TG and new BKK Suvarnabhumi - warning: vitrol alert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG and new BKK Suvarnabhumi - warning: vitrol alert

This is a prelude to my trip report... but before settling down to write the actual trippie, I need a rant to calm me down.

Murphy's Law certainly hit me for MEL-BKK TG982 and my first visit to the new BKK Suvarnabhumi yesterday:
    - TG wasn't able to issue the BP for my onward flight on LH to FRA...so much for seamless *A travel. [yes both flights are on the same ticket issued by LH]
    - The infamous, all-powerful TG a/c swapping Gods turned my 772ER into a 773 with ancient, non-lie flat C seats!!!! (ok we need an even angrier looking smiley!!!)
    - Cabin crew only served when they have to - distinctly absent apart from meal services and drink runs. Zero response to crew call button. And when I went up to the galley to get drinks, it was like they're doing me a favour.
    - Cabin temperature was uncomfortably warm.
    - Some very loud pax 2 rows behind me. (no not the fault of TG but I'm just going to rant anyway)
    - We had to disembark from a bus gate despite a helluva empty aerobridges around.
    - Why oh why do I have to enter the terminal in the middle, sprint 10 mins to the western end of the terminal for the LH transfer desk, and then run 20 mins to the eastern (ie OTHER) end of the terminal for my LH gate??!! Who's the genius who decided that it was a great idea to have the LH transfer desk and boarding gate at OPPOSITE ends of the terminal??! And you'd think all transfer desks for international flights would be at the international concourses, but no - Suvarnabhumi logic dictates that they must make pax's lives a living hell by randomly placing certain airlines' transfer desks at the domestic end of the terminal!
    - Uncomfortably warm terminal building.
    - What's with the bare concrete decor? I think there's a distinction between minimalist chic and puke-inducing, warehouse style gore. Or is 'decor' simply an euphemism for a half-arsed, unfinished effort at a new airport?
    - Boarding gate clearly was not well designed. Insufficient seats. Was like a dog's breakfast with a 744-load of pax trying to squeeze themselves into any available nook and cranny.
    - Boarding was a mess - 2 tiny doors meant a bottleneck ensued. No priority boarding for F, C or elite pax.

Thankfully the LH F flight was excellent... Now sitting in the B concourse FCL, heading to the A concourse soon to meet someone from the LH board.

*takes a deep breath*
    Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 December 2006, 02:52 PM. Reason: got my bearings wrong - blame jetlag
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Wow you maxed out on smilies...er...I mean...angries.

Sucks to hear your trip started on the wrong foot.

Comment

Had to reduce from 21 images.

I thoroughly enjoyed the LH flight though, so that made up for all the prior grief.
      Last edited by KeithMEL; 2 December 2006, 02:07 PM.
      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

With everything I've heard about the new BKK I am really glad I am not having to travel there at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
          ... Now sitting in the B concourse FCL, heading to the A concourse soon to meet someone from the LH board.

*takes a deep breath*
          Yeah do that. Take a deep breath. It's for your date.

Comment

Originally posted by CGK View Post
            It's for your date.
            I wish it was a date, but no - sorry to disappoint!
            It's actually an LH TOFer I'm guesting into the FCL. He just left for his flight to BCN.

Both FCLs are very nice.

Comment

Had to reduce from 21 images.
              THAT angry huh.........?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                THAT angry huh.........?
                Oh spoke too soon. I think LUKEGT should raise the angries limit for this thread.

Just got a text message from our dear KeithMEL in the freezing Midwest saying he's lost his bags in ORD, and blames BKK for it!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Oh spoke too soon. I think LUKEGT should raise the angries limit for this thread.

Just got a text message from our dear KeithMEL in the freezing Midwest saying he's lost his bags in ORD, and blames BKK for it!
                  Oooh yet another text!

Apparently now it COULD be that FRA, the epitome of teutonic efficiency may have let him down now instead!

Comment

My money is on Suvarnabhumi. They shafted me last month with luggage going missing. Got 2 more trips through this month as well...

Comment

Yes - it's indeed f*cken Suvarnabhumi.
                      AA just called to inform me that the bag was left behind in BKK, but has been sent on LH783 to FRA and AA83 to ORD, and hence will arrive in ORD by 5ish this arvo. It remains to be seen whether it'd make it to my hotel by tonight or tomorrow morning. Am sufficiently warm now as I just splurged on stuff in Abercrombie.

Oh and just as TG pissed me off with an ancient 773 - AA pleasantly surprised me with a 763 with brand new (angle) flat seats and decent inflight service. Kudos also to the AAngel at ORD who was most helpful in ensuring I stayed in the terminal as much as possible so I can stay warm; she went beyond her call of duty to organise the requisite transport to get me into downtown. I thanked her very profusely; "Don't worry about it - I just treat people like how I want to be treated."

Conclusion: VERY UNHAPPY with TG and Suvarnabhumi. But the great inflight service on LH, and the AAngel at ORD cheered me up somewhat.
                      Last edited by KeithMEL; 4 December 2006, 05:23 AM.

Comment

In their latest e-newsletter, ROP describe Suvarnabhumi this way: "The world’s largest airport terminal has the THAI touch in service and convenience."
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Glory glory, baggage status updated at 0745 by AA at ORD - my bag has passed customs and will be delivered to the hotel today!

Am impressed by AA's ground service.

Comment

a mini update

I just got into BKK. LH flight experienced a slight delay due to the need to de-ice at FRA. But all good as I've lots of time to kill anyway. [OT: Oh and the FCT ROCKED!! ]

LH was able to issue my onward BP to MEL so all good - no need to go on a scavenger hunt for the correct transfer desk.

Currently in the TG Royal Silk Lounge at Concourse E, simply because it's nearest to where I disembarked. Was told I'm eligible for the First Class lounge even though my flight departing BKK is in C (contrary to what the rules say); however it's at the other end of the terminal (concourse C) and I'm too lazy now to make that epic journey. Too early to tell where my next flight (TG981 to MEL) is departing from so I'd chill out till later in the evening. This lounge is rather tranquil, as opposed to reports I've read, but then again it's not peak time yet.

Airconditioning at the transfer level has improved somewhat. It felt less humid as I walked into the terminal, after being engulfed by a wall of SE Asian heat at the aerobridge. However the departure level still felt rather warm, as KC Sim described it - a 'glass cave.' Luckily there's good airconditioning in the lounge.

Wifi connection is free and plentiful. Snacks and beverages adequate for now but hopefully they'll survive the crowds later on in the evening.

There's also a TG Royal Orchid Lounge opposite - I think it's also a C lounge, but it says 'no service.' WTF?! There's yet another un-named and un-signed tiny TG lounge around the corner but there wasn't air conditioning (the poor dude at reception was sweating furiously), nor was there much to speak of as far as amenities are concerned, and I bid a hasty retreat after a quick glance.

That's it from me for now - I'll chill out for a bit and then continue with as much of my trippie as possible.

Signing off from Suvarna-poo,
                            Keith
                            Last edited by KeithMEL; 30 December 2006, 05:14 PM.

Comment

- Boarding gate clearly was not well designed. Insufficient seats. Was like a dog's breakfast with a 744-load of pax trying to squeeze themselves into any available nook and cranny.

I have no idea what the analogy is to a "dog's breakfast" but for some reason I rather like how this sounds. I gotta figure out how to use this in my everyday speaking!

Comment

Working...
                              X