Stepping On The Smooth As Silk Airline

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stepping On The Smooth As Silk Airline

Due to a last minute change of my travel schedule, I had to look for an award ticket from Zurich to Singapore. And a paid one way ticket would be too costly. Fortunately, I have some BD miles. And the good thing is allowing me to get a one way award - with miles only or cash+miles.
    The options that came up when I called BD Gold reservation were either LH in C or LX in C. We kept looking at other options via other major cities in Europe. There was an option for NH F to NRT, but nothing available from NRT to SIN. At the end we came up with TG F on A346 which would guarantee a new F seat. Have flown TG F before but it was alway the old seat. So, I convinced myself to try the new TG F seat. After all, if not trying the product, I will not be able to give any opinion on TG compare to other airlines. At least, I should try the new product.

TG971 is scheduled for 13:30 departure. The check-in opens at 10:00. I arrived at ZRH about 9:40 and had to rearrange my check-in bag which I left it in the locker at the airport. I need to make sure that I have enough space in my carry-on for pajamas and amenity kits that I should get on board.

The check-in process was very quick. Yeah it was still too early I guess. It was handled by Swissport. She told me the flight is full. She did not say anything about the lounge after he handed me my BP. I asked her and she said I can use Swiss Lounge or Bellevue. I said to her that Bellevue is not that great. So I would go to Swiss Lounge. And I said, is this the Business Lounge? Or the new First Class Lounge that just opened December 15? Of course she was impressed that I knew about the new lounge, and I told her that I had been there on the 16th.
    She decided to be sure about the Swiss Lounge. She asked her supervisor, but the supervisor only knew Swiss Lounge. And when she mentioned the direction, I said that the Business Lounge. This led to her asking the check-in agent to make a call. After the call, she said please go to the First Lounge.

I was happy to hear that. But I said to myself, I should be happy after the fact because I know the sign for the new lounge is just for Swiss First and HON.

Passing through the immigration booth. Wanted to buy souvenir for workmates back home, but did not see anything cute. Went straight to the lift near the transfer desk, and I went in to the lounge. Three lounge dragons behind the desk, and they were not showing friendly faces.. yet... I said I was told to come to this lounge when checking in for my flight to BKK. She said, with friendly and cheerful gestures, welcome to the lounge Mr. SQ LPP. She said once I am in this lounge I can not go to other lounges, and she stamped my BP. So I said I know that, and who wants to go to the Bellevue lounge or the *A lounge when this one is much better.
    Of course I have to inquire about having a guest, which she said I could have one guest as a TG F pax. (Yes, I was planning to meet someone which turned out his flight was delayed. Thus no meet happened.)

Comment

The lounge pictures can be found here.

Well, this lounge is still not up to LH FCT or FCL in FRA, but it's the best in ZRH right now. The meals serving seems to be split into three:
      • Breakfast between opening till 11:00
      • Lunch between 11:00 till 18:00
      • Dinner between 18:00 till closing
      Menu is available for the dinner.
      Again, it's busy. And I only saw another TG F pax who went in to this lounge.

Again, being the only Asian in the lounge has a different feeling especially when the butler or the waiters or the attendant did not offer or ask anything to me, while he asked other pax. But that's life. After all, I like to observe things and get my own drinks and meals anyway. And yeah Taittinger Rose was available, so I could not resist to just served myself a glass or two.

It is funny to observe people in the lounge. The couple behind were talking like they are not a husband and wife. More like a man and a woman who just started dating. Well, the man seems trying hard to please the woman.
      Then the old mother and her daughter who seated in front of me. They are heading for Chicago. And they think north american airlines are much better than LX. The old mother wanted an American newspapers in the lounge, instead of the UK papers.
      Then this preppy guy with his wife or girlfriend who are heading for LAX. Wish our flirting would continue longer!

At 1230, I left the lounge, and took the train to Terminal E. As usual, go stuck at the security, even when using the First and Business line. Rushing to buy souvenir, and heading to Gate 57. Only about 20 pax left to board.

The jetway to the first door had been closed off. So I had to use the second door which is behind C class. I showed the BP, and the greeter directed me to the right. I guess I am not an F pax looking guy... So I said I am in 2K. She said yes, you can turn rigt on the other side. Anyway, I just made myself way to the left and passing the C section which looks so familiar.. coccoon type, and found my seat 2K and by the window there were menu and amenity kits. So I know my seat is used for distribution center.

The FA did not say anything. Just took my overcoat, and disappear. I stored my rollabag in the overhead bin, as well as my laptop bag. Just took out what I need for the flight, including LH pajamas that I like to wear.

