Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Retro claim >6mths

Hi everyone,

I just discovered today that miles for one of my flights was not credited (JNB-SIN on 20 April 2007). I usually check the website after every trip, but somehow I missed this one.
    I called Krisflyer Hotline and they said they dont entertain claims >6mths. Not wanting to give up, I wanted an email address that I can appeal to - the cust agent said she needs to check and gave me feedback@krisflyer.com.sg (shit, why does she need to check, I tot such a basic question on email address would be covered in first day of training!!).

Anyway, like to check if anybody has any luck in claiming for flights >6mths before (in my case, it is 7months+ already).

Secondly, something just occurred to me. Why must miles be credited only after travel? If I have already pay in full for an airticket, should not I get the miles ? If the ticket is submited it for a refund, then reverse the miles. Is there anything wrong with this school of thought ?

cheers
    Acey

Originally posted by acey View Post

Anyway, like to check if anybody has any luck in claiming for flights >6mths before (in my case, it is 7months+ already).
    Not had to do one for miles, but I had success with KF once for credit of PPS sectors for a flight that was taken 2 or 3 years prior to that - explained that i wanted it against TPP qualification, nothing more, and they did credit it.

Comment

KF replied 1 day after I emailed them:
      ---------------------------------------------
      Thank you for your email dated 03 December 2007 to KrisFlyer Membership Services regarding your Retroactive Mileage Claim.

We would like to inform you that we are currently reviewing your missing mileage claim for the following flight. Please allow 4 to 6 weeks for verification and approval.

SQ479 20 April 2007 Johannesburg to Singapore Economy Y Class

Mr Acey, we are thank you for writing to us and for your patience in this matter. We hope you enjoy the benefits of your membership in the year ahead. If you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact us.
      -----------------------------------------------

Will keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Comment

Secondly, something just occurred to me. Why must miles be credited only after travel? If I have already pay in full for an airticket, should not I get the miles ? If the ticket is submited it for a refund, then reverse the miles. Is there anything wrong with this school of thought ?
        Good question, but I think it's advantageous for SQ to do that:

1. So that people will fly more with them - e.g. a trip to AKL/CHC from LHR would earn enough KF miles for a return sidetrip to say KUL/PEN. If miles are credit immediately after purchase, some may redeem the SINKULSIN or SINPENSIN flight, as opposed to purchasing it with cash.

2. Also I think with the 'inflation' associated with their KF Miles, the later they credit miles, the less rewards they have to give out. I recall some revision of KF miles required for Award Bookings, and they always go up as opposed to down.

Comment

Also congrats for getting them to retro claim the miles!

Comment

Originally posted by taless View Post

1. So that people will fly more with them - e.g. a trip to AKL/CHC from LHR would earn enough KF miles for a return sidetrip to say KUL/PEN. If miles are credit immediately after purchase, some may redeem the SINKULSIN or SINPENSIN flight, as opposed to purchasing it with cash.
            Wouldn't that be counterproductive from their point of view?

Comment

Could you explain your point more? Do you mean that on a short hop like SINKULSIN or SINPENSIN, the cash/mile ratio is low - hence people should be 'encouraged' to burn the miles that way?

Comment

Could you explain your point more? Do you mean that on a short hop like SINKULSIN or SINPENSIN, the cash/mile ratio is low - hence people should be 'encouraged' to burn the miles that way?

No, rather, as an airline, I'd rather pax pay for it with cash than with miles.

Comment

I think this method might create a lot of background transactions that are costly to the airline. For example, there's one transaction for every refunded ticket; another for changes in FFP affiliation at check in, in the lounge or at the gate; etc. It also creates an incentive-compatibility problem unless a tranche of miles is kept as a deposit until the flight is taken; otherwise the FFP might get stuck with a deficit of miles (passengers who buy refundable tickets to redeem an award, and then ask for the ticket to be refunded). The airline could, technically, design a pricing system that takes all this into account, but the added complexity is also costly and might drive customers away to competitors with more transparent pricing.

It's simpler in the end to require miles after the flight is taken, and then to design processes for recovering miles that were not credited. It would be easier to check for the passenger's presence onboard.
                  ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
                    No, rather, as an airline, I'd rather pax pay for it with cash than with miles.
                    That's precisely my point SQflyergirl . So say if a passenger purchases a LHR/AKL/LHR ticket, and the miles are creditted immediately, they will be able to redeem a side trip, say SIN/PEN/SIN as part of the LHR/AKL/LHR trip. (So effectively their itinerary would be LHR SIN PEN SIN AKL SIN LHR)

If the miles are only creditted after flights, they will only get sufficient points for the SIN/PEN/SIN after they return to LHR. In that case, if they still want to go to PEN as part of the LHR/AKL/LHR trip, they will have to purchase the SIN/PEN/SIN with cash and not with miles. Hope I made myself clear here!

Comment

That's precisely my point SQflyergirl . So say if a passenger purchases a LHR/AKL/LHR ticket, and the miles are creditted immediately, they will be able to redeem a side trip, say SIN/PEN/SIN as part of the LHR/AKL/LHR trip. (So effectively their itinerary would be LHR SIN PEN SIN AKL SIN LHR)

If the miles are only creditted after flights, they will only get sufficient points for the SIN/PEN/SIN after they return to LHR. In that case, if they still want to go to PEN as part of the LHR/AKL/LHR trip, they will have to purchase the SIN/PEN/SIN with cash and not with miles. Hope I made myself clear here!
                      Ah sorry I misunderstood

Comment

Okay. SIA is going to credit my miles (although the claim is >6 mths).
                        Here's the email from KrisFlyer:
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        Dear Mr Acey

Thank you for your email to KrisFlyer Membership Services with regard to your Retroactive Mileage Claim.We apologise for the delay in our response to you.

We are pleased to inform you that the miles for the following flight have been processed and will be credited to your KrisFlyer account within 10 to 14 days after the submission of Retroactive Mileage Claim:

SQ479 20 April 2007 Johannesburg to Singapore Economy Class

You may wish to log on to our website www.krisflyer.com after 2 weeks to view your latest KrisFlyer account statement.

Mr Chang, should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you for your patience on this matter and we look forward to be of service to you again.
                        ----------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                        X