Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about flying on Star Alliance airlines

Hello!

End of the year, I'll be doing a LHR-CDG on BMI, before continuing on CDG-FRA-SIN (on LH), and then SIN-KUL (on SQ). Was just wondering if it is possible to check in my bags all the way to KUL from LHR? Just a thought!

If it's not possible, I'll probably not check in any bags. In case they are delays...

I am afraid there's no way with BMI since they have gone modular.

...but it never harm if you try to ask nicely.

Comment

It might be possible if your BD flight is on the same ticket as the others.
      But IIRC, you're on the ex-CDG LH mistake fare, and bought BD tickets seperately?
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

BD will only do it if it's on one ticket - otherwise you pick up the bags in CDG.

Comment

Yes Keith, you are right. The ex- LH tix is the mistake fare I bought months ago. I guess I'll just won't check in any bags, and travel light. Just in case there are delays. Or am I just paranoid??

This is my current itinerary:

BD LHR-CDG / Dep 1050 Arrive 1305
          LH CDG-FRA-SIN / Dep 1930 Arrive 1700 (+1)
          SQ SIN-KUL / Dep 2000

Also, if I didn't check in any baggages, would that mean I won't be required to go through immigration?
          Last edited by quik!; 4 December 2006, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
            Yes Keith, you are right. The ex- LH tix is the mistake fare I bought months ago. I guess I'll just won't check in any bags, and travel light. Just in case there are delays. Or am I just paranoid??

This is my current itinerary:

BD LHR-CDG / Dep 1050 Arrive 1305
            LH CDG-FRA-SIN / Dep 1930 Arrive 1700 (+1)
            SQ SIN-KUL / Dep 2000

Also, if I didn't check in any baggages, would that mean I won't be required to go through immigration?

You'll have to travel VERY light - it's one hand baggage piece ex the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by shortfinals View Post
              You'll have to travel VERY light - it's one hand baggage piece ex the UK.
              Very inconvenient for a business traveller whose laptop can't be checked.

But it can be convenient for the leisure traveller, because it isn't weight-qualified. It's only the size that matters.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

In fairness they seem to have calmed down on the actual cabin bagge size. I went to AMS via LGW on BA a couple of weeks ago and I took the same decent size hand luggage I used before the August chaos started. Nobody challenged or mentioned it once.

The only problem I had was AMS-LGW when I was the last to board (for a change..) and there was no overhead bin space at all. The crew were telling me I was going to have to check it, which I refused and after stalking up and down the aircraft managed to find a small bit of space down the back. Bit of a pain when you're in row 1 but better than checking it.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer
                  The only problem I had was AMS-LGW when I was the last to board (for a change..) and there was no overhead bin space at all. The crew were telling me I was going to have to check it, which I refused and after stalking up and down the aircraft managed to find a small bit of space down the back. Bit of a pain when you're in row 1 but better than checking it.
                  That'll teach you for boarding last.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                    In fairness they seem to have calmed down on the actual cabin bagge size. I went to AMS via LGW on BA a couple of weeks ago and I took the same decent size hand luggage I used before the August chaos started. Nobody challenged or mentioned it once.
                    Yes the new size restrictions are fairly generous. Though they do seem to be enforcing them and the one piece only seems to be being enforeced as well. Although BA don't quite seem to have caught up with the new rules. On my recent flight as we were boarding the CSD was telling everyone to put their first piece of hand luggage in the overhead bins and their second piece in under the chair infront.

Comment

I've found a way of dealing with the one piece rule as long as piece number two isn't too big. When I'm challenged, I smile and say I'll put the second piece in my roller when I take my laptop out for screening so I will only have one bag for the scanner! So far it's working and they can't really argue.

Comment

i managed to sneak in a bulging single piece the other day through T1. Of course, after security I took out my handbag and boarded with effectively 2 pieces.

Comment

I'm not sure how strict it is during screening. I mean we could just tell the check in that we have only 1 piece while hiding the other one with a fren or something hehe

Comment

Originally posted by quik! View Post
                            I'm not sure how strict it is during screening. I mean we could just tell the check in that we have only 1 piece while hiding the other one with a fren or something hehe
                            Be very careful about acting on that notion. There are BAA sentinels at the beginning of the security queues, who I've seen ask women to store their purse inside their rollaboards or other cabin baggage to ensure they had only one piece of cabin luggage. I've also seen pax asked to go back to checkin after having reached the screening machine, because they had two pieces (I think they did as you are thinking of doing).

The best option is to have a cabin luggage roomy enough to accommodate a smaller piece, just as lhrpete and SQfg have suggested.
                            ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by lhrpete View Post
                              I've found a way of dealing with the one piece rule as long as piece number two isn't too big. When I'm challenged, I smile and say I'll put the second piece in my roller when I take my laptop out for screening so I will only have one bag for the scanner! So far it's working and they can't really argue.
                              Just out of curiosity, why do you take out your laptop during screening (just want to know)?
                              "Singapore Girl, You're A Great Way To Fly"

-Singapore Airlines

Comment

Working...
                              X