Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suvarnabhumi is getting worse. Queues at HKG also terrible.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suvarnabhumi is getting worse. Queues at HKG also terrible.

Having just been into and out of Bangkok through Suvarnabhumi, I am staggered to see the place seems to be getting worse. They are still sticking aircraft on remote gates when the place is half empty and the queues at immigration just get worse.

We landed early Saturday afternoon from HKG and taxied to the B Gates where to my delight I spotted that there was the grand total on ONE aircraft on the entire apron there. Then as we were rolling towards the gates and I awaited the swing to the left, I was staggered that we instead swung right to a remote stand. I heard at least 3 pax complain to the TG staff member waiting at the bottom of the stairs when they saw the empty gates.

Immigration was utter chaos, again. At the first set of desks near where we arrived, they were already queuing back down the ramp. **** that. Walked down to the next immigration area and it was about half as bad, but still took 40 minutes to get through. About 30 minutes into the wait hundreds more arrived and this section then had queues down the ramp. Those lot down there must have waited an hour to get through. Only a third (Maximum) of the desks were manned throughout.

For a country that is so reliant on tourism this is not good, and the commments from pax in the queues confirm this.

HKG, what's gone wrong there then ??. It's been a couple of years since I have been to Hong Kong but I don't remember it being that bad, it was worse than BKK.

Friday afternoon it took 55 minutes to get through immigration. Out of eight desks in our area, just three were initially manned them one of them buggered off leaving just two.

It also took 30 minutes to get through security at T2 (when did this open BTW ?) on Saturday morning. Looks like it's not just the UK who won't spend the money on manning all the available desks...
    Last edited by MAN Flyer; 4 December 2007, 08:08 PM.

What continues to drive me nuts about BKK is that security continues to insist on rifling through your hand luggage on a desperate hunt for liquids.

Having spent what can be several minutes on this hunt, they then insist that the "liquid collection" is X-rayed separately, as if this is the holy grail of good security.

Comment

Sounds similar to my experience at BKK immigration in August when we (the first group off the plane running for immigration ) all got sent to another immgiration area, waited there for ages and then another surly faced immigration officer came along to kick us all out and back to the other area (and to the back of the queues)!

I don't have any problems with HKG as I have a HKID so it only take a few minutes to clear immigration through the automatic gates.

MAN Flyer, if you've visited HKG 3 times or more in the last 12 months, you can apply for this:

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/...nfo_entr.jhtml

Comment

I was in HKG last week and immigration on both arrival and exit was terrible. Over the last 18 months or so it has been like this everytime I have visited. Before that I remembering it being almost SIN efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          I was in HKG last week and immigration on both arrival and exit was terrible. Over the last 18 months or so it has been like this everytime I have visited. Before that I remembering it being almost SIN efficient.
          I have been experiencing long queues at HKG 3 times for the last 3 months. I think CX should set up an express lane for its premium passengers.

I have spent between 40 - 55 minutes each time. I don't believe it is getting better.

Comment

So it is a serious problem at HKG. A few did voice their annoyance at the number of unmanned desks to passing immigration staff and they just weren't interested.

ICN and PVG can also be very hit and miss with immigration. PVG last week was a doddle, and I was in a taxi 15 minutes after disembarking. The previous time it was 40 minutes just to get through immigration. Ironically enough, having experienced HKG, BKK and my number one hate LHR in the last week, LHR was the best of the three.

I've all but given up on Suvarnabhumi anyway now. Unless you're flying TG F it's a pain. It's not so bad for those of us who know our way around the place but for relatively inexperienced travellers it must a nightmare with hardly any signs and nowhere near enough flight information monitors. That's before we start on remote stands and the ridiculous lack or aircon in places making it far too hot. The only plus point I find with it is I find it much better for getting to and from the City than Don Muang.

I suppose we are in danger of underestimating just how good Changi is at at times. All we need now is a decent SKL......

Comment

And with new T3, SKL will be on par with other airlines top lounges (or at least I hope so).

As far as BKK is concerned, I just don't get the reasoning of parking a full 744 at a remote gate. It's a disgrace to otherwise very tourist friendly country.

I do, however, find immigration not that bad at a time I go through BKK (which is around midnight arriving on UA837).

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
                Ironically enough, having experienced HKG, BKK and my number one hate LHR in the last week, LHR was the best of the three.
                Yes my recent experieinces of LHR have been much better. The last couple of time arriving there have been no queues for immigration and my baggage arrived within 5 minutes of me getting to the baggage hall. On leaving they have actually had every security line operational so although there have been queues they have moved really quickly.

Comment

ICN and PVG can also be very hit and miss with immigration. PVG last week was a doddle, and I was in a taxi 15 minutes after disembarking. The previous time it was 40 minutes just to get through immigration.
                  I had a 'hit' with PVG this morning. Was in taxi very quickly after disembarking, couldn't have been more than 15 mins (even taking into account time to fend off taxi touts). However the journey to downtown was chaos as the freeway was chokers.
                  All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

I agree that it's always hit & miss with PVG. If the SIA flight gets delayed a few minutes it can get caught behind a few others for immigration (Air India and Korean I think).
                    I've found the fastest way into the city (either side) is to get the Maglev and get a taxi from there - that highway can be a nightmare.

Comment

OT posts about Shanghai (yours truly's included ) have been moved to this thread.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Having just been into and out of Bangkok through Suvarnabhumi, I am staggered to see the place seems to be getting worse. They are still sticking aircraft on remote gates when the place is half empty and the queues at immigration just get worse.

We landed early Saturday afternoon from HKG and taxied to the B Gates where to my delight I spotted that there was the grand total on ONE aircraft on the entire apron there. Then as we were rolling towards the gates and I awaited the swing to the left, I was staggered that we instead swung right to a remote stand. I heard at least 3 pax complain to the TG staff member waiting at the bottom of the stairs when they saw the empty gates.

Immigration was utter chaos, again. At the first set of desks near where we arrived, they were already queuing back down the ramp. **** that. Walked down to the next immigration area and it was about half as bad, but still took 40 minutes to get through. About 30 minutes into the wait hundreds more arrived and this section then had queues down the ramp. Those lot down there must have waited an hour to get through. Only a third (Maximum) of the desks were manned throughout.

For a country that is so reliant on tourism this is not good, and the commments from pax in the queues confirm this.
                        Just came back from my BKK trip last night. Queues at immigration for both arrivals and departures were short, with only about 3 or 4 people in front of me. In fact, when arriving, we are still waiting for the first bag to be rolled out.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                          Just came back from my BKK trip last night. Queues at immigration for both arrivals and departures were short, with only about 3 or 4 people in front of me. In fact, when arriving, we are still waiting for the first bag to be rolled out.
                          Which flights did you arrive and depart on?

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
                            Which flights did you arrive and depart on?
                            Took LX183 and LX182 to/fro S'pore.

Comment

Originally posted by slacker View Post
                              Took LX183 and LX182 to/fro S'pore.
                              I remember virtually no queuing at BKK when i arrived on LX from SIN. Must be a quiet time of the night.

Every other time however...

Comment

Working...
                              X