Arabella Sheraton Neues Schloss Hotel Zurich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arabella Sheraton Neues Schloss Hotel Zurich

Last edited by SQ LPP; 15 February 2008, 01:52 AM.

Last edited by SQ LPP; 15 February 2008, 02:08 AM.

Comment

The View From the Room

Last edited by SQ LPP; 15 February 2008, 02:15 AM.

Comment

The Hallway

Last edited by SQ LPP; 15 February 2008, 02:18 AM.

Comment

Last edited by SQ LPP; 15 February 2008, 02:19 AM.

Comment

As SPG PLAT, that's the room I got. I was not t old whether I got upgraded or not. But was asked to choose for amenity such as 500 bonus points, or local gift, or red wine, or fruit baskets. (In this case, I chose the red wine. So I assume no upgrade in this hotel as SPG PLAT.)

It is my personal preference to have a good size bathroom. And what I got is the small bathroom without bathtub. Really, it's kind of difficult to maneuver in there.

If I have to pay, price wise, I will go back to Sofitel. But compare to Crown Plaza, this Sheraton is much preferable.
            Since I plan to keep my SPG, if the price is right, will stay here again.

Comment

I've stayed here a couple of times - most recently the TOF ZRH Do and before that, for a ZRH-MAN-ZRH turnaround.

I wasn't SPG PLT at the time but I do remember overhearing a SPG PLT asking at check-in whether there was anything for him and the answer was no.

I was much more impressed with the Sheraton Four Points - it's cheaper than the Arabella, a short train ride away from ZRH downtown and as a SPG GLD at the time, I was upgraded to a very nice suite.

Comment

Where's Bertrand?

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                  Where's Bertrand?
                  He lives in Singapore.

Comment

Had a not so pleasant stay here in late September and from what has been posted on FT it seems like this is the norm for the Arabella Sheraton in Zurich.

Here is what happened...

So since I mentioned it in another thread I will give a brief run down of what happened during a stay at the Neues Schloss Zurich last month. I was in Zurich for a quick trip so this seemed to be the most convenient SPG option. I booked a basic room and inquired at check-in regarding upgrades. Was told there were none. I inquired with the front desk if it would be possible to check the following morning to see if any upgrades were available and was told this wouldn't be a problem. The original room I was assigned was very very small. I guess this is typical of many of the older European hotels. Well the following morning I checked online and saw that an executive room was available for booking. I then went downstairs and told the lady that had checked me in the prior day that I'd like to see if anything had opened up. I was told no. I then proceeded to tell her that I just saw Executive rooms available on the website. She claimed there were zero, but I said I can show you what the website is showing me. I brought my laptop down to the front desk and showed her what I saw. She insisted nothing was available. I then asked to speak to a manager but was told they wouldn't be able to do anything. They claimed that sometimes the website shows room, but when you try to book it won't go through. She then said if I could book the Executive room they would give it to me. So I then had to go back upstairs and book the Executive room. After confirming the booking I was then given keys to a new room.

I went to Luzern for the day and came back in the evening and there 3 chocolate bars with a note apologizing for the runaround. I went out to grab some dinner and upon returning noticed that housekeeping has entered my room for turndown service even though I put the DND sign on my door.

IMO, if hotels want to be part of SPG they should uphold their end of the bargain. As members of SPG we uphold our end of the bargain to qualify for Gold or Platinum. The thing I really hate about SPG is the runaround that some hotels give when it comes to honoring benefits. I returned home and filed a complaint via the email link posted in the sticky.

I received an email from the Corporate services department telling me that the issues I encountered were unacceptable and would be discussed with the hotel. As a goodwill gesture 10,000 Starpoints were also added to my account. Moral of this story is to stand up for the benefits you work hard to earn each year. Some of you might say that the qualifications for SPG Platinum might be easy compared to other programs, but think about it if you did it solely on leisure stays.

Comment

I was thinking of booking a night here, but having read some of the comments I don't think so...

Also I e-mailed the hotel enquiring if we had a corporate rate (our HQ is in Zurich). Was told no corp rate, which is fair, but was then offered a rate CHF105 higher than what's bookable on SPG.com.

I'm now considering the Swissotel and the Four Points Sihlcity. Anyone stayed at either property?

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                        I'm now considering the Swissotel and the Four Points Sihlcity. Anyone stayed at either property?
                        I like the Swissotel. Very busy bar late weeknights if you need a charge after a day's work, and the rooms are very business-friendly with modern design, without being clinical. I remember enjoying the breakfasts as well, so it's a step up from the cold cuts-and-congealed scrambled eggs usually on offer in European hotels.

My client (whose offices are a short walk away) once told me there are good dining options around the hotel. I haven't really explored myself, though.

For me, it was a plus that the Starbucks is right off the lobby (you can enter from the lobby) so I could get my caffeine fix after coming back from my client.

If I had to stay in town, I'd stay here or in the Sofitel (CGK has pictures of the Sofitel here). (Either of them gives you KrisFlyer miles for your stay.)
                        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Thanks jjpb3.

I've found a decent rate for the Swissotel on Opodo and have booked it. Just need an extension nite in Zurich (on my own dime) before heading to Davos. Will be at the Park Hyatt before that on business, but the rate for an extra nite there is a bit rich for my taste...

Comment

Originally posted by milehighj View Post
                            Originally posted by jhm View Post
                            I was much more impressed with the Sheraton Four Points - it's cheaper than the Arabella, a short train ride away from ZRH downtown and as a SPG GLD at the time, I was upgraded to a very nice suite.
                            I've stayed in the Arabella (twice), the Sofitel and the Four Points and the latter certainly was my favourite. It has non-fussy decor, the staff were friendly, I got upgraded and the location isn't that bad (the Arabella isn't that convenient as well anyway).

Comment

Working...
                            X