Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starwood hotel reviews - Rome

Hotel Eden, post #2
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 January 2008, 06:29 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Hotel Eden Rome, a Royal Meridien Hotel
    Via Ludovisi 49, Rome

I arrived at the hotel at the ungodly hour of 1.30am (oh and yes my luggage had survived LHR yet again!), but the night porter and check in staff appeared to be on high alert for my arrival unlike some other hotels which almost literally shut down at night. The porter sprang out to help me with my luggage, and both staff members immediately identified me as I was the only person yet to check in for the night.

The facade of the hotel and its lobby were simply gorgeous. It has the feel of a cozy and intimate boutique hotel, rather than a huge and impersonal establishment like the Westin around the corner seemed to be.

The hotel is situated diagonally opposite Villa Ludovisi

The hotel is both a Royal Meridien, as well as a member of Leading Hotels of the World. It seemed more keen to tout its latter credentials for some reason, as apart from the tiny 'a Royal Meridien Hotel' fonts in the most discrete of places and the SPG brochures I would be none the wiser that the hotel is indeed a Starwood property if I hadn't booked my room via spg.com.

I'd booked the cheapest Superior Room category they had on offer. As a Platinum I received an upgrade to the Studio Room (their junior suite) on the first floor, but I also had a choice to switch to the smaller Deluxe Room on the 5th floor with 2 balconies and a view of Villa Ludovisi. I wasn't about to trade away size for a view of some big mansion and hence elected to stay with my Studio Room. I then had a choice of my PLT amenities; I'd gone for the 500 Starpoints again even if the wine looked tempting.

Upon learning that I'd had a very long day due to Heathrow delays I was offered some snacks and nightcaps on the house! I arrived at my room to find a big box of chocolates and a nice welcome note from the manager, in addition to the mini chocolate box placed on my pillow during the turndown service. The promised snacks and nightcaps duly arrived - cheese, crackers, gin, tonic water, and a half bottle of Perrier Jouet Grand Brut. Impressive!

That would just about set the tone of the service for the rest of the stay. Every member of staff were super friendly and helpful. I was referred to by name throughout my stay. I find concierges at hotels invaluable and the Eden had concierges with a remarkable level of local knowledge. We even had a Rome 'eating plan' drawn up for me to ensure that I'd checked out the best restaurants in town - alas I don't remember their names, being in a foreign language, or I'd have gone to update the SQTalk Eating Guide thread.

I'd chosen this hotel over the Westin or the St Regis because its decor seemed the least 'Old Europe' as not only do I find 'old' decors cold and uninviting, but they make for a most uneasy night's sleep. And I was glad the pictures on the website are quite accurate. The hotel manages to toe the fine line between 'Old Europe', with antique furniture all over the place and random pieces of art, and subtlety. I had a rather cute room with a massive PINK marble bathroom with separate showers and bath - it truly was marbled everywhere but for the toilet bowl and boudoir. The rest of the room was also rather spacious for an European hotel room with a small sitting area, and the wall behind my bed was painted in artwork. There was also a nice and spacious walk-in closet. The beds were fairly comfy, although I would have liked thicker quilts.

Nice Penhalingon's and Hermes' amenities

Turndown service at this hotel was pretty good - I had a new mini box of chocolates everyday, a note advising of the temperature of the next day, my clothes were hung up, used towels replaced. I was also bemused to note that they'd actually changed the chair at the writing table every so often - it alternated between a velvet red and brown chair and one with green fabric and golden arm rests.

The staff were quite eager for me to check out the restaurant and bar on the 6th floor which offered a great view of Rome. Unfortunately it all looked rather snooty and I wasn't comfortable with the extreme level of formality when I walked in, and I left after a brief walk through. I was surprised they offered me a seat and the menu, and were actually quite eager for me to eat there instead of chucking me out as I was clad in jeans.

The hotel is located in a great neighbourhood just off Via Veneto. It was close enough to Via Veneto and all that stuff (including a metro station) at Piazza Barberini to be convenient, yet tucked well into a nice and quiet area. There were some great coffee houses and restaurants in the immediate vicinity - not more than a 2 minute walk.

Overall, a rather beautiful hotel with amazing service and a great location - one that I'd have no hesitation returning to or recommending to anyone else.
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 26 January 2008, 06:37 PM.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Changing your desk chair for a new one every day is seriously weird!

Comment

Frescoes are so Italian and romantic!

I always think of Juliette Binoche and the English Patient when I see one.

Just occured to me, any painting on the ceiling too?

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
          I don't recall any. I thought the fresco was quite enough though.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
            If you want ceiling pictures, stay at The Hotel in Luzern (though you'll get stills from well-known films [I assume], not paintings).

You didn't mind the un-W decor, KeithMEL?
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              You didn't mind the un-W decor, KeithMEL?
              It actually grew on me after a few days. And like I said that was the least Old Europe SPG I can find, ie the least un-W out of the 3 properties in central ROM. So even though it was un-W, it was very nice for an un-W. That said I am getting weary of the whole Old Europe thing and am looking forward to the LM Barcelona which is a pretty sleek Art + Tech according to the website pictures.

The Hotel Pulitzer in Amsterdam on the other hand... More on that later in another thread.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                cheese, crackers, gin, tonic water, and a half bottle of Perrier Jouet Grand Brut. Impressive!
                Quite the nice nightcap!
                HUGE AL

Comment

Working...
                X