Which window side to get a view of Hong Kong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which window side to get a view of Hong Kong

Will be flying on SQ to HKG during the Chinese New Year period, and am selecting the seats for my flight. I will want window seats that give a good view of Hong Kong.

I am unsure whether to take up seats on the left or right hand side of the plane. Which side will give a more scenic view during approach? Wat about during take off?

Also, I welcome replies on any tips/advice/comments about Hong Kong.

Thank you.

Originally posted by slacker View Post
    Will be flying on SQ to HKG during the Chinese New Year period, and am selecting the seats for my flight. I will want window seats that give a good view of Hong Kong.

I am unsure whether to take up seats on the left or right hand side of the plane. Which side will give a more scenic view during approach? Wat about during take off?

Also, I welcome replies on any tips/advice/comments about Hong Kong.

Thank you.
    depending on which route ** aircraft takes into hong kong. if you're lucky, u'll fly over victoria harbour, in which case, any window seat will do as both sides are equally beautiful..

however, in most cases i think the aircraft will try to avoid flying this route as it means that the plane has to go fly over many high rise buildings.

flying into hk from singapore, most times i figured that the plane takes a west heading quite abit south of HK, and turns back east to line up with the runway, so i think the right seats would be better
    zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by zxcvbn View Post
      depending on which route ** aircraft takes into hong kong. if you're lucky, u'll fly over victoria harbour, in which case, any window seat will do as both sides are equally beautiful..

however, in most cases i think the aircraft will try to avoid flying this route as it means that the plane has to go fly over many high rise buildings.

flying into hk from singapore, most times i figured that the plane takes a west heading quite abit south of HK, and turns back east to line up with the runway, so i think the right seats would be better
      Hi,

Thanks a lot for tat info.

I had always thought that the approach path will be dependent on the direction of the runway. Just like in SIN, when 02L/02C is used instead of 20R/20C, seats on the left hand side would have a good view of the Singapore city's skyline (as experienced in my prev 2 flights).

What about during take off in HKG? During this period, in what direction does the plane land or take off? Bcoz of the above reason, would prefer the left side for my return flight. However, I would not mind to swap to the right hand side if it offers a much better view during take off in HKG.

It will indeed be nice if the plane fly over the harbour. Hope I'll be lucky on that day.

Comment

i think there is another approach path as well, which is flying north over the hills, and then turning west to line up with either runway (both heading 07/25).

i dont know much about take off, so cant help u there.

but HKG is always almost in the clouds, so i dont really see much till the actual touchdown.
        hope the skies will clear for u =)
        zxcvbn

Comment

For future reference:

Departures

When departing off runway 07R:
          Singapore-bound flights normally follow the runway heading out until just before the Lantau Link bridge, then do a 100-degree right turn out towards the ocean. Before the turn the RHS is good for views of the Lantau Link up to the bridge, and if you look more forward you could see the western sides of HK Island and Kowloon. After the turn, LHS is good for views of the western sides of Kowloon (from Olympic southwards) and HK Island (Kennedy Town down to Admiralty / Ap Le Chau).

When departing off runway 25L:
          Singapore-bound flights normally follow the runway heading out for about 7 nautical miles before doing a 70 degree left turn, followed by a few other small turns. The LHS will have views of Lantau before this first turn, then both sides of outlying islands thereafter.

Arrivals

As said above, arrivals are variable, as quite often ATC will vector arriving aircraft for sequencing.

When arriving on runway 07L:
          Generally you will only see the outlying islands (both sides), then Lantau Island on the RHS when on final. If you're lucky and get the full standard approach, then the RHS will also get views of the south-western part of HK Island, followed by Lantau Island for the full circuit.

When arriving on runway 25R:
          Normally the final approach fix is located over northern Sha Tin, so the LHS is best for views. You should see everything from the New Territories (Sha Tin) down to Victoria Harbour. After this, the LHS can also follow the Lantau Link bridge / expressway and neigbouring residential areas right to touchdown.

NB - How far you can actually see depends on the amount of pollution and cloud cover on the day. Some days visibility is over 5 miles, but other days it can be difficult even seeing Tsim Sha Tsui clearly when standing at Central...

Comment

Excellent description.

FWIW, my SQ 002 departures for SFO from Runway 07R have followed the same route out to the sea as described above, making the LHS the best for the full-on view of Victoria Harbour.

I've arrived several times on SQ and CX and EK from SIN and BKK on to Runway 25R after approaching from the south, basically flying right over the top of HK Island and Victoria Harbour. I had a very nice view from the RHS on all flights, but I think the LHS would have had an even better view.

Comment

Of course nothing IMHO compares to the views with the old Kai Tak landings , e.g. videos like this on Youtube:

CLICK "I AGREE" TO WATCH THE VIDEO

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
              No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later.
              I AGREE

Comment

i dont really care because all you see is sea before you land (and that isthe only time you see tera firma)

Comment

Originally posted by A350 View Post
                  i dont really care because all you see is sea before you land (and that isthe only time you see tera firma)
                  That's absurd. On landing and on takeoff you can see lots of Hong Kong, including Victoria Harbour. That's what people in this thread are describing. Plus, on certain approaches, such as one SQ 001 sometimes follows, you can get a fine view of Macau.

Comment

That's absurd. On landing and on takeoff you can see lots of Hong Kong, including Victoria Harbour. That's what people in this thread are describing. Plus, on certain approaches, such as one SQ 001 sometimes follows, you can get a fine view of Macau.
                    Actually, I findA350 right. On rare occasions I see Victoria Harbour/Macau etc. on approach. 9/10 times I see the ocean till the runway itself. Of course, it may just be my luck, or I just don't look out at the right times
                    zxcvbn

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                      Hi,

Thanks a lot for tat info.

I had always thought that the approach path will be dependent on the direction of the runway. Just like in SIN, when 02L/02C is used instead of 20R/20C, seats on the left hand side would have a good view of the Singapore city's skyline (as experienced in my prev 2 flights).

What about during take off in HKG? During this period, in what direction does the plane land or take off? Bcoz of the above reason, would prefer the left side for my return flight. However, I would not mind to swap to the right hand side if it offers a much better view during take off in HKG.

It will indeed be nice if the plane fly over the harbour. Hope I'll be lucky on that day.

Frankly,i am not too good for the best seats for view as normally i would be like you too...gambling on the landing approach which has the best view... so far, The landing approach by SQ into are the mountains area whereby HKIA would be on the right hand side - nearer to SQ arrival gate.....

Sorry, couldn't help u much! I will post for you the exact landing approach as i will be on 2A on SQ 862 (77w) on July 17th....anyone which will be on the flight then?

Cheers!!

Comment

Working...
                      X