Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KF AMEX Gold Card - not the fastest way to more miles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KF AMEX Gold Card - not the fastest way to more miles?

I just realised that the KF AMEX Gold card does not give you as good conversion rate as I thought. AMEX in Malaysia has a turbo programme where you will get double reward points for each ringgit spent (But will need to pay RM50 to enrol to the program, and addition RM25)

Say, you spent RM20,000, you will get 40,000 points.

KF Gold (20,000 points / 3.8) = 5253 KF miles
    Gold (40,000 points / 5.8 ) = 6896 KF miles.

I just lost out about 1600 KF miles! ooks like I'll be applying for a new AMEX Gold, and will only use the KF AMEX for purchasing via SQ.com.

Thought I'd share this tip to maximise your points.

I thought it was pretty well known that there are a couple of other credit cards in Singapore with better conversion rates. I'm pretty sure there have been discussions to this effect. They don't have a direct conversion like AMEX but work based on conversion from credit card points to miles.

Comment

Originally posted by fimo View Post
      I thought it was pretty well known that there are a couple of other credit cards in Singapore with better conversion rates. I'm pretty sure there have been discussions to this effect. They don't have a direct conversion like AMEX but work based on conversion from credit card points to miles.
      For Singapore DBS Altitude Amex and Citi Premier Visa come to mind. First DBS claimed the best earnings ratio and now it is Citi. Amex actually rolled out an "emergency" earnings booster in addition to the 50% if you spent more then 5K SGD. You had to spend 10K SGD from Sep to Dec (till 31st) to get another extra booster (forgot exact terms).

Comment

KF Amex Gold - Extra 50% (on top of usual 50%)?

GET 50% + 50% BONUS MILES IN 2008
        From now till 31 December 2008, all you have to do is charge S$5,000 or more to your American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card and you'll receive 50% more KrisFlyer miles1 on your purchases all year long. To enjoy an additional 50% more KrisFlyer miles, simply increase your spend to $10,000. What's more, you will receive Double KrisFlyer miles every time you purchase tickets at singaporeair.com.

Unfortunately, the fine print in the Amex website says the extra 50% bonus is capped at 5000 KF Miles.

So with the bonus 50%, does this card become the fastest ay to more miles (again)?

Comment

Originally posted by kelakwek View Post
          GET 50% + 50% BONUS MILES IN 2008
          From now till 31 December 2008, all you have to do is charge S$5,000 or more to your American Express Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer Gold Credit Card and you'll receive 50% more KrisFlyer miles1 on your purchases all year long. To enjoy an additional 50% more KrisFlyer miles, simply increase your spend to $10,000. What's more, you will receive Double KrisFlyer miles every time you purchase tickets at singaporeair.com.

Unfortunately, the fine print in the Amex website says the extra 50% bonus is capped at 5000 KF Miles.

So with the bonus 50%, does this card become the fastest ay to more miles (again)?
          Hmm too lazy to do the math but that offer was thrown out already last year in fall to cathc up with Citi Premier Miles. They extended it for 2008 to stay competitive as too many people were switching.

Comment

If one spends on the credit card alot, plus all the flight travels...it should add up

I'd rather earn KrisFlyer points then get a free credit card waiver

JWNY
            drink Coke...save water

Comment

Originally posted by JWNY View Post
              If one spends on the credit card alot, plus all the flight travels...it should add up

I'd rather earn KrisFlyer points then get a free credit card waiver

JWNY
              I rather get both the miles and the credit card waiver. Have not paid any credit card annual fees ever.

Welcome to SQTalk, JWNY.

Comment

No idea about the Malaysian side but I find the Krisflyer Amex card to definitely be slower in accumulating mileage than the Citibank PremierMiles card. I joined PremierMiles back in early Jan, and have only been seriously using it for all my spending from mid-February in place of the Krisflyer Amex (after I found out I got their double-miles 50+50 offer for my spending in 2007 ). To date, I'm on the verge of cracking the 30,000miles and it's only been 3 months. Even with the 5k bonus for joining deducted, that is still 25,000miles in 3 months (almost), which is around 8k of miles a month. My highest ever monthly accumulation on Krisflyer Amex (even whilst accumulating points) was just shy of 3,000 miles per month with an average of 1,700-2,300 miles per month. Spending-wise, I'd say I was only spending 20% more than average last year per month.

I'm rather thrilled at their prospect of a bonus 10,000 or 20,000miles after 12 months, but will definitely ask for the credit card fee waiver. Would be even better if I signed up for the CX Platinum card and let them give me a bonus 10,000 miles when I've already switched to the PremierMiles.. massive double-dipping there, but it'd probably not be allowed . Someone should try, though!

