Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this? From HKIA

Hi,

Found this sticker on the luggage that I checked in at HKIA. However, this sticker was not found on other bags that was checked in town. Anybody got any idea wat this is?

Last edited by slacker; 13 February 2008, 02:46 PM. Reason: To insert my image

Comment

Well, it probably just means you checked in at HKIA thats all. As simple as that.
      We put labels on people and fight wars over them. If we truly want harmony, we have to get past the labels.

Comment

Hmm.. But wat's the big deal if I check in online or if I check in downtown to warrant such a sticker?

Further scrutinizing the sticker, found some circuit board-like lines at the back of the sticker and a small chip embedded in the middle of it. Looks quite cool and high-tech.
        Last edited by slacker; 13 February 2008, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I think it is a checked bag security check label for passengers travelling out from HKG (HKIA).
          I have received those on my bags even when checked in using the In Town Check In.
          Last edited by StarG; 13 February 2008, 06:00 PM. Reason: Clarified

Comment

In fact, that's an RFID sticker. There is a chip inside every sticker. Presently,there will be one of them stuck on all baggages departing from or arriving at HKG when they arrive at the basement. Recently,the Airport Authority announced that they'll enhance the efficiency of the system by installing RFID equipments at all check in counters.

More info:http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/pr/pr_914.html

Comment

true what CXflyer said. It is a RFID tag.

I didn't know that HKG still stuck stickers on, because everytime I fly out, it is stuck on my baggage tag (just peel sticker all the way off to reveal the same circuits)
              zxcvbn

Comment

I seem to remember reading about privacy concerns with theese RFID tags which can be read at a distance and what sort of data will be held on them, e.g. imagine a scenario where you push your bags past someone with a reader who grabs your name, passport number etc.

New EU and (I believe) US passports have RFID chips built-in.

Comment

the sticker is actually part of HKIA security system... it is to identify your bags so it will be easier to trace if there is some kind of thread... FYI the sticker cabin crew is orange and VIP is green

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                    I seem to remember reading about privacy concerns with theese RFID tags which can be read at a distance and what sort of data will be held on them, e.g. imagine a scenario where you push your bags past someone with a reader who grabs your name, passport number etc.
                    LHR is going to be testing them as well (I think EK are the first airlines that will feature them). From a CNN report last night, the tags would have the passenger name and routing embedded in them, and supposedly will raise the first-read rate from something like 70% to over 90%.

Would EU privacy laws allow passport details to be on the tags? That seems like overkill. It's not as though passport details allow the bags to be traced more promptly or routed correctly.
                    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
                    X