Youth Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youth Olympics

The youth olympics will be chosen by the IOC in Feb. of 2008. The bidding cities:
    Athens
    Bangkok
    Debrecen
    Guatemala City
    Kuala Lumpur
    Moscow
    Poznan
    Singapore
    Turin

So far the front-runners seem to be Singapore, Athens, Moscow and Turin; but the finalist cities will be listed on November 19th.

Who do you think is best suited for this?

For me, I think its time that SG gets to host a large-scale sporting event. Its good as next year the world's first night-race for F1 will be held in SG and more global events are being planned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq9jvN9IeOE a video for the Singapore 2010 bid

www.singapore2010.sg the official bid website

singapore certainly seems to be taking this the most seriously of all the cities as I have found no website and almost nothing about the other cities' bids.
    Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Good Luck, Singapore! I hope there will be some sort of rare charter planes arriving in SIN. Athens probably stands a good chance too, especially as they hosted the 2004 Olympics.
    Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

It was just confirmed yesterday. The finalist cities:

Singapore
      Moscow
      Athens
      Turin
      Bangkok
      Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Yay! But some tough competition.
        Singapore Airlines - A great way to fly...

Comment

Will these olympics feature all the activities of the normal Olympics? If yes, where are they going to sail in Singapore?

I think Singapore and Bangkok have the best chances on winning because Athens and Turin had the last full-scale Olympics and Russia will also have theirs soon.

Good luck!
          Capslock is cruise control for cool... not!

See you at W:O:A 2010- rain or shine!

Comment

Well I'm a little late at posting but Moscow and Singapore are the confirmed final two cities. The big decision will be made February 21.

Seems that Moscow is getting worried, this article mentions the mayor of Moscow basically saying that Singapore does not have the right to run in the olympics because Beijing is hosting the 2008 summer games. It's really stupid and he makes the mistake of saying that Beijing is in Southeast Asia.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/...s/olympics.php

Comment

Thank God Kul was not chosen. We need the traffic jams like Bill Gates needs money.

Comment

Originally posted by sqforever View Post
                Well I'm a little late at posting but Moscow and Singapore are the confirmed final two cities. The big decision will be made February 21.

Seems that Moscow is getting worried, this article mentions the mayor of Moscow basically saying that Singapore does not have the right to run in the olympics because Beijing is hosting the 2008 summer games. It's really stupid and he makes the mistake of saying that Beijing is in Southeast Asia.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/...s/olympics.php
                And he backs that up by criticising Singapore for its humid weather recently too. Wow...Singapore is really making them sweat!
                Help make this article a better one!

Comment

Singapore wins!!

Comment

Yes! It is the first time that a city in Southeast Asia will host the olympics!

Comment

Moscow could have won if the Russian government decides before today's poll to stop ripping people like me in terms of $$$ just by getting a simple per entry visa.

Comment

the results are
                        Singapore : 53
                        Moscow : 44

Comment

The margin wasent as wide as expected, so the result could have gone either way. Phew!

I am certainly elated and I hope to be involved somehow!

Comment

Originally posted by bugaboo
                            youth olympics. its like youth world cup and womens world cup. nobody cares.
                            It may not get as much attention as the normal summer olympics and such, but it is still a big thing for Singapore, our sports movement, and our steps towards further international recognition. I heard there was a big party at the Padang and the PM and several thousand people showed up to see the announcement made live from Switzerland.

Comment

Originally posted by bugaboo
                              youth olympics. its like youth world cup and womens world cup. nobody cares.
                              Until this phenomena occurs even during the games, I would say this comment is premature.

Comment

Working...
                              X