I guess we'll soon see the PremierMiles customers that joined when the card was launched being issued their renewal notices in a month, so it will be interesting to see if the $180 fee can be waived. Will be interesting to see if Krisflyer Amex asks me to pay an annual fee this July (I signed up only last July) as the last 3 months have had very minimal spending at best (only for places with Amex promotions and only for bookings on singaporeair.com, which there haven't been all too many of now that my company insists on using a corporate travel agent for all business-related bookings).

I also signed up for DBS Altitude and have found it pales in comparison to the PremierMiles (except for that new Jetquay offer that DBS just sent around a few nights ago. 3 people for $100 (departure) is actually tempting, only have to find one or two other willing souls to tag along all at the same time... anyone keen? I can't imagine using the DBS Altitude for anything else..

Oh - and a big 'Hello' to everyone (I just joined - have been a lurker for FAR too long to familiarise myself with the SQtalk lingo, and finally decided to jump into the fray this morning after seriously going first for the *E and then with a bit of luck *G this year or next..). Am looking forward very much to all the upgrades this PremierMiles card will deliver!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                  Oh - and a big 'Hello' to everyone (I just joined - have been a lurker for FAR too long to familiarise myself with the SQtalk lingo, and finally decided to jump into the fray this morning
                  Welcome to SQTalk Kyo!

Comment

Originally posted by Kyo View Post
                    I also signed up for DBS Altitude and have found it pales in comparison to the PremierMiles (except for that new Jetquay offer that DBS just sent around a few nights ago. 3 people for $100 (departure) is actually tempting, only have to find one or two other willing souls to tag along all at the same time... anyone keen? I can't imagine using the DBS Altitude for anything else..
                    I am using the Amex KrisFlyer and the CitiBank Premier Miles card...figured since i already owned an Amex, the DBS Altitude Card would be redundant...the UOB Signature Card seems to be another way of chalking mileage?

PS: Can't remember the last time Amex gave me a card waiver

JWNY
                    drink Coke...save water

Comment

Originally posted by JWNY View Post
                      I am using the Amex KrisFlyer and the CitiBank Premier Miles card...figured since i already owned an Amex, the DBS Altitude Card would be redundant...the UOB Signature Card seems to be another way of chalking mileage?

PS: Can't remember the last time Amex gave me a card waiver

JWNY
                      Krisflyer gave waiver only if you are PPS from when past dealings with them. The main advantage is to purchase air tickets using AMEX Card. However, the thing I don't liked about the KF Card is that bonus are only given early next year.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                        Welcome to SQTalk Kyo!
                        The pleasure's all mine. Lovely to finally talk directly to one of the most loved personalities on SQtalk.

Comment

How to get fee waiver for AMEX Platinum?

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                          Have not paid any credit card annual fees ever.
                          Wonder how you did that? Is there's any way to get fee waiver for my Dad's AMEX platinum of which I am a supp cardholder as well?

Talked to them for some time just now, and they just refused to waive it. Compared to other banks, I supposed it is the hardest to get fee waiver from AMEX!

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                            Wonder how you did that? Is there's any way to get fee waiver for my Dad's AMEX platinum of which I am a supp cardholder as well?

Talked to them for some time just now, and they just refused to waive it. Compared to other banks, I supposed it is the hardest to get fee waiver from AMEX!
                            For the Amex Platinum, I didn't even have to ask.
                            They simply didnt charge me any annual fees and this also applied to my DBS credit cards.
                            For UOB / Citibank, I had to contact them and they waived the annual fees immediately.
                            And the trick is always to say that you will cancel the card if they dont waive the annual fee. I was even offered gift vouchers not to cancel my DBS black card.

Comment

AMEX don't love me!

Originally posted by SuperJonJon View Post
                              For the Amex Platinum, I didn't even have to ask.
                              They simply didnt charge me any annual fees and this also applied to my DBS credit cards.
                              For UOB / Citibank, I had to contact them and they waived the annual fees immediately.
                              And the trick is always to say that you will cancel the card if they dont waive the annual fee. I was even offered gift vouchers not to cancel my DBS black card.
                              Wow, then you must be a big spender with AMEX. Had tried all sorts of trick and reasoning, but they are still insistent on charging the annual fee. They will only waive annual fee if we downgrade to Gold. Despite being an AMEX member for past 2 decades and charging a total of five figure sum to that card for the past year. I am writing them a letter now, threatening to stop all spending on AMEX should they give us a Gold card.

Never had any problem getting any fee waiver from other banks though.

AMEX don't love me Perhaps, through their partnership with SQ, they are influenced by SQ's thinking that loyal customers is not that impt after all?

Comment

Working...
                              X