A quick hop on Royal Jordanian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A quick hop on Royal Jordanian

Normally to go from Jerusalem where I live to Amman I would go by road and cross the border at the Allenby bridge as it is much cheaper and quicker than flying. However the bridge is only open in the mornings and as I had to return in the evening I had no choice but to fly.

Royal Jordanian flies several times a day from TLV-AMM using EMB195 (If I remember correctly but I really am not a plane buff).

Sorry for the lack of photos but Israel really does not like you taking photos at its airports or on a plane over its territory. Anyway there will be a few of Amman later on.

As per usual I arrived at TLV about three hours before departure time, I have described the security procedures at TLV in a previous trip report http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067 so I will not repeat them here as they have not changed. It took me two hours this time to get through security, check in and immigration. A good 20 minutes of that was check in as they could not get my BA frequent flyer number into the RJ system (RJ are now part of oneworld). So I will have to send my ticket off to BA now to get the miles credited to my account (not that for such a short flight there will be very many).

They did give me an invitation to the Dan lounge as a Oneworld Saphire. The Dan lounges are run by the airport I think and all airlines use them. The lounge today was vey quiet. It has a limited selection of food and drink but it does have free wifi (as does the whole airport) and also a good view over the apron. Normally they announce flights but I suddenly realised that it was almost departure time and although they had not announced the flight I was the only person left in the lounge so I thought I had better head to the gate. However when I go there the incoming plane had not even arrived. I decided to just sit in the departure area and wait about 5 minutes later the plane showed up and about 10 minutes after that we started boarding.

The plane is very new and nice inside, I think this is the first time I have flown on an EMB. The seats are leather and a nice light grey they are also very comfortable. In Y the EMB is in a 2x2 configuration and in J it is 1x2. I am in 7J the window seat of the first row of economy seats. The overhead bins however are very small and there is quite a challenge to fit everyones handluggage into them. Just before takeoff the FAs who wear a very bright red uniform (very similiar to OS) with very 60's style knee high boots came round with a little carton of orange juice. We had a long taxi to the runway but we soon on our way to AMM. Well actually it seemed like we were on our way to Cyprus as we took off in a westerly direction and were well out to sea before turning and heading inland. The views we fabulous looking over the Joran Valley and the dead sea. The flight is only 20 minutes so they do not even turn off the seat belt sign or the no electronic sign (they have instead of the no smoking sign). So in no time at all we were landing at Amm. It has to be said that AMM is not one of the great aiports of the world but it does seem to work OK. On arrival if you do not have a visa you need to go to a visa desk and get a visa on arrival (I think it costs about $20), I had poped down to their embassy in Ramallah earlier in the week to get a visa (as I had planned to use Allenby bridge and that is the only entrance into Jordan where you can not get a visa on arrival) so I coud go straight to immigration. There was no queue there and the immigration guy quickly stamped my passport and wished me a nice stay in Jordan. I had no checked luggage so was straight out and the taxi work had sent to meet me was soon wisking me into Amman which is about a 45 minutes drive from the airport.

A few photos of Amman

The main sight in Amman is the old Roman Ampitheatre

Just to prove I did climb to the top

A couple of views over looking Amman

The old royal palace

I was staying in the Dana Plaza Hotel. About the only good thing I could say about it was that it was close to the Four Seasons Hotel so I went there for tea one afternoon. Nice flower display in the lobby.

