• Show
Clear All

• SQ221 A380 5th Jan 2008

To: Sydney Kingsford-Smith (SYD)
    Scheduled flight time: 7hrs 30 mins
    Distance: 3911 miles
    Frequent flyer miles accrued: 5867
    Seat:17K

Having performed OLCI 48hrs prior to my flight I arrived and checked-in early at Changi for flight SQ221. I was looking forward immensely to my flight. Flying from my favourite airport on my favourite airline can only mean one thing; sheer bliss. The check-in agent was super-efficient and checked my bag through to my final destination, MEL. I was even given an SQ boarding pass for my QF flight which looked a bit strange. I specifically chose flight QF74 which departs from the Int'l T1 at SYD to save myself the trek from Int'l to Domestic terminals at SYD, and having to reclaim and re-check my bag again. Plus the timing couldn't have been better.

After going airside I made my way to the sanctuary of the Silver Kris C lounge, which was busy as usual. As I was hungry I decided have to a small dinner of duck and fried rice with some delicious char sui pork. And fresh fruit, of course. Not bad I thought. I do like duck and the meat was nice and tender. Yum!

Just before 8pm I left the lounge, suitably refreshed after a nice shower, and made my way to Gate F31.

At this point I was getting quite excited. I wanted to see for myself what all the fuss was about. Upon entering the aircraft I was welcomed aboard and a flight attendant helped me stow away my cabin luggage. Then I began snapping away with my camera. My seat, the window, the cabin, etc. I took lots of pictures. A member of the cabin crew even asked me if I wanted my photo taken. I had to refuse as I'm very camera-shy. I just explained to her that I was taking photos to do a trip report.

Once the doors were closed we pushed back and took off, slightly behind schedule. I decided to pass on the dinner service as I wasn't hungry and I really can't sleep on a full stomach anyway. I usually prefer the last flight from SIN, SQ232, so I can maximise my sleep. I wasn't going to eat anything at all but after perusing the menu I requested dessert which was a delicious chocolate truffle ice-cream with bitter chocolate sauce and cookies together with a selection of fresh fruit.

The dinner menu had four choices for the main course, three of which were western. I was glad I ate in the lounge as I didn't fancy any of them. I did check the Book the Cook menu beforehand but couldn't make up my mind so passed on that.

After dessert I checked out KrisWorld and was suitably impressed. Awesome. Then I checked out the rest of the plane. Fabulous I thought. And the toilets are great!
    Last edited by UK flyer; 24 January 2008, 04:48 AM.
    My SQ A380 photos

My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Returning back to my seat I decided I needed to sleep so I asked a flight attendant to show me how to convert my seat into a bed. The dinner service had not yet finished but she kindly offered to do this for me so I went and changed into my pyjamas and brushed my teeth.

I had a few hours sleep but I did wake up during the night so I wandered off to the self-service bar and helped myself to some chocolate truffles. Actually I had quite a few because they were so delicious. As I couldn't get back to sleep I played around on KrisWorld until breakfast was served. I only had the fresh fruit as the pastries were only for photo purposes.

We landed at about 07:20 and I made my way to the Qantas First lounge in the Int'l departure lounge (thanks to a FlyerTalker on the QF board for helping me in) to freshen up and await my onward flight to MEL. A thoroughly excellent flight onboard SQ221 and the cabin crew were wonderful as usual.

My SQ A380 photos

Comment

Fab trip report, UK Flyer. I'm so envious.

Thanks for sharing.

P.S. Hmmm, the QF Lounge food looks quite nice.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Fantastic pics UK flyer many thanks! mrs nickbot and I are sitting here reading your report whilst turning green with envy,....some day we'll hopefully fly C on A380

Comment

what more can you ask for .... great report and lovely pictures, mate. i hope i'll be experiencing the romance of travel as you did (when i earn enough money to buy c class seats haha)
            Home is where your heart is.

Comment

What a wonderful trip report UK flyer. Thanks for sharing with us.

KUDOS!

Comment

Originally posted by UK flyer View Post
                I was even given an SQ boarding pass for my QF flight which looked a bit strange. I specifically chose flight QF74 which departs from the Int'l T1 at SYD to save myself the trek from Int'l to Domestic terminals at SYD, and having to reclaim and re-check my bag again. Plus the timing couldn't have been better.
                Another option for the *A miles junkie to get to MEL as opposed to QF74 is UA839, which I slighly prefer as I don't have to schlep over the the QF wing at SYD.

I usually prefer the last flight from SIN, SQ232
                SQ231's the last flight from SIN (or first flight depending on how you look at it) , but as I too go to MEL, SQ231 won't connect properly to QF74 or UA839.

Thanks for sharing though. I can still see my butt imprint on your 17K seat

Comment

Thanks for sharing the report! Hope you have great times down under! And perhaps another A380 on the way back?
                  Cheers...

Comment

Great trip report, UK flyer.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Thanks for all the comments guys. I hope you all enjoyed my pics. Back home now, sadly didn't get a chance to fly again on her. Had a wonderful 12 days down under.

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                      Another option for the *A miles junkie to get to MEL as opposed to QF74 is UA839, which I slighly prefer as I don't have to schlep over the the QF wing at SYD.
                      I didn't know you could do that. I wasn't aware you could fly on UA839 only from SYD-MEL.
                      Last edited by UK flyer; 24 January 2008, 07:03 PM.
                      My SQ A380 photos

Comment

I didn't know you could do that. I wasn't aware you could fly on UA839 only from SYD-MEL.
                        Yes you can, provided you're connecting from an international flight. UA has no traffic rights for a pure SYD-MEL-SYD.

See here -------

http://www.sqtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2476

You can also do it on UA840 coming back, but again, only if you're connecting to another international flight

Comment

Thanks for the tip SQflyergirl. Usually I fly straight into MEL on SQ but that's good to know for future reference.

My QF74 flight was delayed by about 2 hrs after we aborted take-off. A warning light for one of the engines (those QF B747s are so ancient!) came on just as we were pushing back on the runway and we had to abort and have the aircraft checked out. Should have flown on the UA839 if I'd known it was possible to do that.
                          My SQ A380 photos

Comment

You can also do the UA SYD-MEL-SYD shuttle if you have a UA ticket in and out of Australia, even if you stopover.

Thanks for the most interesting TR.
                            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Working...
                            X