Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas aircraft engineers vote for industrial action

Commencing 09JAN.

The vote will allow the union to call four-hour stoppages, which Qantas has admitted could have a serious impact on its flights by late January.

Qantas spokesman Kevin Brown said the airline was still open to finding a solution. However, Qantas has declined to comment on speculation it is already looking to reschedule its flights and even bring in non-union relief labour.
    http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...175346324.html
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Official word from QF: "We're pursuing a variety of options to ensure that our passengers can book with confidence and travel in comfort in January."

Verbatim.
    All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
      Official word from QF: "We're pursuing a variety of options to ensure that our passengers can book with confidence and travel in comfort in January."

Verbatim.
      This translates as you will be delayed for hours and have the travel experience from hell but we will not admit to that in advance so that you do not cancel and demand a refund.

Comment

What I read at the Australian this morning was that QF has contacted NZ to see if it could contract its pool of mechanics to fill for QF during the strike period as well as tried to re-hire all those engineers whom QF laid off when the SYD maintenance base was close at double the wages.

Comment

and recently last week, Qantas also announced that they will sent their planes for MROs in Malaysia - will make their engineers see more red.

Comment

http://www.theage.com.au/news/nation...344952894.html

Qantas is offering its former engineers, some made redundant as little as a year ago, jobs as strike breakers with a $100,000 salary for just six months work...

"We are pursuing a variety of contingency arrangements to ensure our passengers can travel with confidence in January," a company spokesman said.

"We have nothing further to add at this stage."

Comment

The result of having a Labour government just voted in who has got strong background in the union. Fancy going back on the IR laws introduced by the Howard which is doing the country a whole lot of good!

Comment

Originally posted by ericb288 View Post
                Fancy going back on the IR laws introduced by the Howard which is doing the country a whole lot of good!
                Laws which even the current Coalition Opposition has just dropped its support for.

Comment

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

QANTAS has cancelled leave for its licensed engineers and engaged an Australian labour hire firm to seek replacement workers in an attempt to minimise delays from next month's industrial action over a pay dispute.

Comment

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...-23349,00.html

Just an overtime ban (ie work-to-rule) at this stage:

QANTAS passengers could face delays as early as next week after the failure yesterday of talks aimed at averting industrial action by the airline's 1700 licensed engineers.

The engineers will introduce overtime bans from Wednesday, but stopped short of the rolling four-hour stoppages they were threatening before the negotiations started.

However, the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association warned yesterday it could still apply to introduce the rolling stoppages if Qantas did not come back to the table.

"There were some positive outcomes, with Qantas moving on in a couple of areas, so we're optimistic that before the industrial action starts, we'll be able to get together for another meeting," ALAEA federal president Paul Cousins said last night.
                    http://www.theage.com.au/news/travel...950073940.html

The dispute could affect thousands of holidaymakers and corporate clients, although Qantas and the engineers' union say the initial impact will be minimal.

"When the overtime bans kick in you probably won't see an immediate impact, but it will all depend on the serviceability within the fleet," he said. "If the serviceability remains high then you probably won't see a lot of effect, but if it starts to decline and you have a couple of aircraft go to the US, then they obviously won't be able to draw on extra manpower, and that is when some aircraft may need to be grounded."
                    Hmm - I find it strange how an airline relies on people to work overtime to function normally? Are they that understaffed?

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,23025326-2,00.html

INDUSTRIAL action planned by Qantas engineers for tomorrow has been postponed.

The industrial action planned for Wednesday is now scheduled for Friday...

Comment

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html

The industrial action originally planned for Wednesday this week was rescheduled for tomorrow before being delayed today until February.
                        Phew...

Comment

Working...
                        X