Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SIA and LH: Checking through possible when holding separate e-tickets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SIA and LH: Checking through possible when holding separate e-tickets?

Hi all,

I am new here so apologies if this type of question has been answered before, I could not find any question like this.

My question:
    If flying SIA SIN-FRA and then catching a domestic LH-flight FRA-TXL (Berlin), can I check my baggage through and connect in transit (and avoid immigration) even if I have two separate e-tickets?
    I want to do the same on the way back, but this time it's BCN-FRA with LH and then FRA-SIN with SIA.

Any difference if I do it with SIA in SIN or with LH in BCN?

Background:
    It looks like if I book the flights separately online on LH and SIA websites, the tickets are cheaper than what I can get with an agent (+ I get more miles when booking online with Amex Krisflyer card). Maybe I have the wrong agent? I am relatively new to Singapore and to Frequent Flying in general so would be happy for recommendations for agents. Can I book on the phone with SIA and still get good rates? Never tried that, always booked online.

My status with SIA: Currently I have no status on SIA but at the time of the flight (August) I will most likely have at least Silver Status, maybe even Gold or PPS membership (will fly lots of business class in SIA from Feb 08 onwards). Would my status make any difference when trying this?

Thanks in advance!!
    GwailoSIN

Welcome to SQTalk, GwailoSIN.

My understanding is that you will be able to check your baggage through, however as you're traveling on separate tickets, as a general rule, you need to collect the boarding passes for your connecting flight at the transfer desks in FRA. It is quite rare but sometimes I've seen agents coax the systems into issuing boarding passes for connecting flights that are separately ticketed - but don't count on it.

However I don't think you can avoid clearing immigration at FRA even if you and/or your bags are checked the whole way through, as I recall there are airside immigration counters for entry to the Schengen Zone.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk!

I'm doubtful that LH can issue you both BPs at BCN. I once did FRA-BCN on LH connecting to BCN-SIN on SQ and LH in FRA could not issue my SQ BP even though they were 1 booking. I just walked over the SQ counter in FRA and got my SQ BP. BCN could be different and I wish you the best!

Comment

Many thanks for the quick reply, Keith!

I just called SIA Krisflyer and was told my request is NOT possible. However, the girl I talked with had no clue what I was talking about and had to ask someone else so not sure if I can rely on what she told me. She recommended asking at the check in counter but obviously this is not an option it will be too late if I only realize at the check in counter that I cannot check through

I don't mind clearing immigration if there is enough time but the transfer times are quite tight: 75 minutes and 80 minutes respectively. I travel on a German passport but my girlfriend on a Canadian passport. I have zero experience transferring in FRA as it was always my final destination in Germany.

Anyone else who has tried this before?

Comment

Thanks 9V-JKL!

I am not worried about the boarding pass (I hope this should not be a problem even if I need go to the respective SQ/LH counters again in FRA), only concerned about the luggage and the ability to actually do it.

I am a bit wary about gambling the connection like this

Comment

Get SQ to insert an info segment of the connecting LH flights into your booking, and LH to do the one of the connecting SQ flights in your LH booking. This would ensure the connecting airline has some knowledge of your delays. This would also save a 30 second explanation of what you're trying to do at check in as the check in staff would be able to see your connecting flights by bringing up the PNR. But do have your eticket receipts with you just in case they request for some documentation of your connections.

There is no question that you'd be able to check baggage through. But 99.9% of the time you'd have to pick up your boarding passes at the transfer desk.
            All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
              Get SQ to insert an info segment of the connecting LH flights into your booking, and LH to do the one of the connecting SQ flights in your LH booking.
              This is sound advice, and can't hurt.

As for your luggage, GwailoSIN, whether you get your BP depends on a few things, but I think most critically it's whether your onward flight is open for checking in or not. Seems to be the excuse they throw at me when I'm unsuccessful.

Welcome to SQTalk though

Comment

A few months ago I would have said absolutely no problem, but now I'm not so sure. British Midland would not check bags through to an SQ flight from Dublin via LHR as they said it had to be on the same ticket. I knew I would have to get a BP in LHR, but she absolutely refused to check the bags through - even called a supervisor. She waffled something about new Point to Point rules.

