Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Transit: Stay in Changi or Go Out to the City?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Transit: Stay in Changi or Go Out to the City?

Thats what im trying to get a feel for, because im not staying in SIN, i wont need any singapore money, but im wondering if i just get $50 Singapore dollar, i can just buy breakfast and drinks.....

Anyone recommend a nice place to eat?? Something breakfasty in the terminal SQ will arrive at..... and anyone know rough costs for food?

Sorry for all the dumb questions! i just wanna be prepared, dont want to walk into changi with no money and say damn im hungry!!

S$50 should be much more than enough for some food at one of the hawker centres (about S$5-10 for a meal I think - someone can confirm) and some (non-alcoholic) drinks.

If you run out, just use one of the ATMs in the terminal or just change some A$.

If you're going to be there from 5am to 11am, consider also taking the MRT (train) to town, walking around, getting some food there etc.

Comment

Originally posted by jhm View Post
      S$50 should be much more than enough for some food at one of the hawker centres (about S$5-10 for a meal I think - someone can confirm) and some (non-alcoholic) drinks.

If you run out, just use one of the ATMs in the terminal or just change some A$.

If you're going to be there from 5am to 11am, consider also taking the MRT (train) to town, walking around, getting some food there etc.
      HMMM now youve made me think!! According to the Changi website it says it would take 27 mins to go from airport to city at a cost of $2.......now im wondering if i should just do it....

How much of a pain would immigration be though? like do i have to fill out forms and stuff...

Comment

Originally posted by SQ77WMEL View Post
        HMMM now youve made me think!! According to the Changi website it says it would take 27 mins to go from airport to city at a cost of $2.......now im wondering if i should just do it....

How much of a pain would immigration be though? like do i have to fill out forms and stuff...
        If you've never been to Singapore before (which sounds like the case ?), then you should definitely go and have a look around. Don't just stay at the airport for 6 hours.

You fill in one form for immigration - it shouldn't take you more than 5-10 minutes.

Comment

SQ77WMEL, I agree with jhm. I do not know what time you arrive and how long you've got.

If your transit duration is long-ish, head into town and explore. That's the beauty of it all. Do consider taking the SIA hop on bus. (Info on SQ website.) to get an overall feel. BTW, you won't go hungry in SIN. jhm can attest to that and I can safely say he was spoilt for choice

Alternatively, you can take a snooze and a swim within Changi Airport.

Comment

Originally posted by SQ77WMEL View Post

You fill out the form on the plane, and going through immigration is normally a breeze.

I agree with jhm and SQFAN--if you've got a few hours, definitely go into the city to explore a bit and get some local food at a hawker centre or food court. It is inexpensive and very good.

Comment

Originally posted by MovieMan View Post
              You fill out the form on the plane, and going through immigration is normally a breeze.

I agree with jhm and SQFAN--if you've got a few hours, definitely go into the city to explore a bit and get some local food at a hawker centre or food court. It is inexpensive and very good.
              I also agree. go into singapore and EAT!!!! Chilli crab on the east coast is not far from Changi. Any hawker is good for some nice eats really.......A plate of char kway teow should be like $4 SGD or less. roti Prata with curry would be like $3 and $1 for another piece of prata. Trust me and others, $50 sing would buy you a delicious hawker feast that could be shared with 5 or more people! Chinese, Malay, Indian; all of singapore's main cultures serve food at hawkers with the unique Singapore twist.
              Last edited by sqforever; 14 November 2007, 03:29 AM.
              Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

I arrive at 5:25 am on SQ218 from MEL, then leave at 11am on....whatever flight goes to HKG at that time. Is that long enough???

Comment

I think you'll be in the city centre before 7am if you take the MRT and can spend about 2 hours there - more than enough time to have a look around and get some decent food for very little cost!

Comment

You can have breakfast in town and maye go to a couple of tourist attractions in the city. However, you have to be quick.

Comment

Alternatively you could catch the cab and be in the city in about 20 mins. Costs much less than a similar journey in MEL too.

You might want to check out one of those Singaporean coffee shops for breakfast. I usually go to those around the nightclubs in Chinatown. Unfortunately I can't remember any of their names. But they're pretty good and exceedingly cheap to boot. For less than $10 you can fill yourself up with some kaya (a type of local jam, usually pretty sweet) with toast, eggs and a long black (the only coffee they seem to do). I'm sure the SIN-based SQTalkers will be able to recommend some of these places.
                      All opinions shared are my own, and are not necessarily those of my employer or any other organisation of which I'm affiliated to.

Comment

Alternatively since T3 Open House is ON now, maybe it would be good to drop by the terminal for a short tour.

Maybe you wanna drop by Staff Canteen either at T1 or T2 which serves great food too.

Cheers!
                        A380 - European Pride!

Comment

Unfortunately, you can't go to the open house. Maybe you can visit it next year, but you can't take any pics of the immigration after then. Your flight is at 11, I believe its SQ862. And that flight is a 77W, that is if you are on SQ. If you are on SQ, enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                            You might want to check out one of those Singaporean coffee shops for breakfast. I usually go to those around the nightclubs in Chinatown. Unfortunately I can't remember any of their names. But they're pretty good and exceedingly cheap to boot. For less than $10 you can fill yourself up with some kaya (a type of local jam, usually pretty sweet) with toast, eggs and a long black (the only coffee they seem to do). I'm sure the SIN-based SQTalkers will be able to recommend some of these places.
                            Kaya is a pretty nice idea. ya Kun kaya toast has many locations island-wide and has some pretty nice kopitiam (coffee shop) kaya toast. I usually like Nasi Lemak for breakfast; the best I think is in Punggol and at a certain stall in Ang Mo kio but thats out of your way. You could still probably find a good nasi Lemak at other stalls.
                            Such a way about you, My Singapore Girl. Wouldn't go away without you, My Singapore Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by KeithMEL View Post
                              Alternatively you could catch the cab and be in the city in about 20 mins. Costs much less than a similar journey in MEL too.

KeithMEL just captured my exact thought. There one corner shop in Chinatown and it opens very early. You can head over there for some freshly made kaya (aka screwpine) toast, a proper coffee with a 'light' laksa. If you're interested, just get back in touch and I'll try to find the name of the shop for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X