AF/KL bid for AZ approved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AF/KL bid for AZ approved

You can all rest assured that it's not SQ now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/7163153.stm

The Italian government has given its backing to Air France-KLM's proposal to buy Alitalia.

The loss-making airline will now enter eight weeks of exclusive talks with its preferred bidder, Italy's Economy Minister Tommaso Padoa-Schioppa said.

The contest to buy the government's stake in Alitalia had been closely fought, with the firm choosing Air France-KLM last week.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

The contest to buy the government's stake in Alitalia had been closely fought, with the firm choosing Air France-KLM last week.
    Closely fought? Really?

Comment

From what I read, the deal can still fall through the cracks. I wonder who'll it be if it is not successful with KLM-AF.

Comment

the only other bidder was the second italian carrier, Air One.

Now in the next 8 weeks both AF-KL and italian gov.t will try to reach a binding offer. If this should not be successful, i think AZ will fail. They are literally burning money everyday... the more they fly, the more they lose money.
        There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
        If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

I wonder how KL/AF wants to get any money from this investment. AZ has huge problems:
          - They fly many old gas guzzlers (MD-80/B767), which in addition don't fit the KL/AF fleet
          -They have piled up big debts from constantly flying in the red zone for quite a few years
          -They are ridiculously overstaffed
          -Their staff is organized in very aggressive unions
          -Their whole burocracy sits in Italy (=it's fairly inefficient)
          -They failed to make MXP a real good hub
          -Their other hub is Rome, no comment on that one
          -Their unions prevent them from closing the MXP-hub

I trust the KL/AF management people that they have thought well about this deal, but I wouldn't invest any money into that company!
          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post
            I wonder how KL/AF wants to get any money from this investment. AZ has huge problems:
            - They fly many old gas guzzlers (MD-80/B767), which in addition don't fit the KL/AF fleet
            -They have piled up big debts from constantly flying in the red zone for quite a few years
            in this very well done summary u forgot:

- aircrafts dirty and always late
            - appalling onboard service
            - FAs not really trained to deal with people when stressed!
            There's only One way to fly.... SINGAPORE AIRLINES!
            If SQ is too expensive, the other way to fly is Qatar Airways

Comment

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post

My standards must be significantly lower than yours.

- I do not find the aircraft dirty. I just do not like the colour.

- I agree it is always late. Then again, BA is also always late.

- I find the service friendly and good enough. The female FAs might not be as coquettish as a certain airline but since I'm a girl and do not fancy other girls, I'm happy with the AZ crew.

- I'm not stressed when I travel, therefore would not have experienced their incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by up and away View Post

I trust the KL/AF management people that they have thought well about this deal, but I wouldn't invest any money into that company!
                The MD-80 series fleet is pretty sizeable & a problem, but AZ hasn't got the money to get rid of them for good, a bit like SAS really...

I wouldn't go as far to say the B767 is a gas guzzler. Sure it's not as efficient as the A330 or indeed B787/A350, but still, many airlines are using them to replace older types...
                Their staff aren't being that helpful in the whole situation as you've said.

Originally posted by LukeGT View Post

I have to say the Alisnack is pretty awfal...

Originally posted by phaleesy View Post
                My standards must be significantly lower than yours.

- I do not find the aircraft dirty. I just do not like the colour.

- I agree it is always late. Then again, BA is also always late.

- I find the service friendly and good enough. The female FAs might not be as coquettish as a certain airline but since I'm a girl and do not fancy other girls, I'm happy with the AZ crew.

- I'm not stressed when I travel, therefore would not have experienced their incompetence.
                The AZ livery, if given to some really comtemport art students or something could EASILY be made to look really quite cool. Think of the difference that TAP or United or US Airways had with the change of livery. Something crisp & Italian.

BA aren't always late because of BA, but of Heathrow & it's ridiculous delays...

Comment

Working...
                X