X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leroy and Bubba Intra Australia - Blue Virgins and Qantas Skybeds

DJ826 VH-VBS
    SYD-MEL

After very quickly clearing immigration in SYD getting off our CHC-SYD flight, mummy, aunty P and us wandered over to the Virgin Blue transfer desk. As NZ is not a partner of DJ, we had to pay 5 AUD for the bus ride across to T3 from International. 15 AUD if they took our bags too. Would have been complimentary for partners (includes MH, amongst others we think). Note though, this ride is free for us bears

We lined up for check in for DJ834 (STD 1115) at 0855 or so. When we got to the front of the queue 2-3 minutes later, the nice check in lady asked us if we would like to take the earlier DJ826. Mummy and Aunty P said yes in a heartbeat! We would at least get to MEL earlier to catch the tail end of the boxing day sale!

VH-VBS awaits! Row 14 and back (we think) go up the rear end.

Pic taken on departure from SYD. You can see the city. It's a very nice place and we like it very much.

This plane was equipped with Live2Air, but mummy didn't want to pay so we watched the flight map instead.

Wrong way to Melbourne! :o

That's better!

Mummy! Why is the glass plastic? and why did you have to pay for this?

Mummy explained that since we were on a Low Cost Carrier, so we had to pay for food and drinks on board. Wanted to ask mummy as well about why the seat didn't fold flat into a bed but thought the better of it! Here's us savouring every last drop!

Leroy checks out the cabin

Overall our first experience on a Low Cost Carrier was lots of fun. It's always fun travelling with mummy . The Virgin Boys and Virgin Girls seem to love their job and are a very funny lot
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 4 March 2008, 04:00 PM.

QF073 MEL-SYD
    VH-OJE

Mummy booked us on this Domestic Leg of an international flight so that we could all try the Qantas Skybeds. QF73 goes on from MEL-SYD on to SFO. It’s very nice to get on those QF1-399 flights as you get large aircraft. Today we had a Darwin 700 operating our flight. Mummy insisted it was a Boeing 747-400 but we saw this same plane in OpenTTD. So we’re not sure who’s right.

Check in lines were not long, but the queue took ages to move!

Bubba Waiting in line

Even though everyone was getting impatient, Bubba didn’t seem to mind the queue not moving

After we got our boarding passes, Leroy tries yet again to put his BP away safely.

Here’s VH-OJE waiting to take us to Sydney. VH-OJE is 2 class, so there’s no First. We got seats 4J and 4K in the nose section, which is Business Class.
    Last edited by SQflyergirl; 4 January 2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

On board and settling in. The Skybed is pretty comfortable to sit in. More than the Spacebed, to be honest.

Cabin Shots

A trip report is not complete without foot shots

Clever little bottled water holder between the two seats in front of us!

Which we put to better use!

Neat little coathooks in extended and retracted mode

Selection of magazines found at the seat pocket to the side

This plane was equipped with AVOD, so here’s the front menu
      Last edited by SQflyergirl; 4 January 2008, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Lavatory has windows that are opaque on the ground and

Transparent mid-air

Bye bye Melbourne! (The Darwin 700 takes off sooooo quickly when lightly loaded)

Here’s a couple of shots for Uncle Jjpb3, we know he likes air to ground shots. Just after departure we look back at Tullamarine Airport!

Whilst seats in the nose are very private, seat rows 23-24 just before Y are very spacious!

Soon after, they served us lunch. It was Chicken with sweet potato. The Chicken was yummy, but the sweet potato was a bit funny tasting

After a while, we thought we’d lie down to test the Skybed. It’s very comfortable! *shock shock horror!, we think it’s more comfortable than the Spacebed in both SITTING and Lying down!modes*

As we’re always hungry, we were pleased to hear mummy say that if you looked out the windows we’d find two Rolls under the wings. She lied. There’s NOTHING to eat here *grr*

Mummy and Aunty P settling in for the short flight

Aunty P catching up with the most important news of the world

Last edited by SQflyergirl; 4 January 2008, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Soon we began our descent into SYD. Here are some shots of what appears to be a lovely clear blue sky day! If you look carefully you’ll see SYD airport and part of the city. This view is roughly northeast (according to mummy)

We turn left and skirt the coastline of botany bay

Then turn left again to line up with runway 34L. This is on finals. People sunbathing!

Here’s Leroy waving to a surfer man!
          Just before touching down!

And we’re here! A slightly older virgin than what we’re used to! Aunty SKA has gone home, or so we’re told!
          Last edited by SQflyergirl; 4 January 2008, 10:08 PM.

Comment

So in summary, we quite like Qantas, going by our experience today and in october

It is efficient, and fairly comfortable. Maybe Laurent and Bertrand will prefer Air France, but we're just simple bears

Thank you uncle I, uncle Kokoh Gee, uncle Ahen, uncle KeithMEL, uncle Blast-Off and the Kelab BK members for such a lovely time in MEL

Comment

It was nice to see you boys with your mummy and Aunty P again. Come back soon!
              All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Nice to see you in MEL.... Ahen and Kokoh Gee will miss you too... Hehehehehe... Please Come Back to MEL soon....

What??? Uncle I??? U mean Sir I was in MEL???

Strange.... He was just in SIN on 27th Dec.... I met him... Hmm...really strange...

Does he have Doraemon's Door??? ROFL...
                Last edited by blast-off; 2 January 2008, 12:31 AM.

Comment

i just love your TR's! Keep em coming
                  Home is where your heart is.

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy and Bubba View Post

Even though everyone was getting impatient, Bubba didn’t seem to mind the queue not moving
                    I wonder why....

Comment

for the extreme planespotters, your plane was actually a Darwin 700ER

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                        I'll be sure to point out the difference to them next time around

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                          I wonder why....
                          You're not the only who's perplexed

Comment

Originally posted by Greatfox View Post
                            Hmm....I know VH-OEx versions are ERs but VH-OJE is ER ?

Comment

Originally posted by Jubilee777 View Post
                              Hmm....I know VH-OEx versions are ERs but VH-OJE is ER ?
                              Yeah actually, I'd have thought the OE's were ER's and the OJ's are standard?

Comment

Working...
                              X