• Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen pumped into Qantas 747 by mistake

http://tinyurl.com/2mj5zb

At least 175 planes could have been affected"

'Fatal' gas pumped into Qantas jet
    Matthew Benns
    December 16, 2007

POTENTIALLY fatal gas being pumped into a passenger jet's emergency oxygen tanks in Australia has sparked a worldwide safety investigation.

The Australian Safety Transport Bureau confirmed yesterday that Qantas engineers accidentally put nitrogen into the oxygen tanks of a Boeing 747 at Melbourne Airport.

Qantas immediately checked oxygen supplies on more than 50 of its planes that had been serviced by a wrongly labelled nitrogen cart at Tullamarine.

But an aviation source said: "This could have affected hundreds of planes worldwide. Any international jet that passed through Melbourne and was serviced by Qantas could have had nitrogen pumped into its oxygen tanks."

Health experts warned that in an emergency the nitrogen could be fatal.

Dr Ian Millar, director of the hyperbaric medicine unit at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital, said: "If there was an emergency and the pilot took nitrogen instead of oxygen, instead of gaining control of the aircraft he would black out and it would be all over. It's a pretty serious mistake."

Non-flammable nitrogen is commonly used to fill aircraft tyres.

The aviation source said: "Qantas took delivery of the new nitrogen cart 10 months ago.

"It looked exactly like the old oxygen cart. When the attachments did not fit they went and took them off the old oxygen cart and started using it."

The mistake was spotted by an aircraft engineer and reported to the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, which declared it a one-off incident. But the aviation source said: "This could have affected at least 175 planes."

An Australian Transport Safety Bureau spokeswoman said Qantas identified 21 aircraft at risk and another 30 at minor risk because of oxygen top-ups.

The planes were inspected and no positive results found.

Qantas engineering executive general manager David Cox said safety checks had been put in place.

"Every aircraft, including customer aircraft, that could have been touched by this rig has been checked," he said.

Source: The Sun-Herald
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Originally posted by 9V-SPL View Post
    http://tinyurl.com/2mj5zb

At least 175 planes could have been affected"

'Fatal' gas pumped into Qantas jet
    Matthew Benns
    December 16, 2007

The aviation source said: "Qantas took delivery of the new nitrogen cart 10 months ago.

"It looked exactly like the old oxygen cart. When the attachments did not fit they went and took them off the old oxygen cart and started using it."

Source: The Sun-Herald
    What's the point of having a fool proof connection point? I can't believe this type of mistake can be made.

Comment

I'm just glad that the alert engineer spotted the mistake and reported it, and no one was hurt.
      It's good also that Qantas announced it immediately, and there was no attempt at cover-up.
      J. my own dear wife J.

Comment

Something that should not happen at all. Thank goodness everything is safe. Hopefully, no such incident will happen again.

Comment

Could have been worse according to the book I'm reading at the moment Nitrogen poisoning is one of the most painless ways to die.

Comment

I wonder what the Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association have to say about this ?

Comment

Working...
            X