Flying to FRA/TXL on Y -LH or SQ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying to FRA/TXL on Y -LH or SQ?

I'm planning a flight from SIN to FRA/TXL on Y in Feb before or at CNY time.

Between the LH and SQ 744 flights, which would be more comfortable in Y? Since I'm planning to sleep as much as I can, IFE and food is not a big consideration.

Also would it be easier to get an upgrade using KF miles on LH? For sure, the upgrade to J on the SQ flight would be very difficult since it's either already taken or I would have to be waitlisted.

For what it's worth, I'm also LH FTL in addition to QPP.

Another thing, would it better/cheaper to travel to Berlin on a domestic LH flight or use the train? If I take a domestic LH, I assume that I clear immigration in FRA? Is the LH domestic in a different terminal from international LH and SQ? What is the Minimum Connection Time needed whether arriving by LH or SQ into FRA if connecting on to TXL?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.

Personally I would say SQ in Y beats LH Y hands down. Seat pitch is better, IFE is way better, service is better. However to be honest if you plan to sleep as much as possible I would just go for the cheapest.

Comment

I think even if I were to spend most of the flight to Europe asleep, I'd want the SQ service to back me up -- more so if I were QPP.

After my flights this Christmas time, I'd recommend that you don't underestimate how much of a difference the service and hard product (i.e., PTVs with AVOD) can make.

I recommend SQ Y over LH Y for the long-haul segment.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 7 January 2008, 03:14 AM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
        I'm planning a flight from SIN to FRA/TXL on Y in Feb before or at CNY time.

Between the LH and SQ 744 flights, which would be more comfortable in Y? Since I'm planning to sleep as much as I can, IFE and food is not a big consideration.

Also would it be easier to get an upgrade using KF miles on LH? For sure, the upgrade to J on the SQ flight would be very difficult since it's either already taken or I would have to be waitlisted.

For what it's worth, I'm also LH FTL in addition to QPP.

Another thing, would it better/cheaper to travel to Berlin on a domestic LH flight or use the train? If I take a domestic LH, I assume that I clear immigration in FRA? Is the LH domestic in a different terminal from international LH and SQ? What is the Minimum Connection Time needed whether arriving by LH or SQ into FRA if connecting on to TXL?

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks.
        According to a friend, she prefers to take SQ Y over LH Y for SIN-FRA, unless she can upgrade to LH C (she is FTL as well).

The intra-Germany flights usually are departing from Terminal A, whether at those gates, or bus gate. SQ26 usually arrives at Terminal C. And it's easy to follow the transfer by train to Terminal A. LH779 usually arrives at Terminal B. Same easy transfer. You have to go through immigration at FRA no matter what, because your FRA-TXL is a domestic flight.
        Minimum connecting time at FRA is about 50 minutes. But I personally prefer to have longer connecting time.
        I would rather fly to TXL, just for a matter of convenience, i.e. baggage check-through to TXL. And if I have suitcase or suitcases, taking a train would be a hassle for lifting etc.

Remembr that there is SQ326 that leaves afternoon from SIN and arrives about 7pm in FRA which will still allow connection to TXL. SQ326 is operated on B777-300ER with better AVOD if you consider day flight time.

Comment

Thanks for the views so far. Seems pretty unanimous then abt SQ.

However, regarding LH, would it be easier to use KF miles to upgrade from Y to J on LH given that a similar mileage upgrade on SQ is rather difficult? Basically would it be worth flying LH just for a better chance (if any) for an upgrade (using KF mileage or op-ups) to J?

Comment

LH doesn't have PTVs in Y so for the parts you're awake, that may be a consideration as well

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Bhoy View Post
              However, regarding LH, would it be easier to use KF miles to upgrade from Y to J on LH given that a similar mileage upgrade on SQ is rather difficult? Basically would it be worth flying LH just for a better chance (if any) for an upgrade (using KF mileage or op-ups) to J?
              I don't think you should strategize around a Y>J op-up on this route. The LH business class cabin was full on my recent flights.

For mileage upgrades, it depends on your fare class and flexibiliy with your travel dates. SQ can certainly look up whether there are any available award seats on their aircraft. On the other hand, upgrading with KrisFlyer miles on LH requires a Y / B / H fare, and even then, an upgrade is still contingent on availability.
              ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
              X