London - Zurich options: LCY vs LHR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London - Zurich options: LCY vs LHR

I have to fly from London to Zurich next month. Will be in Y for the short flight, and my corp TA has booked me LHR-ZRH on an LX A321.

I just noticed that LX also flies the ARJ from LCY-ZRH. Any recommendations on whether I should switch to the LCY flight? Are the Y seats much different? What about transportation options getting to LCY from the West End on a weekday morning - am I better off just taking the Heathrow Express or a private minicab? Which is better from the check-in, immigration and security angle, with *G status?

Many thanks.

I prefer LCY to LHR T2 because it's a much more sane departure experience, despite being more barebones: almost no line at checkin; as *G you're given a voucher which you can use as a credit (GBP 5, IIRC) against what you buy in the small landside restaurant (located one level up, just before you enter the security area); and the security check is much faster.

After security you won't have a *G lounge; instead you'll sit in the (small) general departure area and wait for a gate assignment for your flight. (The LH FTL lounge at T2, to which you'll have access at LHR, is really nothing much, so I think your opportunity cost is low.)

If you'll have luggage other than your laptop bag, you'll have to check it as the space in the cabin is much more constrained. I feel the seats have less legspace as well, but it's only a short flight. No dutyfree service, too, because of less storage space onboard.

Arriving back in London, LCY also offers a better experience IMO. The arriving crowd is smaller (there's one lane allocated to non-EU passport holders, but that's enough to keep the line moving along), and the bags come out before or just after you get through immigration.

Overall, I recommend LCY over LHR. You'll need a cab to reach the airport. Allow yourself between thirty to forty minutes to get there from the West End.
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Actually, if you like sitting in airplanes, LCY will be a nice experience. On approach, they have a 5.5 degree glideslope (vs 3 normally) don't know if it feels particularly different, I can't say for sure.

Takeoffs are NICE. See this video I shot a while back of a take from aboard an LX Avro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqGa3ex5_Qg

Notice how the pilot stands on the brakes, spools up the engines and then lets go - it shoots forward a bit like a catapult. I hear that's SOP at LCY due to the short runway.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers. Will def look into switching to the LCY flight.

Alas I won't have the opportunity to land at LCY this time as I fly home direct ZRH-SIN.

Comment

One more thing: you won't have aerobridges at LCY or ZRH. I have colleagues who get annoyed by the walk up the stairs to the plane and down again at arrival.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
            One more thing: you won't have aerobridges at LCY or ZRH. I have colleagues who get annoyed by the walk up the stairs to the plane and down again at arrival.

So maybe I stick with LHR after all...

Will drop you a PM closer to the date to see if you're around.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
              Notice how the pilot stands on the brakes, spools up the engines and then lets go - it shoots forward a bit like a catapult. I hear that's SOP at LCY due to the short runway.
              Ah, a full power take-ff. Love 'em. Had a few interesting ones on puddle jumpers in the Caribbean !!.

I would definitely go for LCY, it's such a far better experience than LHR (which I hate) in all ways imho. Not quite sure why you would need to get a taxi there as the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) now runs right to the airport and is the way I usually get too and from LCY.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                I would definitely go for LCY, it's such a far better experience than LHR (which I hate) in all ways imho. Not quite sure why you would need to get a taxi there as the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) now runs right to the airport and is the way I usually get too and from LCY.
                The DLR isn't convenient for me, coming from South Kensington if I come from the office or Russell Square if I travel from home. Particularly when cab costs are expensable.
                Last edited by jjpb3; 27 January 2008, 03:59 AM.

Comment

The DLR isn't convenient for me, coming from South Kensington if I come from the office or Russell Square if I travel from home. Particularly when cab costs are expensable.
                  I walk from Russell Sq to Holborn. Central line to Bank. DLR from there. Total journey is less than 45 mins. Airport is next to the station. Convenient!

Comment

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                    I walk from Russell Sq to Holborn. Central line to Bank. DLR from there. Total journey is less than 45 mins. Airport is next to the station. Convenient!
                    ... but only if you're travelling light!

Comment

Do you do that walk from Russell Square with a laptop bag full of documents and sometimes a rollaboard for an overnight trip? How long is the walk beneath Holborn and Bank stations; any stairs?

Comment

Do you do that walk from Russell Square with a laptop bag full of documents and sometimes a rollaboard for an overnight trip? How long is the walk beneath Bank station?
                        Yes, I did. My usual rucksack (camera etc) and another bag. I can't remember how long the walk is in Bank. However, I must admit a rollaboard is rather difficult to travel with. Backpacks and shoulder bags are so much easier to travel with. Remember our chat about Reddox (spelling?) bags?

Comment

Backpacks and shoulder bags are so much easier to travel with.
                          Probably. But if you're heading directly to a meeting to give advice on how a client should run his or her business, a backpack generally doesn't do much for the impression you create. I've yet to see a man in a suit pull off the backpack look.

Different bags -- and travelling requirements -- for different occasions.
                          Last edited by jjpb3; 27 January 2008, 06:38 AM.

Comment

I've yet to see a man in a suit pull off the backpack look.
                            Well if anyone can it would be you

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                              Well if anyone can it would be you
                              Yes, agreed! Some people are stylish and suave no matter what they wear and jjpb3 is definitely one of them. Perhaps he could start a trend amongst the men here?

Comment

Working...
                              X