Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TG ROP vs BD

Hi all,

I noticed that most would recommend BD as a great FFP. Just wondering how you guys would compare this to TG's ROP?

As far as I know, ROP members get *S at 10000 miles. Sure *G is still 50,000 miles like SQ's KF but each tier is valid for 2 years, making it easier to re-qualify? ROP also gives tier bonus miles and upgrade vouchers.

Having said this, I do wonder why BD is still tops with frequent fliers. Am I missing something here? Do the bonus miles for BD (x 2 for C for example) count as tier qualification (I think KF doesn't allow this?)?

Thanks a million. And btw, I think this site is SO kewl!
    Last edited by emperorsr; 20 November 2007, 07:37 PM. Reason: forgot to include notifications..oops
    Have Passport Will Travel!

BD is popular due to to its excellent miles earn-burn ratio and ability to redeem miles with cash+miles. Some people may like the ability to have lifetime status after 10 years being *gold.

I'm no frequent flyer like some people here, so I found the cash+miles features very appealing

Comment

Welcome to SQTalk, emperorsr.

You're right to point out the advantages of ROP, particularly the upgrade vouchers / birthday awards and the 2-year qualification period. In addition, I think ROP doesn't reset your elite miles when you cross the different tier thresholds (there are two before *G in BD's program).

In my view, BD offers the following advantages:

1. Tier bonus: I think that for ROP, this takes the form of threshold miles when you achieve or renew *S and *G? BD's tier bonus is awarded as a percentage of base miles flown (25%). This means if you fly more than a specific amount (12,000 miles after getting BD *S, 20,000 miles after getting BD *G), the tier bonus is greater with BD. Note that this tier bonus applies to any of BD's partner airlines.

2. Higher COS bonus (100% for most business class flights [50% for SQ J], 200% for most first class flights [100% for SQ F or R] vs. respectively 25% and 50% for ROP) that counts towards elite qualification

3. Lower threshold for renewing *G: yes, the status is only for one year, but at 38,000 miles, the amount of flying isn't that onerous

4. Non-expiring miles that can be used in a cash+miles redemption: this accelerates the opportunity to use your miles, and doesn't create a rush to use miles before they expire at the three-year mark

How you weigh these advantages depends on your travel patterns and redemption preferences. Given mine, I find BD to be more favorable than ROP.
      Last edited by jjpb3; 22 November 2007, 05:49 AM.
      ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

TG ROP vs BD

HI again,

Thanks for the warm welcome and replies. I am still trying to figure out the best options for me.

Currently I am an Amex KF card member as well as a holder of the new Citibank Premiere Miles. I also put my HHonors miles into KF currently. I tend to fly with either SQ or TG and my base is Singapore. Some would say KF is convenient but sigh, it is just too hard and the customer service lines are impossible to get through.

I think I am not being smart about which program I am putting my credit card miles and hotel miles into. My main goal to be honest is to get lounge access, as I have hardly used my miles for redemption...yet.

Do you think that BD is still the way to go? I kinda figured that yes, it takes only 38, 000 miles for a year's worth of *G but 50,000 on ROP for the same status for two years.

Also got the following questions:

Do tier and COS bonuses on BD count for status qualification? I know that ROP's threshold miles don't and neither do SQ's bonus miles. Only actual miles flown. In the same vein, do miles converted from credit cards, hotel programs etc, count for qualification for BD?

In doing redemptions, as I don't fly on BMI much, is the amount required for Star Alliance carriers terrible? TG just increased their redemption rates on partner alliances by an average of 10,000 miles. So hmm.

Do BD miles expire at all? I do like the cash and miles though.

BD's upgrade vouchers are only for their own carrier? Which means if you don't fly with them, then it doesn't serve you...

I hope someone can shine the light and I can finally stick to one program. I have moved all accrual currently to TG and in less than 3 months got my *S. They have three periods of qualification and it seems to make it easier to get to the next level...

Thanks a million guys
        Have Passport Will Travel!

Comment

I guess the way I organized my reply didn't make things too clear?
          Originally posted by emperorsr View Post
          Do tier and COS bonuses on BD count for status qualification? I know that ROP's threshold miles don't and neither do SQ's bonus miles. Only actual miles flown. In the same vein, do miles converted from credit cards, hotel programs etc, count for qualification for BD?
          See #2 in my reply. Tier bonuses and miles transferred or earned from non-*A options don't count towards elite qualification.
          Do BD miles expire at all? I do like the cash and miles though.
          See the first word in #4.
          In doing redemptions, as I don't fly on BMI much, is the amount required for Star Alliance carriers terrible? TG just increased their redemption rates on partner alliances by an average of 10,000 miles. So hmm.
          See the table in this link (redemptions within Asia are within or between Zones 7 and 8). Multiply the figures by 1.5 or 2 for Business Class and First Class redemptions, respectively. Then halve those to get the cash+miles level. "Terrible" is in the eyes of the beholder, but I personally don't think these numbers are too bad with miles+cash. YMMV.

Good luck with the choice.
          Last edited by jjpb3; 23 November 2007, 02:48 PM. Reason: added link
          ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Working...
          X