Luggage tags - what do people use ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Luggage tags - what do people use ?

I'm aware that there are luggage tag threads in the SQ forum on TOF, e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382658
    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=549497

but I thought I'd start an updated one here - what tags do you have on your luggage ?

My rollaboard is well within the allowed dimensions so I don't need to put any status tag on there for any lenience (not that it would do any good with BAA in the UK!). I suppose something like the PPS tag would be good in case I misplace my hand luggage but (i) so far I've never been that careless; (ii) I don't want to attract unwanted attention; and (iii) from what I read on here, the PPS casing/tag would break very quickly and it's a PITA to get replacements here in the UK. As such, I only have a TOF luggage tag with one end diplomatically snipped off - nobody has so far stopped me as a result of seeing that.

(As an aside, perhaps we need a SQTalk tag similar to the TOF one ? There are now 60+ registered members on here, I've only been fortunate enough to meet less than a dozen of you so it would be nice to be able to recognise someone upon an accidental meeting in SIN or somewhere else. Maybe someone could come up with a design if short of things to do on a Sunday afternoon ?)

My checked suitcase only has an IAPA tag and also an IAPA sticker stuck on my case inside and outside - both have my name and number. Guy Betsy mentioned it in one of the threads referred to above - for the baggage tracking if lost - so I thought if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me*.

I don't attach a status tag such as PPS for reasons (ii) and (iii) above. However, I appreciate status may be useful in dealing with an airline if luggage has been lost.

* I'm not sure about the value of this. I've only had my luggage lost (as opposed to not making a connecting flight) once. Rather than sit at home doing nothing, I made lots of phone calls myself and when I eventually had confirmation that my luggage had been found, I phoned IAPA to tell them and had them tell me that (apparently!) they had just confirmed the same and were about to tell me.
    Last edited by jhm; 26 November 2006, 08:45 PM.

This is my luggage. All i do is attach the required tags and he shows up where needed

Note: Identity concealed to protect the innocent, shy and naive

Last edited by SQflyergirl; 26 November 2006, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
      This is my luggage. All i do is attach the required tags and he shows up where needed
      A hard exterior with strong handles!

Comment

Originally posted by SQflyergirl View Post
        What baggage that is!

Time to retire the beat-up old thing, and get one of newer models! (I hear you can get a decent PPS discount at Planet Traveller in Marina Bay. )
        Last edited by jjpb3; 26 November 2006, 09:52 PM.
        ‘Lean into the sharp points’

Comment

Back on topic (ahem) ...

I agree with you, jhm, that the standardisation of luggage allowances across the EU makes the status tags less needed. So now I just use the one that will make it less likely that someone (who might have chosen the same type of luggage) would pick mine up by mistake. In Europe, this means using my Asian (SQ or CX [, for the benefit of CGK ])tags. In Asia, it means using my European (BA or BD) tags. I used my old KF ES tags on my hold luggage when I went to the YVR SIN Do. I figured people don't use those tags on the LHR-SFO-YVR route.

Sometimes, when I know the trip will be one of those stressful business trips, I use the tags that really just cheer me up. In those cases, I tend to use my SQ elite FF tags. I've earned them on my own dime, and they were earned while flying my favourite airline.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
            A hard exterior with strong handles!
            stylish and classy to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
              Sometimes, when I know the trip will be one of those stressful business trips, I use the tags that really just cheer me up. In those cases, I tend to use my SQ elite FF tags. I've earned them on my own dime, and they were earned while flying my favourite airline.
              You freak!
              Just kidding - I actually use them more to cheer me up as well.
              Having them on my rollaway (even when flying GA like today) reminds me of the way they treat me as a TPP. It cheers me up.

I don't use my SQ TPP or CX MPO luggage tags on my check-in luggage. They are way too precious for that!

I (almost) always recognize my check-in bags - even with no personalizations whatsoever. We sorta have special connections, my bags and I.

Comment

Originally posted by StarG View Post
                We sorta have special connections, my bags and I.
                Mmm hmm, I hear that you even feel their pain when the TSA mangles their zippers.
                Last edited by jjpb3; 27 November 2006, 12:23 AM. Reason: Re-phrasing

Comment

On my hand luggage I have a CX one (even had before I had ever flown CX) and a LH FT card (first status card I ever got). On my check in luggage I have my LH SEN cards as they are in a leather holder so do not break. Given up on putting my PPS cards on anything as they break every trip.

Comment

I like my black and red VS Upper Class bag tag. They take the beating pretty well.

I already lost a Tumi bag tag in MES. Broke my heart.

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                      I already lost a Tumi bag tag. Broke my heart.
                      Wasn't it a leather tag? Does that mean the baggage handlers actually took the time to un-buckle the tag? (That makes me hesitate about putting any reasonably nice tags on my checked luggage.) Out of curiosity, on which segment was the tag lost?

Comment

Originally posted by jjpb3 View Post
                        Wasn't it a leather tag? Does that mean the baggage handlers actually took the time to un-buckle the tag? (That makes me hesitate about putting any reasonably nice tags on my checked luggage.) Out of curiosity, on which segment was the tag lost?
                        Yup leather. I actually think it wasn't the bag handlers because the strap was still there. Just the buckle snapped. Probably metal fatigue. It wasn't anything like the current bag tags, but still . I was on MI from SIN to MES.

Comment

I use the TOF tag

Comment

Originally posted by globetrekker84 View Post
                            Yup leather. I actually think it wasn't the bag handlers because the strap was still there. Just the buckle snapped. Probably metal fatigue. It wasn't anything like the current bag tags, but still . I was on MI from SIN to MES.
                            I have lost a couple of Tumi tags myself. I don't put them on my check in bags anymore. I guess that is the only personalization I have on them.

Comment

Originally posted by 9V-JKL View Post
                              I use the TOF tag
                              Me too...along with my IC RA tag on my rollaboard. My laptop bag has SQ Boeing 777 metal tags.

Comment

Working...
                              X