driven in. There goes the spotter friendly viewing mall.

OT: Will any of the T1 airlines move their ops to T2? T2 is dead quiet after 9.30pm.

Comment

T1 has such a nice homely feel to it.. It would be a pity if they took that quality away..

Comment

Working...
                              X