Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Christmas Night in Singapore (Bugis): are places closed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas Night in Singapore (Bugis): are places closed?

I've never had to spend Christmas night in Singapore all by my lonesome , so I just wanted to check that it isn't like London, which is a ghost town on Christmas Day.

Do places (mainly restaurants and stores) close? Or close early? I'd like to prepare myself in case I have to content myself with the in-house restaurant of the IC.
    Last edited by jjpb3; 19 November 2007, 05:04 AM. Reason: Hotel now chosen!
    ‘Lean into the sharp points’

IIRC, unlike London, almost all bars, restaurants and shops in Singapore are open on Christmas (I think with normal hours), so I am sure you can find ways to entertain yourself.

Comment

Good to know. Now to find a good restaurant I haven't tried yet ...

Or maybe I'll just head out to a good hawker centre (don't know whether there's a walkable one from the IC).

Comment

I like the IC. It was the first hotel I ever stayed at in Singapore.

Another early memory is ordering a beer at the IC bar and getting the bill for it.

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
          Or maybe I'll just head out to a good hawker centre (don't know whether there's a walkable one from the IC).
          There is one very close to the IC.

Comment

Originally posted by MAN Flyer View Post
            There is one very close to the IC.
            Yeah, IIRC from my bus trips passing thro that place. The hawker centre was around the corner but for th life of me, cannot remember the name. jjpb3,This might help.

Comment

Albert Centre? Cross the set of traffic lights at Bugis junction and it is along the way to OG. Most stalls are shut by abt 1030pm.

Many kopitiams in that area anyway. Should not have any problems finding food.

Actually I just looked at SQFAN's map. Albert Centre market is listed on the map. jjpb3, no excuse to get lost now!

Comment

Thanks, MAN Flyer, SQFAN (printed the map out) and phaleesy.

(phaleesy, never underestimate my capacity to get lost despite having a map. )

Comment

jjpb3, there's quite a bit of nice places to eat near the IC: Purvis St, Liang Seah St and Tan Quee Lan st. All a couple of minutes walk away

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                    jjpb3, there's quite a bit of nice places to eat near the IC: Purvis St, Liang Seah St and Tan Quee Lan st. All a couple of minutes walk away
                    Yeah, there is a nice Hainanese Chicken rice along Purvis Street which is very authentic(Inclusive of the grumpy old hainanese boss behind the counter). And I recall going there on Christmas Day itself.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the tips. Now I have too many options.

Comment

Excellent, thanks for the tips. Now I have too many options.
                        You have only one choice - chicken rice.

Comment

Originally posted by SQFAN View Post
                          You have only one choice - chicken rice.
                          What no satay

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                            What no satay
                            but he is just too close for some proper Hainanese chicken rice.

With respect to Malay food, I am not sure of any nice place unless Adam Road hawker centre but that is a tad too far ...

Comment

I've never had to spend Christmas night in Singapore all by my lonesome , so I just wanted to check that it isn't like London, which is a ghost town on Christmas Day.
                              Love that ghost town in the UK on Xmas Day, I think more than a few tourists are taken aback by it though..

Comment

Working...
                              X