And finally the compulsory food shot, a traditional Arabic Mezze

Comment

The Return Leg

I arrived at AMM about two hours before departure. Before check in you have to have your bags scanned and go through a metal detector. Luckily there was no queue (last time I left AMM it took over an hour to get through). However there was a lengthy queue for check in but in fact it moved quickly and after about 15 minutes I was at a check in desk. However I was not being check in. They had over sold the flight and there were no more seats in economy left. There were some seats in Business but they could not allocate one of those to me until the flight closed in an hours time. I tried to argue that as I was here now and there were seats available they could just give me one of those but he was having none of it. I decided not to push it as I did not want to get on the wrong side of him and find myself bumped off the flight all together. So off I went and sat down and waited. One thing I have learnt from travelling about in this region is always carry a good book with you as you never know when you are going to be faced with a long wait. They had obviously over sold a lot of flights this evening and I could see the staff madly trying to sort it all out. There were 5 of us waiting to see if we could get on the TLV flight and then the rumour hit us that there were only three seats available. We started eyeing each other up and trying to work out who were going to be the lucky three and who were going to have another night in Amman. It turned out the other four all worked for Delta and had been here checking out facilities in Amman before Delta starts flying there later in the year. I was thinkging this is not good for mr. However it turns out that frequent flyer status does beat being in the same industry. The check in agent came over to us and gave me my ticket and said to the other four "he is a frequent flyer so has to have priority so I'm afriad you have to pick which two of you will go on this flight".

I took my ticket and had a look seat 1J yes it was an op-up. Unfortunately by this time there was no time to go to the lounge and I had to head straight to the gate as they were announcing that the gate was about to close. I went through security and straight onto the plane. The business class seats are very comfortable, pitch is not great but for a short hop like this fine. Before take off were offered a choice of Orange, apple or mango juice in a proper glass and a selection of biscuits. I found myself sitting next to one of the Delta staff. He turned out to be a pilot and we spent the whole flight discussing what it is like being a pilot.

Before long we were landing in TLV. It is quite a walk from the gates to immigration but I was the first one off the plane and no other planes had landed just befor us so the immigration hall was completed empty when I got there. The avantage of now having a work permit for Israel is that I no longer get questioned about what I am doing there (I guess if you have a work permit it is obvious) they just make a quick call to make sure my permit is valid and it is straight through. Again no checked luggage so I was very quickly on my way home.

Comment

Another great exotic report!
        Love the view of Amphitheater and the city view.
        Foodwise, I am so conservative. I don't think I like those food on the table.
        And again, congratulations for the op-up!

Comment

Thanks for yet another extraordinary TR, Lobster.
          Great pics as well.

Comment

Excellent TR and great pictures of the city.
            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Great pics!
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ LPP View Post
                Foodwise, I am so conservative. I don't think I like those food on the table.
                It is a shame I forgot to take photos of the main course as that is where it got more exotic. Dishes included brains and grilled testicles. Personally I must admit I preferred the lamb chops.

Comment

Excellent report as ever Lobster - really interesting and great pics of the ampitheatre

Oh, and congrats on the op-up!

Comment

Awesome pictures, Lobster! You do get to go to such exotic locations, I'm envious.

I think it might be more difficult to make one's way down the amphitheatre than going up. The last sector seems rather steep!
                    Last edited by phaleesy; 26 January 2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: Arabic mezze does have meat. Missed one post.

Comment

Very interesting.

I like Jordan - it's a shame they have no oil.

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                        Awesome pictures, Lobster! You do get to go to such exotic locations, I'm envious.
                        I don't know about now but I was told that RJ did/do some competitive fares to SEA, i.e. LHR-AMM-BKK. As Lobster mentions, they're part of OW now as well.

Comment

Although Phaleesy you have edited the question out I will answer it anyway.

Mezze tend to be mostly vegitarian but sometimes you do get some meat dishes.

Although no two restaurants will do identical mezze the standard dishes are

Hummus (Chickpeas)
                          Babaghanoush (aubergine)
                          Tabbouleh (parsley and tomato)
                          Labneh (Cheese)
                          Shankleesh (Cheese)
                          Fattoush (Salad)
                          Muhannara (peppers - hot)

the most common meat dish is Kibbeh which is minced meat in a bulgar wheat shell.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            I don't know about now but I was told that RJ did/do some competitive fares to SEA, i.e. LHR-AMM-BKK. As Lobster mentions, they're part of OW now as well.
                            They had big signs up in AMM about their new service to HKG.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                              Thanks for yet another extraordinary TR, Lobster.
                              Great pics as well.
                              What StarG said! Thank you for sharing with us!

Comment

Working...
                              X