Of course when I went to check in at the desk in LHR, they took one look at the reservation and asked why I hadn't asked for my bags to be checked through!

Comment

Get SQ to insert an info segment of the connecting LH flights into your booking, and LH to do the one of the connecting SQ flights in your LH booking.

Sorry I have no clue what you are talking about: What is an 'info segment' and how do I 'insert it'? I will making the bookings online, how do I tell them to 'insert this'?

There is no question that you'd be able to check baggage through. But 99.9% of the time you'd have to pick up your boarding passes at the transfer desk.
                  That's very reassuring!

Again, I am very impressed by the speed of ppl answering questions here, many thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by GwailoSIN View Post

Sorry I have no clue what you are talking about: What is an 'info segment' and how do I 'insert it'? I will making the bookings online, how do I tell them to 'insert this'?
                    An info segment is a dummy segment in your booking that appears like a confirmed flight segment in the same booking/ticket, but purpose of which is to show information about your connecting flights on a separate ticket. Right now as you're on separate tickets the airlines concerned would not be able to 'see' your connecting flight segments - info segments assist in that regard.

For instance, for your SIN-FRA-TXL itinerary you might want to get SQ to insert an information segment of FRA-TXL into your SQ booking, and LH to do the same of SIN-FRA into your LH booking.

You need to call up the airlines to do it - just say 'information segment', give them flight details, and they'd sort you out.

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post
                      A few months ago I would have said absolutely no problem, but now I'm not so sure. British Midland would not check bags through to an SQ flight from Dublin via LHR as they said it had to be on the same ticket. I knew I would have to get a BP in LHR, but she absolutely refused to check the bags through - even called a supervisor. She waffled something about new Point to Point rules.
                      Yupe, I read that notice on the check-in desk when I was in Dublin in December 2006.
                      It seems that BD wants to cut cost of checking bags thru (it seems that when there are check-thru bags, BD has to pay higher baggage handling cost). Hence, unless your flights are on one-ticket, BD will not check your luggage thru.

Comment

Originally posted by GwailoSIN View Post
                        It looks like if I book the flights separately online on LH and SIA websites, the tickets are cheaper than what I can get with an agent (+ I get more miles when booking online with Amex Krisflyer card).
                        GwailoSIN, welcome to SQTalk!

Am I understanding you correctly that you're comparing the cost of booking the flights separately (online as it happens) to booking the flights on the same ticket (with an agent) ?

If so, you should be aware that with separate tickets, you will not be protected in the event that you misconnect, e.g. your flight arrives at FRA too late for you to make your domestic flight. If it's on the same ticket, you should be fine and rebooked on the next available flight. IMO and given your tight timing, I would go for the reassurance of the same ticket for both flights.

Finally, having had the experience myself recently of making a tight connection (due to delays in/outbound due to fog) at FRA but not my luggage (which turned up 6 days later given X'mas etc), do plan for the eventuality that your luggage doesn't turn up, i.e. take in hand luggage what you would be able to survive on for a few days at your destination (having clothes washed at your hotel etc) and consider also travel insurance (which led to a £600 shopping spree to buy "essentials" in my case!).

Comment

Originally posted by Snaffled View Post

Of course when I went to check in at the desk in LHR, they took one look at the reservation and asked why I hadn't asked for my bags to be checked through!
                          I think it depends on the airline and the airport.

For example, KA (prior to joining OW) had no problem at all in PVG checking my bags all the way through PVG-HKG-SIN-HEL-LHR on a combination of KA, SQ and AY flights.

And I was surprised at CX HKG check-in the other day to be handed without asking a BP for my connecting BA flight.

Comment

Last June, I travelled from MEL-SIN-FRA-FLR (SQ & LH) with FRA-FLR on separate LH ticket and I had 10 hours layover in FRA. My baggage was checked through from MEL to FLR after I showed both of my Itinerary (I used e-ticket for both). However, MEL agent were unable to issue my BP so I would need to get it in FRA...

Comment

Working...
                            X