When the FA came back offering what I wanted to drink before taking off, she realized that the menus and kits were by the windows. She took them away after serving me a glass of Dom.

While taxiing, one of the food cart got unlatched. It was unnoticed for a long time.

Comment

Here some pictures outside from the windows seat 2K. While the plane still at the gate for finishing up baggage loading, as well as while taxiing, and after taking off.

Comment

More of the Alps

Comment

Many has been posting the cabin or seats as well as the kits. So I would not do that. After all, it was a full flight, thus no chance for me to have an empty cabin view. And yeah, the couple seats next to me across the aisle has been looking at me strangely. So better be a good boy. Here are the pictures of the amenity kits.

Once the seat belt sign off, I went to the lav to change to my LH pajamas. Now the TG PJs and amenity kits are in a good hand.

Comment

Some Pictures of IFE

Comment

The drinks after take off are served with the trolley service.

A bit clumsy FAs. The almond fell of from the spoon and they caught them by hand. Put them back inside the container. Same thing happened later on with the grapes and other stuff. Well, for the past 3 months I had trained how to handle food and beverage related to health in serving customer. So, I must say that the FAs should not put back the dropped almond in the container, even though did not hit the dirty floor but their bare hands are questionable, especially this is in front of the pax. Sounding me like a new pita, eh?

Another observation, the way they serve the drink is definitely as not as professional as SQ F cabin crew. I am sure some of you remember how the way SQ FAs pour champagne or wines. This was nothing like that on TG. Well like me poring myself.

Comment

When lounging, the stool even after being push back towards the seat, seems still having a gap. It depends on the person, but for me it's a bit annoying for my leg. And yes, when in the sleeping position, the seat part and the stool part still has a bit of a gap and did not have the same height. Thus you can feel it while sleeping that you are not really in a flat surface.

Comment

Canapes

Comment

Meal service started after we finished the canapes. Another refill of Dom for me. And it started with:

Hot Savoury
                      Deep-fried Crab Claw
                      Plum Sauce

I did not see any claw. But definitely it tastes like a microwaveble not much crab meat, i.e. more other ingredient mixed with the crab meats, perhaps flour (?) --- Paging phaleesy!

Then the table was set.

Big table like on LX, BA or CX. But don't know why, it seems so empty.
                      This reminds me to say that the seats on TG is similar style as LX F. The stool that can move along its grid. Unfortunately, no seat belt. Thus the sign says the stool can not be used for seating. Well it would be lovely to dine with someone likes on BA. But I remember on LX, a couple can dine together, one seated on the stool.

Comment

First Course
                        Veal Terrine with Radish
                        Lobster Tail on Shell, Cocktail Sauce

Salad
                        Mixed Green Salad with Ranch Dressing
                        River of Kings Dressing

I chose the river of kings dressing. Could not figure it out what's in it. Something creamy. But so far, nothing noticeable compare to my recent LH and LX F meals.

Comment

Main Course
                          Sauteed Lamb Fillet with Herb Garlic Crust, Lamb Juice
                          Cous Cous with Raisins, Gratinated Fennel and Brocolli

I chose the lamb. But the side dishes are not something that I would like to have. When the FA asked me about my order, I asked her politely whether it could be possible for me to have the potatoes and vegetables which serves with salmon. She was a bit surprise to my request, but then she smiled after I said I don't like couscous. And tha's why the photo shows different side dishes than the one on the menu. And yes, a good mark for the FA for this flexibility.

The cheese and fruit carts came by. I just have some fruits. I saw before sliced mango which was served to the other pax. When I inquired about mango, the FA did not say whether they run out or not. She did not say anything, just kept offering me what's on the cart. And here you go.

When the dessert time, I skipped. The apricot bread pudding was not looking great!

I decided to go to sleep since I have not slept much for couple days prior to this trip.

Comment

I was awaken myself a few times. When I was awake at the end, I knew why. Okay, for the sleeper service on this flight, there is no bed padding. Thus only the blanket. And since a full flight, I could not find any spare blanket. The blanket is more like comforter, but not to fluffy and soft like on LX. The main problem is the fact that the headrest is too hard. So when sleeping this bothers me. I can not use my pillow for my head, because I like to hold a pillow while sleeping. And the whole surface of the bed is not getting along well with my body shape. Thus a bit uncomfortable.

In short, for sleeping, I would say I prefer LX or LH.

Comment

SQ LPP ,

A great field report indeed especially with great shots of the ALPS... Cheers...
                              A380 - European Pride!

Comment

Working...
                              X