Security Checks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security Checks

Recently, when traveling through SIN, I've been asked to do a baggage security screening (pre-immigration, in restricted area), by the person controlling access.

Does anyone know the reason for this? They check again at the gate. If they are worried about the items entering the restricted area, why don't they just shift all checkpoints to after immigration?
    zxcvbn

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
    Recently, when traveling through SIN, I've been asked to do a baggage security screening (pre-immigration, in restricted area), by the person controlling access.

Does anyone know the reason for this? They check again at the gate. If they are worried about the items entering the restricted area, why don't they just shift all checkpoints to after immigration?

Guessed that the check done pre-immigration was a check by ICA (which controls both immigration and custom). It's very seldom to have bags checked at the custom when leaving the country though.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
      Guessed that the check done pre-immigration was a check by ICA (which controls both immigration and custom). It's very seldom to have bags checked at the custom when leaving the country though.
      I don't pass through Changi as often as some of you people here, but almost everytime I do, I've been directed to this check. I've asked the officer about it, but received a "sorry, its for your safety. its a random check. when the police tell you to come here, you come here", sort of reply.

But, last week when arriving at SIN, I noticed quite a number of people queueing to get their arrival baggage X-rayed at T1. I initially thought that the queue was for all passengers, but when I bypassed it, the customs officer did not stop me (he saw me). Strange.
      zxcvbn

Comment

I don't pass through Changi as often as some of you people here, but almost everytime I do, I've been directed to this check. I've asked the officer about it, but received a "sorry, its for your safety. its a random check. when the police tell you to come here, you come here", sort of reply.
        Would you clarify the exact location please? Is this after you check-in, and before passport control (after the guy/gal who checks your BP) at the departure level?
        If this is the case, the answer is random. It happens that I had gotten that so often before, even when I entered through the First Class Check-In lounge.
        The answer from the person you asked is correct. Random.

But, last week when arriving at SIN, I noticed quite a number of people queueing to get their arrival baggage X-rayed at T1. I initially thought that the queue was for all passengers, but when I bypassed it, the customs officer did not stop me (he saw me). Strange.
        Same thing for the arrival. If the customs officer decided to do random checking, usually the bags just x-rayed. Unless they see something in the x-ray, the bags will not be opened.
        Of course, even when he saw you, if he thinks that you are okay, he would not stop you for random check. There was the time when I always got checked here everytime I went to Singapore. After I got used to this, then back to normal again. This year, I had not been stopped yet.

Comment

yes, it is after the bp check but before immigration.

thanks for the info.
          zxcvbn

Comment

I've been stopped there a couple of times... as they say, its totally random.

Whats more puzzling is security checks when arriving at SIN. Twice I've encountered it where one side of the travelators is secured (with string or tape) and security guards are standing there. We were then directed towards the arrivals area (and couldn't use the travelators), where we had our handluggage scanned. This was on flights from MNL and CGK. Is it to prevent LAG entering the airport?

Has anyone else had this?

Comment

Originally posted by super bean flicker View Post
              This was on flights from MNL and CGK. Is it to prevent LAG entering the airport?

Has anyone else had this?
              Yes, that has happened to me on a few ex-MNL flights. My guess (corroborated by the downgrading of the security rating of Philippine airlines by the US) is that the MNL security checks aren't considered thorough enough.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                My guess (corroborated by the downgrading of the security rating of Philippine airlines by the US) is that the MNL security checks aren't considered thorough enough.
                I've wondered about this - if this is the actual reason, surely the time to carry out such checks is at the originating airport itself (e.g. like El Al do; or another security check at the gate which I had at DXB before a BA flight) rather than before the plane takes off and certainly before it enters Singapore air space ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                  I've wondered about this - if this is the actual reason, surely the time to carry out such checks is at the originating airport itself (e.g. like El Al do; or another security check at the gate which I had at DXB before a BA flight) rather than before the plane takes off and certainly before it enters Singapore air space ?
                  For the first option, it would require agreement from the MNL airport authorities. I don't know what the politics of that would involve. Even then, it would involve non-Singapore ground staff, so I'm not sure a check at MNL would necessarily address the issue of lack of care among the personnel.

For the second, some of the passengers have SIN as their destination, so it might be that the check is for any item that could be carried into Singapore. It's more efficient then to check all the pax involved soon after disembarkation.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

oops, mistake in my post above... it should be that i've had these security checks at SIN when arriving from BKK & MNL, not CGK

Comment

It's not for LAG (liquid and gel). It can be any destinations, but yes, I had experienced this when arriving from BKK, CGK, and DPS, as well as once or twice from long haul. As far as I know, the purpose of the security checks after this disembarkation is for searching illegal drugs.

Comment

Working...
                      X